Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Re: Please add back PDB support for all Nook devices

Globular wrote:

Who at Barnes and Noble can we lobby? I see lots of posts on these forums, if we each send an email to someone high up in the chain, will it get their attention?

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Ask-Your-Community-Manager/bd-p/askthemoderator

Samantha, the Community Manager, writes:

If you guys want to suggest brand initiatives or future product features, I will be able to collect them and send them along to appropriate internal teams.
Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

There's another idea. Can we find out who's in charge of the ebook or nook division at B&N and bombard that person with letters and emails?

Contributor
Globular
0 Kudos

Thanks Doug. I'm sending a PM to SLevine. I suggest all those who want native PDB support in all Nook devices do the same.

-Matt

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

If only...

But I doubt you will get any traction on this issue.  When my nook 3G eventually dies, I fear I will be relegated to reading my PDB's on my PC only  :smileysad:

Yeah - I've discovered that there are  tools out there that will bulk process the stripping if they are al the same credit card and name.  I had been resisting that.  I'm wondering if there is interest in a Fictionwise/ereader refugees Yahoo discussion group?

Frequent Contributor
romsfuulynn
0 Kudos

Globular wrote:

Before we try to dismantle the DCMA, which many others are already involved with, let's see what we can do with B&N and eReader ("A Barnes and Noble Company") so I can read the damn books I already bought on the Nook Color.

I, for one, have NOT purchased a Nook Color, nor will I purchase a Nook 2 (or whatever it's called), becasue they don't support a format that their own company continues to sell!

I'll even pay a fee to switch all my PDB books to ePub; like Apple did a while ago to strip DRM from your iTunes Purchased Songs.

Who at Barnes and Noble can we lobby? I see lots of posts on these forums, if we each send an email to someone high up in the chain, will it get their attention?

-Matt

What he said.  I own over 2000 secure ereader books purchased from ficitionwise and ereader.com.  I want Barnes and Noble to continue to provide some sort of device/software support to allow me to read that material on a B&N or widely available device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I own 100s of tapes and CDs. None of them will play on my brand-new Sony Walkman. And believe me, finding new equipment to play a cassette tape on these days, well...

Admittedly, the compatibility of electronic files is a much simpler problem to work with. And pdb support works just fine on the N1E. But to demand/expect B&N to continue to support a file format that is dead/dying in its new products is overstepping, IMO.

Would it be nice? Sure. Should it be fairly easy to do? Probably.

But does it matter to most of their customers and potential customers? I don't think so. We're a dedicated, vocal minority here. And though many of us have been doing the eBook thing for 10 years or more, the general public really only became aware of it with the advent of the Kindle a few years ago. And it really only heated up in the last 18 months with NOOK coming on the scene (and the iPad, etc).

So, the bulk of customers out there don't have a library of pdb books to worry about. For them it's a non-issue. I was just glad the N1E, which was obviously going to be an early adopter device, supported it. And it always will.

So I'll tend to its care like I do my cassette player and VHS player. But I'm not going to be indignant that these formats are essentially dead. Technology advances.

Again, pdb support would be nice, but is not something we should expect, IMO.

Contributor
Globular
0 Kudos

All of your CDs, and your tapes for that matter, can be legally converted to MP3s and listened to any any number of devices.I don't think that's a good analogy.

What if Apple sold all their iTunes purchased songs as file type X, then said all iPods from now on require file type Y, oh and you can't convert your Xs; you have to re-buy all your songs? This is what B&N did to us.

I think B&N should look at this as a revenue source. I'd pay $25 to port all my eReader books to ePub. I want a legal, reasonably priced, option to keep what I already bought.

I think what I really object to is us being completely and totally *ignored* by B&N!

-Matt

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

RHWright said "So, the bulk of customers out there don't have a library of pdb books to worry about. For them it's a non-issue."

Every ebook I download is a .pdb file.  I own a Mac and B&N has not addressed the issue of downloads with Macs (so I've been told).  I just purchased two books yesterday and then went to download them to my computer and they are .pdb files.

If B&N won't support the .pdb files then why are they still putting them out there?  .pdb files are the only file type I get unless it's a Smashword title, only then is it a .epub file.

Way to go B&N!  It's a shame that they can't even keep up with the technology they are trying to push.

