Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
suzatm07
0 Kudos

Phasing out Nook?

I have had three people tell me that the first Nook is being phased out now that Nook Color is here.  M-Edge - which is where I have bought most of my covers for my Nook is not creating any new products for the original Nook and are slowly phasing out what they have. So is that a sign that these people are right?

I love my Nook.  I have had it since the end of last summer and I have it with me at all times.  I am an avid reader and I will admit that I have spent a lot of money on books.  I read about three books per week sometimes four.  I am very happy with the reader and there really isn't anything negative I can say about it.  Maybe the battery life could be longer but I just plug it in every morning next to my cell phone while I take my shower and get ready for work so it really is no big deal.  I have a spare plug that I keep at work to charge it if needed when I am there. 

The Nook Color sounds great - I've investigated it - but I like not having a back lit screen and I really like the fact that when the battery goes I can install my own.  I'm not interested in web browsing and I really don't like listening to music while I read so the original Nook (or WiFI only version that I own) is just right for me.

In short - I guess I just want to say that I reallly hope what I was told is wrong and that B&N keeps the original Nook going along with the Nook Color.

New User
Boo_Carter08
0 Kudos

Re: Phasing out Nook?

I'm with you on that.  I really like the nook Classic.  If I wanted the color I would get an iPad and I don't want one. 

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

I agree with you. Not everyone wants a tablet. I would hope that with all the sales B&N had this Christmas (with the Nook Color out) they will continue with the Nook classic for quite a while.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Distinguished Correspondent
avid_reader1590
0 Kudos

I agree totally! I have had my Nook since 12/09 and love it! All I want to do is read a book; not play games, get on the internet or even play music.....just read. If I wanted to do all the other stuff I would have gotten an Ipad instead. I got my teenage grandson an Ipad  for Christmas and while it is pretty cool, to me it is like reading a book on the computer; very hard on the eyes.  I certainly hope that B&N will continue to make and support Nook Classic and those of us that just want to read! 

It is better to stir up a question without deciding it, than to decide it without stirring it up. ~Joseph Joubert

Frequent Contributor
bikechuck
0 Kudos

I hope that if the current version of the Nook classic is discontinued that it is replaced with a next gen eink reader. 

There has to be a ton of people that prefer a simpler eink device to a heavier tablet like device.  The Nook Color is pretty cool (my wife has one) but I prefer my classic.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Do the three people referred to in the original post have any inside information or some reason to give credibility to the rumors?  Unfounded rumors are truly meaningless.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
pgoess
0 Kudos

I hope they are just rumors. I just received my Nook and love it. I saw the Nook Color in our local B&N when I went there just after the holidays (testing out the In Store features) and didn't like it as much as the Classic. It would be a very terrible thing to do to all the people who just got one if they are now going to phase them out.

"When I step into this library, I cannot understand why I ever step out of it." Mme. de Sévigné
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

suzatm07 wrote:

I have had three people tell me that the first Nook is being phased out now that Nook Color is here.  M-Edge - which is where I have bought most of my covers for my Nook is not creating any new products for the original Nook and are slowly phasing out what they have. So is that a sign that these people are right?

I love my Nook.  I have had it since the end of last summer and I have it with me at all times.  I am an avid reader and I will admit that I have spent a lot of money on books.  I read about three books per week sometimes four.  I am very happy with the reader and there really isn't anything negative I can say about it.  Maybe the battery life could be longer but I just plug it in every morning next to my cell phone while I take my shower and get ready for work so it really is no big deal.  I have a spare plug that I keep at work to charge it if needed when I am there. 

The Nook Color sounds great - I've investigated it - but I like not having a back lit screen and I really like the fact that when the battery goes I can install my own.  I'm not interested in web browsing and I really don't like listening to music while I read so the original Nook (or WiFI only version that I own) is just right for me.

In short - I guess I just want to say that I reallly hope what I was told is wrong and that B&N keeps the original Nook going along with the Nook Color.

