Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1

Please Search Thread Topics Before Creating a Thread

Our eBooks Help Board has become overrun with duplicate threads.

Please help us maintain order and search for your topic before creating a new one. There are many solutions to issue with the nook documented on the board by fellow users, you need only do some searching to fine them.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

Re: Please Search Thread Topics Before Creating a Thread

Bumping this to the top!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Good advice.

Oh, and READ a thread before jumping on with a "Me Too" post.   So often the solution is already in the thread.  It looks silly when someone ends their me-too post with "Does anyone have a solution" and the solution is posted one or two posts above theirs in the chronological list.

And if you do start a thread, when someone replies with a solution or work around, please take the time to come back and mark that post as the solution.  This makes it easy for others to find it without having to read the entire thread.  Only the thread starter can do this.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

There are over 561 previous posts containing the words "Search" and "Thread" (well, 562 now)

I'd guess from a quick rough look at them that only about 10% actually refer to searching for previous posts in the forum.

90% failure rate.

That explains why people do not use the search feature more often.

P.S.

14 "Sticky" posts are way too much for a forum like this.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

But there are exactly three (well, 4 now) if you search for "Search thread"  in quotes.

The search here works pretty much like Google's so using quoted words becomes a phrase search.

And there is always Google itself:  http://lmgtfy.com/?q=%22Please+Search+Thread+Topics+Before+Creating+a+Thread%22+site%3Abarnesandnobl...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

There are over 561 previous posts containing the words "Search" and "Thread" (well, 562 now)

I'd guess from a quick rough look at them that only about 10% actually refer to searching for previous posts in the forum.

90% failure rate.

That explains why people do not use the search feature more often.

P.S.

14 "Sticky" posts are way too much for a forum like this.

Actually, I have many, many posts leading someone to the search string, I usually don't have any trouble at all finding what is needed.  People don't use the search function because they don't read before they post, I can't count the number of times someone posts "Help Me!" and two threads below is the same topic, often with the answer they seek...

These are the same reasons this thread won't help anything, after all it has to be for someone other than the first time poster that wants their work done for them, just ask them, they will tell you!

I had one poster jump all over me for not condensing the information for them out of all the "garbage" that was posted in the forum (I had directed them to the search string link) and "he didn't have time to do it, we just needed to answer him." 

Their time is much more valuable than ours, just ask them!

Yet another poster called me a "troll" for giving people the search string instead of the answers...

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

Sorry, if people feel that this thread is useless, just trying to get some of these first time users to look for a solution before posting a repeat thread topic.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Delenn1 wrote:

Sorry, if people feel that this thread is useless, just trying to get some of these first time users to look for a solution before posting a repeat thread topic.

I don't think anyone is saying it's useless, I think we are just expressing our frustration in general with those posters that refuse to search, read or think their time is more valuable than ours.  :smileyhappy:

It's a great try and I hope it works, but well, they are what they are!

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

Thanks!  I thought it was just me that's tired of repeat posts.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Delenn1 wrote:

Thanks!  I thought it was just me that's tired of repeat posts.

LOL  Not even close!  I set up a macro to answer them!  Just used it one the guy that wanted to know if B&N had sample books like Amazon does....  :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

That's just cool!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Delenn1 wrote:

That's just cool!!!

What's cool?

(and bump).

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

bump

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

That FrogAlum setup a macro to answer the duplicate quotations.

Frequent Contributor
Delenn1
0 Kudos

Bumping It Up!

New User
ColbyJacobs
0 Kudos

I'm new here. But those stickys are ridiculous. And some of them are so long where do we start reading? Sometimes a new post creates new discussion despite it being similar to something else. Those 'traditionally repeated posts' should be the stickys shouldn't they?

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

I so wanted to create another "Search for Threads before creating threads" thread out of a pure sense of ironic wit, but it will suffice that I have plotted and that others are aware.