Pinky

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Pink_Maiden wrote:

RHWright said "So, the bulk of customers out there don't have a library of pdb books to worry about. For them it's a non-issue."

Every ebook I download is a .pdb file.  I own a Mac and B&N has not addressed the issue of downloads with Macs (so I've been told).  I just purchased two books yesterday and then went to download them to my computer and they are .pdb files.

If B&N won't support the .pdb files then why are they still putting them out there?  .pdb files are the only file type I get unless it's a Smashword title, only then is it a .epub file.

Way to go B&N!  It's a shame that they can't even keep up with the technology they are trying to push.

Pinky

If you install the new Nook for Mac software all your books should download as ePub (according to what I have read, I do not have a Mac myself).

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

Thanks for the tip geertm, I just hope that I can read some of the .epubs in ADE.  I can't stand the Nook applications.  I'm thinking some of the older books in my library might associate with ADE without trouble, we'll see.

Thanks again,

Pinky

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Pinky

^This. If they weren't still supplying them to some of their customers, I'd understand it better. But if you're still going to supply the format, at least support it.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I don't know if the new NOOK for Mac works, but I know downloading books to your Mac through the NOOK Study will application will make them download as EPUB.

Correspondent
katworley

NookStudy for Mac and Nook for Mac both work, and if you have both, they'll actually read the same library folder (so if you download a book in one application, you don't have to download it again for the other).

History: Special people, in special places, at special times
Anthropology: everyone else the rest of the time...
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

katworley wrote:

NookStudy for Mac and Nook for Mac both work, and if you have both, they'll actually read the same library folder (so if you download a book in one application, you don't have to download it again for the other).

Great info, thank you!

Frequent Contributor
BluesBaby
0 Kudos

If anyone discovers a way to formally petition B&N to bring back support for the pdb format for all of their ereaders, I would love to add my signature to it.  I have way too many ebooks in this format to attempt to repurchase all of them...although, I did finally break down and grudgingly repurchase some of my favorites out of the over 400 that I own.

Wordsmith
Pink_Maiden
0 Kudos

@BluesBaby

My way around the issue with the .pdb files is to use the ORIGINAL ereader from B&N from Fictionwise. Personally I like this one better. 

To use ereader follow these directions:

First, download your B&N .pdb files to your computer.  Next go to ereader.com and make an account, totally free, then download the application for the iphone, ipod, computer...  Login to your ereader account (from your computer) and that should take you to your ereader bookshelf then look up at the upper right hand corner you should see this light blue bar that says "Personal Content".  Click on that bar and that will take you to where you can upload your books.  Then open your account on your ipod, ipod touch, computer... and download them to your device.  On the same screen as the Personal Content screen you might see-- "Your account is NOT set up to automatically send new purchases to your device's eReader Bookshelf."  But you can change that through your account settings, just click where it says "click here" to change your settings.

Here is the link for the software  eReader

I wish B&N didn't drop this ereader, it's great!  Send me a private message if you need any help.

Pinky:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pink_Maiden wrote:

Thanks for the tip geertm, I just hope that I can read some of the .epubs in ADE.  I can't stand the Nook applications.  I'm thinking some of the older books in my library might associate with ADE without trouble, we'll see.

Thanks again,

Pinky

I don't have a mac, but I tried to open some of my B&N downloaded epubs on ADE and could not.  The non-DRM'd epubs that I have (downloaded from sites other than B&N) open fine on ADE.

ETA: I just re-read this and realized it sounds like I'm pirating books.  All my non-DRM epubs were legally obtained.  :smileyhappy:

TNS
Distinguished Correspondent
TNS
0 Kudos

Its been pointed out to me that the N1E's, are now being sold while supplies last.

So after going back to fictionwise and downloading those books sold in multiformat, I still have 140 books from eReader/fictionwise in DRM'd PDB fromat.

So Barnes&Noble really needs to address this.  The easiest way, I think, is for them to add back PDB support.  The already own the software that does that, which was said by some to be the major reason the originally bought Fictionwise/eReader.

Contributor
Globular
0 Kudos

For now, send a private message to SLevine on this forum.

Ask for an explaination, and a response. I've gotten neither.

-Matt