Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Please teach your help B&N!

nlstein wrote:

Correspondent

You wrote "Please consider that the manner in with you comport yourself in one place undoubtedly carries over into others". That is a HUGE leap and simply, in this case for sure, NOT TRUE.

I stared this thread with a simple concept - that B&N needs to train their ... (you fill in the right word that makes you happy).

In some cases I got back sensible replies, In others my character and domineer where brought into question without justification. I take offense to that as anyone would and defended myself in kind. Unless you were there and heard the conversation for yourself - don't judge.

The ONLY time I got my back up was when certain people tried to correct me without full knowledge of the events and without talking about the actual question. My use of the word "help' is appropriate and I stick by it.

I'm having a great time with my Nook and MOST of the stuff on this board - how about you?

So, if I understand correctly, your rudeness here to people who are trying to "help" you is no indication of your level of rudeness or politeness to the store employees who were trying to "help" you?  I suppose that's true, but I've personally found that people tend to treat retail employees in a less favorable manner than strangers who volunteer their unpaid time.  Maybe that's not the case for you.

I've also found that sometimes when a person is being rude, they don't realize they're being rude...

Distinguished Correspondent
Beachgirl75
0 Kudos

nlstein,

Were you able to get an answer to your question? Just wondering :smileyhappy:

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
RHWright
0 Kudos

@nlstein, et. al: Agreed, I have witnessed employees providing misinformation about the NOOK to customers on a few occasions, and this is an issue for concern. I've even stepped in on some occasions to gently "correct" the situation. (It should be noted that I have also seen exceptional knowledge and service on the part of B&N's employees and have gone out of my way to complement that work to their managers. Mastering knowledge of the NOOK is not easy.)

@nlstein: I do have a question about the timeline presented in your original post. Did you go into the store asking your questions when you were having "trouble with it a few weeks ago" or had it already been resolved and you knew the answer to your own questions?

Admittedly, the in-store "experts" should know the answer or know that they don't know and make a good faith effort to find out.

But, in my opinion, if you went in just to "test" the employee's knowledge that's a bit...supercilious. In such a case, you would be wasting the employee's time and, I would think, yours. (Unless you get your kicks just going around messing with people. But I won't make such assumptions or cast any aspersions.)

I am genuinely curious to learn more about the scenario and your motivations for engaging in it.

Nooksie

:smileyvery-happy:

Ya-Ya has a reason for living again.  Somebody disagreed with her.   The real question is just how much longer can her messages get?  :smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

Nooksie
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

nlstein wrote:

Correspondent

You wrote "Please consider that the manner in with you comport yourself in one place undoubtedly carries over into others". That is a HUGE leap and simply, in this case for sure, NOT TRUE.

I stared this thread with a simple concept - that B&N needs to train their ... (you fill in the right word that makes you happy).

In some cases I got back sensible replies, In others my character and domineer where brought into question without justification. I take offense to that as anyone would and defended myself in kind. Unless you were there and heard the conversation for yourself - don't judge.

The ONLY time I got my back up was when certain people tried to correct me without full knowledge of the events and without talking about the actual question. My use of the word "help' is appropriate and I stick by it.

I'm having a great time with my Nook and MOST of the stuff on this board - how about you?

So, if I understand correctly, your rudeness here to people who are trying to "help" you is no indication of your level of rudeness or politeness to the store employees who were trying to "help" you?  I suppose that's true, but I've personally found that people tend to treat retail employees in a less favorable manner than strangers who volunteer their unpaid time.  Maybe that's not the case for you.

I've also found that sometimes when a person is being rude, they don't realize they're being rude...

Nearly all the rudness in this discussion has been Ya ya towards the OP.  Except mine, of course, and Nothiing I wrote could be considered ad hom or character assanation.   Unlike Ya Ya (who cannot tell a typo from a misspelling.)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nooksie wrote:

Nearly all the rudness in this discussion has been Ya ya towards the OP.  Except mine, of course, and Nothiing I wrote could be considered ad hom or character assanation.   Unlike Ya Ya (who cannot tell a typo from a misspelling.)

I was not rude to the OP, just to you, and apparently you really can't read because I did note IN THAT POST that I knew it was merely a typo. :smileywink: 

Oh, the words are "assassination" and "ad hominem."  And I agree, your comments were neither.  Nor did I think they were particularly rude - just (an inaccurate) personal opinion.

nlstein
0 Kudos

Wordsmith

You win - I'm rude to everyone.

