Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
nlstein
0 Kudos

Re: Please teach your help B&N!

I take it back - sort off. Page 10 does talk about that fct that the nook syncs with of the Nook software. The problem is, it dosn't say how to do it or how it works. It doesn't tell you how to do it or if it does it automatically. In other words, it doesn't tell you anything other than it does it. No wonder I missed it - iwhat I want isn't there. Page 10 is usless when it comes to my questions. I DID read it but since it didn't tell me anything it didn't help and therefore there really isn't anything in the manual that does.

Your'e right technically but not helpful - just like the manual.

MacBoy
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

OP has a point, but maybe shouldn't have called staff "help".   But the point makes some sense.  Syncing between devices is a feature that I like to use.  If I did have a question, it would be nice to have confidence in the staff who man the nook stations.  Not unlike the fellow at the PC counter at Best Buy who had to have me tell him what RAM was (true story).

northlite

Honestly, some of the staff do need more training. When I had a problem with my N2E (it wouldn't turn on) the woman at the Nook desk turned the Nook over in her hands three times, then asked, "How do you turn it on?" I had to show her where the power button is. They were new, yes, but the store had a demo and apparently she had not been trained on it. Seems with a brand new product they'd expect a lot of people with questions and the Nook desk personnel should know how to operate it.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

Nooksie wrote:

Anmother case of a forum old timer who has nothing to offer a discussion but still takes the time to be rude to someone with a problem  she doesn't sympathize with.

Really?  You apparently read as well as you spell....  <-- that was rude.  My initial comments were not.  :smileywink:   [And apparently because you ascribe only evil intentions to everyone with over 200 posts, I'll disclaim, I know it was a typo, I don't actually think you can't spell, although I do think that sometimes you only read what you want to.  Again, I was attempting to make a point, one I'm sure you'll ignore.]

I pointed out that sometimes you get what you give.  

I didn't say I didn't sympathize with the fact that the staff (the employees, the associates) may be improperly trained.  I pointed out that the sheer fact that this poster though of them as "the help" implied that he might just not be treating said staff as well as he thinks he is.

Thinking of staff as "the help" is patronizing and condescending.  And when you think/believe a certain way you (maybe unintentionally!) behave the same way.  When he didn't get that was my point, I was a little more direct - but it still wasn't rude.  

Do I really believe they're lying to him?  No, but I do believe that if he is condescending and patronizing, (which thinking/referring to anyone as "the help" is) they have no incentive to go find out what he wants to know that they might not know.  They have an incentive to make.him.go.away.  And maybe they make up an answer to satisfy him.  So he'll go away.

Does that imply they need more training/retraining?  Absolutely.  But that was not what I wanted to add to the conversation.  I wanted to add the thought that perhaps how we approach situations affects their outcome.  :smileywink:

gnkc
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Nooksie wrote:

Anmother case of a forum old timer who has nothing to offer a discussion but still takes the time to be rude to someone with a problem  she doesn't sympathize with.

Really?  You apparently read as well as you spell....  <-- that was rude.  My initial comments were not.  :smileywink:   [And apparently because you ascribe only evil intentions to everyone with over 200 posts, I'll disclaim, I know it was a typo, I don't actually think you can't spell, although I do think that sometimes you only read what you want to.  Again, I was attempting to make a point, one I'm sure you'll ignore.]

I pointed out that sometimes you get what you give.  

I didn't say I didn't sympathize with the fact that the staff (the employees, the associates) may be improperly trained.  I pointed out that the sheer fact that this poster though of them as "the help" implied that he might just not be treating said staff as well as he thinks he is.

Thinking of staff as "the help" is patronizing and condescending.  And when you think/believe a certain way you (maybe unintentionally!) behave the same way.  When he didn't get that was my point, I was a little more direct - but it still wasn't rude.  

Do I really believe they're lying to him?  No, but I do believe that if he is condescending and patronizing, (which thinking/referring to anyone as "the help" is) they have no incentive to go find out what he wants to know that they might not know.  They have an incentive to make.him.go.away.  And maybe they make up an answer to satisfy him.  So he'll go away.

Does that imply they need more training/retraining?  Absolutely.  But that was not what I wanted to add to the conversation.  I wanted to add the thought that perhaps how we approach situations affects their outcome.  :smileywink:

Maybe the 'staff' shouldn't be in retail if they are looking for incentives to make customers go away? I don't understand the problem with the term 'help' but then again, I haven't read the book OR seen the movie. :smileytongue:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gnkc wrote:

Maybe the 'staff' shouldn't be in retail if they are looking for incentives to make customers go away? I don't understand the problem with the term 'help' but then again, I haven't read the book OR seen the movie. :smileytongue:

Ah, but they didn't "go looking" for the incentive.  They're given it by patronizing, condescending customers who make them feel two inches tall by behaving superiorly.  :smileywink:  

[The staff] ought to be trained to a) know everything so they can make those people go away quickly by providing them with the proper information b) curtail the superiority by being overly solicitous.  While this approach doesn't always work, it does most of the time.  When it doesn't, the proper response is "I'm sorry I can't help you further.  I'll get my manager."

That's B&N's failing that they haven't properly trained their staff - both in how to deal with a demanding and often difficult public and by teaching them how their products work.  Clearly the employees in the OP's examples failed.  

Perhaps, they would have failed by simply saying "I don't know" if they hadn't been thought of as "the help."