Do these three people really know anything, do they work for B&N, or are they mistaken (like so many others) in thinking that the NOOKColor is an upgrade to the nook.  They are two different devices, with different features.  There are many people who have no desire for the features of the NOOKColor, so until B&N stops manufacturing/selling the nook, it is simply that - a rumor.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@suzatm07

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

I wouldn't worry:  B&N has been absolutely clear that NookColor is NOT a next-generation Nook.  It's a different product aimed at a different market segment.  As for M-Edge or any other aftermarket company not creating any more products for the Nook, well, how many new ideas for covers can you get after a while, anyway?  :smileytongue:

About every three months, somebody starts running around here like Chicken Little, sobbing, "the Nook is falling!  The Nook is falling!"  It's silly -- don't let it distract you from your reading.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
beachreadJN
0 Kudos

Nook owners should be given the opportunity to purchase a Nook Color at a discounted price. Very dissappointing to be unable to select some of the new magazine and newspaper offerings in addition to the books I already purchase for reading on my Nook. Time to move on to other alternatives I suppose.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

beachreadJN wrote:

Nook owners should be given the opportunity to purchase a Nook Color at a discounted price. Very dissappointing to be unable to select some of the new magazine and newspaper offerings in addition to the books I already purchase for reading on my Nook. Time to move on to other alternatives I suppose.

Huh?  Why? 

If you want a Nook Color at a cheaper price wait a while.  The price will come down.  Just because I purchased a Nook Classic does not entitle me to a discount for every subsequent product that B&N sells.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

beachreadJN wrote:

Why?  The NOOKColor is NOT an upgrade to the nook.  If you have a nook and want a NC, go ahead and sell your nook and buy one.  Or keep it and buy a NC.  There are people on the boards that happily switch between their nook and NC, depending on what they want to read.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

suzatm07, I'm glad you love your Nook and I hope Barnes and Noble does not phase it out.  I will tell you, suzatm07, that I own a NOOKcolor and love it but I just want it to read books and I don't care about surfing the Internet, listening to music, checking E-mail, etc. 

What bothers me is the issue where so many are clamoring for the NOOKcolor to become the ultimate Android toy and I hope that Barnes and Noble will not let this Android feature take over the main feature of the device that of being an eReader. 

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Correspondent
Anthony1970

[ Edited ]

beachreadJN wrote:

Do you know how many have posted this same thing since NOOKcolor came out???? Too many. Its disheartening to see that there are so many people out there that think like this. Sorry but that is just not common sense thinking. You are of course not entitled to any kind of rebate on a nookcolor. Your current book purchases will work on any other nook platform. You are not losing your purchases. You wouldnt expect a rebate on a $900 computer 6 months down  the line would you????

Funny how we get so many of these 1 post newbies saying the same thing.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Anthony1970 wrote:

You wouldnt expect a rebate on a $900 computer 6 months down  the line would you????

Probably

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

beachreadJN wrote:

They just keep coming out of the woodwork . . . . . Wonder when they'll stop ??

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
mjk2007
0 Kudos

I really, really hope they don't.

E-Ink is so much better than a backlit LCD screen for normal, long-form reading.  It's still the better choice for readers who are primarily interested in reading standard books that consist of just text.

Plus the battery life advantages that go with the E-Ink display are especially useful for an eReader.  I like being able to take my Nook with me for a week-long vacation, and not have to worry about bringing a charger along with me.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

suzatm07 wrote:

I have had three people tell me that the first Nook is being phased out now that Nook Color is here.  M-Edge - which is where I have bought most of my covers for my Nook is not creating any new products for the original Nook and are slowly phasing out what they have. So is that a sign that these people are right?.

I think it's quite possible the Nook Classic is being phased out, but not in favor of the Nook Color.  I think B&N is working on an updated version of the Nook Classic which will retain the E-Ink screen but contain enhancements to better compete with the newer Kindle and Sony E-ink readers.

New User
omijay
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ABthree wrote:

@suzatm07

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

I wouldn't worry:  B&N has been absolutely clear that NookColor is NOT a next-generation Nook.  It's a different product aimed at a different market segment.  As for M-Edge or any other aftermarket company not creating any more products for the Nook, well, how many new ideas for covers can you get after a while, anyway?  :smileytongue:

About every three months, somebody starts running around here like Chicken Little, sobbing, "the Nook is falling!  The Nook is falling!"  It's silly -- don't let it distract you from your reading.

"The Nook is falling!  The Nook is falling!"  LOL.  Made my day.  I'm with ABthree--i'll wait to worry until BN makes an announcement.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

Why should anyone be worried???? Its not like their Nooks would self destruct if BN phased it out. But yeah Im pretty sure they would have a new Nook 2 coming out this year if the current one would be phased out.