You must know this empirically since your weren't there and are concluding this from... Gee I don't know what you're concluding this from. Seems like a large generalization but I'm just guessing.

You won't believe it but I was very nice to the people that tried to help (even if they were wrong) and not as nice to the people that weren't nice to me. If you want to call those that berated my use of the word "help" as rude - so be it!

Human nature?

ps. Sorry for that word "help" again. I guess I just can't help myself.

MacBoy
nlstein

Ya_Ya

You wrote:"I was not rude to the OP, just to you, and apparently you really can't read because I did note IN THAT POST that I knew it was merely a typo"

Nice to know you were only rude to me. Makes me feel better. I'll brush up on my reading skills (only been at it for 66 years and majored in English (4.0).

You've been very helpful.

MacBoy
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

nlstein wrote:

Nice to know you were only rude to me. Makes me feel better. I'll brush up on my reading skills (only been at it for 66 years and majored in English (4.0).

This post was addressed to Nooksie.

Are you admitting to being both nlstein and Nooksie?  Does that mean one of you is a troll?  :smileysurprised:

nlstein
0 Kudos

Distinguished wrote:

"I do have a question about the timeline presented in your original post. Did you go into the store asking your questions when you were having "trouble with it a few weeks ago" or had it already been resolved and you knew the answer to your own questions?"

The answer is I was mostly sure I had figured out how "syncing" was meant to work but just wanted someone who should know to confirm it. Imagine my surprise when I was told there was no such thing.

MacBoy
nlstein
0 Kudos

Sorry but I thought the quote came from Nooksie. If it came from you, Ya_Ya, I apologize to Nooksie and, as for you, thanks for correcting me - again.

Do you have anything to do besides correct people?

MacBoy
nlstein

To everyone (well almost everyone) following this nonsense, I apologize. I thought I was making a simple point but as has been point out to me, I can't read, I use non-PC words and am generally rude to everyone in the world. For this I am greatly sorry.

As far as I'm concerned, this subject is closed. If some wants to continue it - be my guest.

MacBoy
keriflur

nlstein wrote:

Do you have anything to do besides correct people?

Nope, you're right, you're not rude at all.  Not even a little bit.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

nlstein wrote:

I can't read.

Nobody said that you couldn't read.  I said to Nooksie, twice, that s/he couldn't read.

I only clarified here because I didn't want you to believe I was insulting you.  Apparently, though, you've perceived that all comments in this thread were directed at you, which is definitely untrue.

nlstein
0 Kudos

Well. I tried to close this thing but I guess I just can't.

Ya_Ya, thanks for correcting me - again. I'm sure you're are nice person. You are correct, since I started this mess I thought all of the comments were concerning my subject. Silly me.

MacBoy
Frequent Contributor
NoOne

[ Edited ]

I had trouble deciphering your subject title, but I understand how these typos happen. I used to work a a bookstore--well actually 3 bookstores at different times. One was a small independent bookstore and the second was a small college bookstore that was part of a larger chain and the third was a temporary discount bookstore from a large discount national bookstore. The first only hired me after I took and passed a test on my knowledge of both literature (classic and modern) and popular bestsellers, the second hired me because I was a student with bookstore experience and the third hired me because I had both retail and book experience. The one thing they all had in common was that I was expected to be "familiar with the stock."  In practice this means the browsing among the books whenever there were no customers or work to be done was encouraged.  The point is that in a bookstore, the employees are expected to know what books are where and be able to suggest titles to customers based on what other books the customer likes.

What does this have to do with B&N? It's a bookstore, but it's stock also includes non-book items. If I worked at a B&N, I would assume that I would be expected to be familiar with all the items being sold, including the Nook. I don't understand why an employee wouldn't "play" with the demo model unless of course, it wasn't functional. I would certainily expect anyone known as an expert to either be familiar with it or be honest about their lack of knowledge.  Unfortuately, some people think that if they admit they don't know something that they should fake it. As the t-shirt says, "Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those of us who do."  :-)

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

When I started exploring the Nook 1E back in the spring of 2010 I found an appalling lack of knowledge at the B&N bookstores I visited.  But this situation has defintely improved.  Now when I speak to sales persons at the Nook station I get comprehensive answers.  However I realize they are probably not Nook experts and there's a limit to what I can expect.  It's unrealistic to expect them to know all the technical details.  That's what the internet is for.