Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader
clongWI
0 Kudos

Preordered books not loading after release on nookcolor

I preordered 2 books and they showed up on my Nookcolor as "Preorder".  Today was the release date but I could not get them to download.  I synced my Nookcolor multiple times to no avail.  I grabbed my old original Nook that my husband now uses and downloaded them through that device and as soon as I did that they downloaded to my Nookcolor.

Is there a way to force a download of a preordered book to the Nookcolor?  If not, I will not be likely to preorder books again as I won't always have my old nook handy to force the download.

New User
EllaM
0 Kudos

Re: Preordered books not loading after release on nookcolor

I had the same problem today. I had preordered a book and when I turned on my nook and refreshed my library or clicked on the book, it wouldn't download. I had to download it to my computer before it would download on my nook.

Would love to know of a solution

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Three of my pre-order books became available today, and downloaded to my Nook Color without a problem.

Have you tried to reboot your Nook? That sometimes seems to solve these kind of problems.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

Something that has been referenced in other posts here is, that B&N has no control of the pre-release date.  They provide the data that the publisher has indicated to them regarding the date that the publication will be available, that date is not necessarily set in stone.

In the long haul, the publisher is the one that makes the download available, through B&N, and if they, the publishers are running behind.....the download will not occur until they, the publishers make the publication available to B&N.

Lest we forget, there are is more than one party "hostage" in this transaction.  B&N along with the end consumer/user have the distinction of being "hostage".

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Reader 4
aliah
0 Kudos

I have experienced this with EVERY preorder I have placed(7 total). I refeshed, rebooted and called cust.service and was given the publisher hostage story. I chatted with family on Kindle and all but one book was available. I am no longer preordering. This is not strictly a publishing hostage situation. The need to get the kinks in the Nookcolor fixed. Don't even get me going on multiple charges for items. Come on B&N get it together!
Avadog
Frequent Contributor
rovingspinster603
0 Kudos

I recieved a notice in my computer that a pre-ordered book was ready.  It did not load to my nook.  I waited a day or two and it was loaded.  Hope this helps.

Contributor
rewards4u
0 Kudos

I had the same problem Tuesday with a preordered book.  I was able to download it by archiving it and then unarchiving it.  I was able to read the book after that it =o)  HTH

New User
codemonkeyRS
0 Kudos

I have the same problem. Until I download the book to my old 3g Nook, I cannot download to the nook color. I was hoping there was a solution to this, like a priority setting in your bn account profile.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

just curious - I am kind of new to this whole nook world.  Are the pre-release prices usually better or are folks ordering early for the convience of not having to worry about going out the day it comes out to get it (i.e. it will be there ready to go).

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

@RSC_Nook I have pre-ordered 2 books and for both it was because they were available for really good prices. I think they both offered bonus material with a pre-order.

I had no problems with the first one. It was available on the date it said it would be and downloaded with no issues. The other one won't be available until 3/8 so I can only hope I will have the same type of luck with it.

kw4
New User
kw4
0 Kudos

First make sure you are connected to WIFI.  For nookcolor press the "N" button on the front and the power button on the side at the same time for 5 seconds.  A pop-up window comes up-touch yes.  Wait ten seconds and then press the power button on the side to turn on.  When i did this (with the help of tech support) the book i pre-ordered started downloading.

New User
sjw87

Thanks for your comment about archiving and unarchiving your preordered book.  It actually worked for me as well.  I don't know how long I would have had to of gone without reading the book that I preordered and paid for weeks ago, but could not access.  They really should make it easier.

Contributor
cassie3783
0 Kudos

I actually just got off the phone with CS about this.

The arching, unarchiving then downloading worked for me.

Weird thing is, the book was opening on my iPhone app just fine this morning (and on my Nook for PC) but when I tried to pick back up the story on my Nook Color......nothing.

Hope you got your book!!

New User
ba137
0 Kudos

Today is the release date for A Dance With Dragons, which I had preordered as a Nook book. Unfortunately, my Nook Simple Touch shows it in my library with a "Preorder" banner, and tapping only opens a screen to look at reviews. Per the earlier advice in this topic, I tried archiving and unarchiving. That did not work. However, after that a restart cleared up the problem. Even though the "Preorder" banner didn't disappear, at least now I can open and read the book.

This is clearly a bug in the Nook software for the Nook Simple Touch, because I had no problem downloading the preordered book in a different software application, namely the Nook app for iPad.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

ba137 wrote:

Today is the release date for A Dance With Dragons, which I had preordered as a Nook book. Unfortunately, my Nook Simple Touch shows it in my library with a "Preorder" banner, and tapping only opens a screen to look at reviews. Per the earlier advice in this topic, I tried archiving and unarchiving. That did not work. However, after that a restart cleared up the problem. Even though the "Preorder" banner didn't disappear, at least now I can open and read the book.

This is clearly a bug in the Nook software for the Nook Simple Touch, because I had no problem downloading the preordered book in a different software application, namely the Nook app for iPad.

I had this problem last night also with both of my pre-ordered books.  I restarted the N2E and then they downloaded fine, but the pre-order banner is still there.  I downloaded both books to my N1E also, but the N1E had turned itself off since I last used it so I can't say for sure if they would have downloaded without trouble or not.

I suspect the issue is with the B&N network, not the N2E, as I've downloaded pre-ordered books before without issue, but then again it's only worked about 50% of the time for me.

B&N has made it a bit of a hassle for me to back up my books since the N2E's download folder is not accessible, so I now buy most of my books from kobo (this way I just download once, not twice).  The books I'm still buying from B&N are the ones I can't wait to have, that I want to start reading immediately after release (they release at about 9:15pm the night before release date in the pacific time zone).  If it's going to be a hassle every time, B&N's going to lose those sales also.  :smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
Technowitch
0 Kudos

I did the website archive/unarchive option, refreshed my Nook 2, and it started the download.  The library image still shows a 'preorder' banner though.

Clearly some issues here with the whole preorder thing.

New User
MoJeezy
0 Kudos

I just experienced the same problem with the nook app on my samsung galaxy tab. I tried to archived/ unarchive, downloaded the book to my pc and niether worked. I finally deleted then reinstalled the app and it downloaded the book.

Contributor
kmoody83
0 Kudos

I just had this problem with my Nook Touch. My release pre-order downloaded just fine to my iphone, but my touch was being stubborn. After I archived and unarchived it downloaded fine, but you may have to restart your nook after. If not, they told me to sideload it.

Contributor
plamberti
0 Kudos

I have the Nook Simple Touch and I too have ordered pre-order books then have problems opening the books after the release date.  Thanks for the archive/unarchive suggestion....worked perfectly!

New User
WingNut42
0 Kudos

I was able to download the book to my PC but I want it on my Nook and it STILL won't download via the Nook Color.  ???