Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

Picked up my Nook Simple Touch yesterday and love it:)

My preorder came in to mu local store yesterday and I picked it up. I can't believe how light and nice to hold it is. Very intuitive to operate. I did notice some shadowing with page turns but this was resolved by restarting and has not recurred since. The shop has an interesting feature that shows books your Nook Friends like. It has the crispest eink screen I have seen(I also have the original Nook and the Kindle 3). There are multiple ways to turn pages. You ccan tap, swipe or use the buttons on the side. There are two buttons on each side like the original but sleeker and there is an option to decide whether the top or bottom button is the page forward or back button. There is a notification area at the top with a reading now button similar to the NookColor notification bar. The library loads much faster and there is a button that lets you bring up a list of all the lend me books. Really loving it so far and would love to write more but my elderly dalmation just pooped on my chihuahua and I need to clean him up! Will try to check back and answer any questions.
Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

Re: Picked up my Nook Simple Touch yesterday and love it:)

lol~

I hope you're joking about the pooping incident. :smileyhappy:

But please do tell more about the Nook Touch after you wash him~

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

That's the funniest thing I've read all day.  :smileyvery-happy:

Though sorry for you and your chihuahua, you guys probably don't find it as funny.

Glad to hear you like your new nook.  Mine should be arriving today.  I can't wait!

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I thought the device wasn't going to be out until sometime next week?  Did they move up the date from June the 10th?

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Contributor
adunofaiur
0 Kudos

B&N is ahead of schedule. I held one to day in store, and, while it's text is inferior to the Kindle 3 at small sizes, I must admit I might pick one up.

Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

Apachee really did poop on little Nacho, they were curled up in the same bed. Nacho is just lucky Patch didn't fart cause then he would be dead! That dog could be a biological weapon:smileywink: Seriously though love the new nook. Have noticed that managing nook friends is now done from the settings. Still playing aroud with the features. Have noticed I can now look up words in newspaper articles. Sharing quotes with facebook and twitter is easy. The nook already remembered my settings. The back is contoured and rubberized making it easy to hold. Another funny story. I was first to reserve one at my store so got the first one in yesterday. Went back today to read in store and the salesperson behind the nook counter came bouncing up and said "Hey is that an advance copy? How did you get that?" Me "Umm I picked up hete yesterday" Their own salespeople did not know they had come in. In their defense they only got 8 yesterday and all were picked up. One thing I have noticed is that the quick start guide said there is a full user guide on the device but I can't find it even after a search of the library and archives. Will call cs.
Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

Found the manual. It was just titled nook. I was searching under user guide.
Contributor
melmyers
0 Kudos

I picked up mine tonight, after fondling the display model for about 10 minutes. I love it. So much lighter, and I love being able to customize the page forward/back buttons. You can set it so the lower buttons are forward, top are back, or reverse that. Depending on how you hold the nook while reading. This will make it easy for me to switch hands and relieve shoulder strain.

Also, you can widen/narrow the margins. I havent loaded a non-B&N book yet, but on the old nook those pdf margins were annoying. Hopefully I'll be able to affect those, too.

Frequent Contributor
JaneRenee
0 Kudos

To those that have it - 

Have you noticed yourself accidentally touching the screen and causing the page to turn? That's the only thing I don't like.

Thanks!

-Jane Renee
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

earthangelrn2003 wrote:
My preorder came in to mu local store yesterday and I picked it up. I can't believe how light and nice to hold it is. Very intuitive to operate. I did notice some shadowing with page turns but this was resolved by restarting and has not recurred since. The shop has an interesting feature that shows books your Nook Friends like. It has the crispest eink screen I have seen(I also have the original Nook and the Kindle 3). There are multiple ways to turn pages. You ccan tap, swipe or use the buttons on the side. There are two buttons on each side like the original but sleeker and there is an option to decide whether the top or bottom button is the page forward or back button. There is a notification area at the top with a reading now button similar to the NookColor notification bar. The library loads much faster and there is a button that lets you bring up a list of all the lend me books. Really loving it so far and would love to write more but my elderly dalmation just pooped on my chihuahua and I need to clean him up! Will try to check back and answer any questions.

Glad you are enjoying your NE2.  Can't wait to get one of my own.

As for Apache and Nacho- my dog CJ once peed on my other dog CoCo's head and then a day later, came over to me while i was sitting indian style on the floor, hiked his leg up and peed all over me. My husband laughed so hard he almost fell over (and after my initial shock, I did too as I headed off to the shower while he cleaned the carpet!) So, I can definitely commiserate with you!  Still gotta love 'em though! :smileyvery-happy:

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

JaneRenee wrote:

To those that have it - 

Have you noticed yourself accidentally touching the screen and causing the page to turn? That's the only thing I don't like.

Thanks!

No,   my hands don't even touch the screen when I'm holding it becuase the frame is wide enough. I have to reach in to tap the screen if I want to turn the page that way, but I prefer to use the buttons.

Contributor
scoobysmom
0 Kudos

Same thing is happening to me but still loving this new nook.

Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

I have not had any trouble with accidental page turns so far.
Inspired Contributor
astrangerhere
0 Kudos

LOVE mine as well.  Played with the demo for half an hour before I bought it.  I've had a N1E for more than a year, and this little fella solves all my issues (combined library, more fonts, margin adjusting in all files, no niggling "apps" silliness, etc etc).

I havent slipped and turned a page, but redoing all my shelves took about 10% as long as it did on the N1E.  I have around 500 books (BN and non) on mine, and I have already happily reshelved them all.

Also, if you had a mem card in your N1E, you can pop it right into the N2E and away you go.

The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience. --To Kill a Mockingbird
New User
Fryderyk
0 Kudos

Shadowing

My Nook touch is about one week old.  At first shadowing was infrequent, but now it occurs freqently.  It's annoying.  I am wondering how this can be corrected, if it can be corrected.