MegSLP

It is a simple fact in retail that the attitude you give to the sales associate will directly impact the attitude/level of help you will receive. I worked retail for five years while I was working on my bachelors and masters degrees. If a customer approached me in a respectful/nice manner then I would always bend over backwards for them to make their experience as pleasant as possible. However, if someone approached me in a rude, denigrating manner then I would give them the bare minimum in hopes that they would leave. That is a simple fact of life. If you go to a restaurant and are rude to the waitress, don't be surprised to find out that she spit in your food or did something similar to it. Treating people with respect is always the best policy. Should the employees be better trained? I can't really say because all of my experiences with both in-store and call center employees have been fantastic.
nlstein
0 Kudos

I'm very sorry that you find my use of "help" as not being PC. They are there to "help" and I don't think there is anything wrong in calling them what they are - "help".

Again, I'm sorry if I offended your sensibility. Get over it.

MacBoy
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

nlstein wrote:

I'm very sorry that you find my use of "help" as not being PC. They are there to "help" and I don't think there is anything wrong in calling them what they are - "help".

And this may be why you find yourself getting what you consider poor customer service.  I rarely do.

I wonder why?

nlstein
0 Kudos

BTW, I NEVER called them the "help" to their face (or anything else for that matter) - I just asked a question and got an improper answer.

My use of "help" only appeared here. I wasn't rude, condescending or otherwise unpleasant and I don't know why anyone here thinks I was. They weren't there and didn't hear the conversation.

Some people here are WAY to touchy and make up things that never happened! Get a grip.

MacBoy
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

My use of "help" only appeared here. I wasn't rude, condescending or otherwise unpleasant and I don't know why anyone here thinks I was. They weren't there and didn't hear the conversation.

That you think of them as "the help" will bleed through into your interaction.  That was my initial point.  :smileywink:

In any case, as I said, I agree that B&N's training was clearly lacking.  They should have known the answer, and when they didn't, they should have said "I'll find out."  

AndyfromVA

@NLStein

My daughter worked in retail for five years.  You may have an absolutely valid point but when you use the term "the help" I stop taking you seriously.

nlstein
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya

You were not there and have no idea how I acted. I've been in retail for over 40 years and know what actions get good "help" and what actions don't.

How dare you think you know what words were used or that I should "find yourself getting what you consider poor customer service". Even if I was rude (which I wasn't) this was an opportunity to make a happy customer and they didn't.

The bottom line is I got bad service without asking for it. You need to relax.

I think enough has been said about this subject. B&N needs to train their people (is that better and I don't think any thinking person here will disagree.

MacBoy
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

I think enough has been said about this subject. B&N needs to train their people (is that better and I don't think any thinking person here will disagree.

The convo wouldn't have happened if you'd referred to them as people, staff, employees, associates in the first place.

And I already agreed that better/more/more complete training is in order.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

There's another issue that this thread has brought light to that the manual needs to be more helpful and easier to understand. Though I still believe to expect the employees to be on par with a technology seller such as Apple is unrealistic. Barnes and Noble is a bookstore. Yes the nook is sold by them but their main products are the books still. A lot of electronics stores sell the nook but not a single book and you wouldn't expect those stores to do otherwise.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:
There's another issue that this thread has brought light to that the manual needs to be more helpful and easier to understand. Though I still believe to expect the employees to be on par with a technology seller such as Apple is unrealistic. Barnes and Noble is a bookstore. Yes the nook is sold by them but their main products are the books still. A lot of electronics stores sell the nook but not a single book and you wouldn't expect those stores to do otherwise.

I have found over the years that manuals have become less helpful, i.e., explicit in process, and more "cause explanatory," i.e., "you saw this because."

So, yes, B&N, improve the manuals.  Oddly enough, a large part of your target base is not people who assume technology works by playing with it, but people who are looking for explicit information.

nlstein
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ya_Ya

Thanks for the lesson in being PC. As for me, these people are there to do one thing - help! The word is not condescending (unless you're from the South in the 50's which I'm not), and I didn't call them "the help" when taking to them.

Your lesson in social manners has nothing to do with the subject, does not indicate anything about what I think of the people behind the counter and doesn't belong here.

B&N put these people behind the counter for one reason - to help. They aren't there to be my "staff, employee or associate" and my use of the word help did not, in any way, indicate to most people here that I thought less of them in any way.

If you want to be a teacher of the proper use of the English language in 2012 go teach. You're taking me to the wood shed for my use of a particular word properly used has nothing to do with the subject.

That's enough. Let's get back to Nook subjects.

MacBoy
Inspired Correspondent
apetit

NLStien:

Speaking only for myself here:

In this thread many people, including myself, have attempted to help you, but we have consistently been met with a level of rudeness and distain that has been unwarrented.  You state that you do not treat the kind folks at B&N in an inappropriate manner, yet you do so here.  Please consider that the manner in with you comport yourself in one place undoubtedly carries over into others.  Please treat others in the manner you wish to be treated.

nlstein
0 Kudos

Correspondent

You wrote "Please consider that the manner in with you comport yourself in one place undoubtedly carries over into others". That is a HUGE leap and simply, in this case for sure, NOT TRUE.

I stared this thread with a simple concept - that B&N needs to train their ... (you fill in the right word that makes you happy).

In some cases I got back sensible replies, In others my character and domineer where brought into question without justification. I take offense to that as anyone would and defended myself in kind. Unless you were there and heard the conversation for yourself - don't judge.

The ONLY time I got my back up was when certain people tried to correct me without full knowledge of the events and without talking about the actual question. My use of the word "help' is appropriate and I stick by it.

I'm having a great time with my Nook and MOST of the stuff on this board - how about you?

MacBoy
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Ya_Ya wrote:

They're employees.  Associates.  Staff.

Not "the help."

/rant over.

Obviously, since they were of no help at all, it would be incorrect to call them the "help".