Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Wisdana
0 Kudos

Preorder nookcolor now

[ Edited ]

Just heard a rumor that the ship date for nookcolor is moving to 11/26 if you don't reserve one by today.

Reader
DiannaTX
0 Kudos

Re: Preorder nookcolor now

I preordered mine today. I had not heard that rumor. I simply did it because I finally saved up enough to do so. I am exited to have finally paid for an ereader that has everything that I want. A color touch screen, expandable memory and many of the books I love available for immediate download. I can't wait. I also have a two year old and the Kids Nookbooks with Alive Touch are an awesome addition to the device. Go B & N. From someone who almost got a Cruz Tablet instead.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

Are you stating that the initial orders for the first 'batch' have been exhausted or that they are pushing everyone back?

I'm actually just considering cancelling my pre-order.  If it will be in stores as expected on the 19th, I might as well just buy in person with a store 3 miles away from me.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
B&N Bookseller
miffy1157
0 Kudos

be careful about going to buy in store, they might only get enough to fill all the reservations. but who knows how many each store is getting. better to reserve!

- Caitlin
Frequent Contributor
Wisdana
0 Kudos

Initial orders will still ship on the 19th. Stores will get devices in stock based on the number of pre-orders.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Globaltech wrote:

I'm actually just considering cancelling my pre-order.  If it will be in stores as expected on the 19th, I might as well just buy in person with a store 3 miles away from me.

I wouldnt bother cancelling.  Theres no obligation with the preorder (unless you prepaid and have home delivery) 

The instore peorders just ensure they will be available, but if you change your mind, they wont go to waste.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Globaltech
0 Kudos

it really doesn't matter just yet for me.

I'm buying it because i like it.

I'm moreso buying it because I want a demo unit to see my real pubit! books published on.

I like the web surfing very much and I still have a regular nook. 

But seeing as they haven't released the SDK yet (but you can sign up) I don't know the limits of that yet.

If anyone is interested in being a publisher with the SDK (including kidsbooks ActiveTouch which is a small part of it), please sign up here and now.  Don't wait as it is possible they may charge for this in the future.  Probably legal disclaimers and they won't, but .... also saying it's free now, but may not be in the future is an imperative one cannot ignore. 

If anyone has any hope or idea, even if not now, to create, sign up now... takes just a minute or two.

Sign up here (free) for the SDK kit (not yet released, but they are taking applications) http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKbook-Discussion/Pubit-Activetouch-and-thinking-outside-th...  and yes, that does take you to another thread of mind for self aggrandizement.  I'm a queen after all.  But all the details are in the first post and I hope it generates more real discussion amongst us users who might also be authors.

+++++++++++++++++++
Inspired Correspondent
njnookman
0 Kudos

"Reservation" vs. "Pre-order" -- this MUST be clarified and understood to avoid confusion!

B&N STORES (only) are offering no-obligation RESERVATIONS.  Just like a book, you reserve it, come to the store, they have the demo's the same day, and you decide whether you want to take it home or not. No money down, no cost, just sign up for the option to look before you buy....

If you do NOT choose to take it home, or fail to pick it up within 48 hours:

(a)  The unit RETURNS TO STORE INVENTORY AND WILL BE SOLD AS SUCH!

(b)   There is no further shipment promised to any store before the Holidays!

Therefore, if you're even Thinking About Thinking About getting one for the Holidays, the very BEST way to guarantee delivery (with preview option) is to place a reservation with your local store!

If local store isn't an option, you can pre-order on the web, and it'll be shipped to you according to the web terms.  Stores may offer to place the order for you, if they're sold out, but this is just speculation as to what might happen.

It is expected that stores will have regular inventory of the Nook color sometime in late January or early February.

In the meantime, B&N offers an excellent pair of eBook Readers which are in GENERAL availability, and which is more than satisfactory for many of us bibliophiles who prefer to spend money on content, not readers!

Globaltech
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I simply see this as a nookcolor as being  'for the other half of the store'.

B&W books are great and won't be going aways anytime soon... but even basic b&w books can be enhanced... but that also takes some additional skills.  Something most authors lack.

I'm lucky that I fall in the medium.. a kinda crap author and a kinda crappy web admin... but I can put the two together to be a lead in this new tech and options nookcolor offers us as consumers and producers.  And... i have a bunch of ideas to explore.

Gimmicks?  Maybe, but things that will work and have never been seen before in e-readers.

I pre-ordered,.. but I really don't want to wait..  unlike the original nook launch, it appears there will be nooks in store for the launch date and I'd rather get one there than waiting for shipping time.

Does it matter in the long run? no.  Does it matter for some other things I hopefully have planned?  Damn right it does.

+++++++++++++++++++
Frequent Contributor
mareofearth
0 Kudos

I am crossing my fingers on the shipping for preorders - maybe they will do something cool like Amazon does with preorders (like for the Harry Potter books) in that they ship so that you receive it on the release date.

I can hope anyway. :smileyhappy:

Either way, I can't drive the 50 miles to the nearest B&N late on Friday the 19th. I get off work after dark now, and people drive worse every day. :smileysad:

Insanity doesn't run in my family, it gallops.
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Best Buy's web site shows if you pre-order today you can pick them up in the store 11/10/2010 (today?)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Barnes+%26+Noble+-+NOOKcolor+eReader+-+Black/1517163.p?skuId=1517163&id=...

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Reader
meggers1182
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would also recommend those buying one going ahead and preordering theirs. I ordered my November 2 and it will not be shipped until November 26th.  They really ought to change the date on the site... it is rather disappointing. 

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

meggers1182 wrote:

I would also recommend those buying one going ahead and preordering theirs. I ordered my November 2 and it will not be shipped until November 26th.  They really ought to change the date on the site... it is rather disappointing. 

Did you have a cover or something else in that order that could be pushing the ship date back?  I ask because I know last year they quickly switched the date on the Nook info page when it started getting back ordered.  Of course, they ended up getting delayed even further so it's still good advice to preorder as soon as possible if you're considering it.

Contributor
AnnieMae
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I reserved mine on Oct. 30th at my local B & N store. I can hardly wait until Friday to go pick it up. I'm hoping they'll also have covers available at the store as well. If not I'll order a cover online.:smileyvery-happy: