Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
JacksNookQuestions
0 Kudos

Problem with WIFI

Hello,

I have a 1st edition Nook ( WIFI and 3G) which is 15 months old.  The WIFI worked fine when I got it.  For the past 6 months or so, the WIFI doesn't work correctly.  I think this started with the software update to 1.5, but I'm not sure.  (I have 1.7 now).  The Nook will scan and show me the available WIFI's.  It will connect to them.  However, any attempt to download a book results in the message in the download button in the small touch screen "Queued: Will complete shortly".  The web browser also doesn't work.  I have previously used this successfully in my home network, at Panera Bread, and at work.  I've downloaded various books too large for 3g via m yhome network.  Now it nevers works on these networks.  However, it does work in a B&N store.  I know this sounds bizarre, but I have repeatedly verified this.  Any ideas.  I just purchased a large book which won't download via 3G and I really don't want to drive to B&N just to download it.

Thanks!

Jack

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Problem with WIFI

If you do have to drive to the store, you should talk to them there about the issue and see if they can't help you.  If you're under warranty you might be able to get a replacement (though you'll probably have to send it in for that).

If all else fails, you could always sideload the books to the device.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

Tell the Nook to "forget"the networks.  Power down the Nook and then power it back up again.  Then, rescan for and reprogram the network settings. 

Contributor
JacksNookQuestions
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply.  I never tried a power off after a forget before.  Unfortunately, I just tried it now and it doesn't help.  The WIFI says it is connected but no feature requiring connectivity ( shopping , downloading, etc) works.  Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Jack

Reader
acaelia
0 Kudos

My hubby and I are having the same issue. He has a color, I have the non-color/non-touch screen. Both do the connecting/disconnecting, and sometimes after a very long time, sometimes an hour or so, it will connect. Sometimes it connects if we turn airplane mode on and off. However, once it connects, when we go to search for a book, or purchase one, it says wifi connection needed, although it was just connected, and we have a strong signal. All the other wireless devices in the home work. Sometimes we also get the "network unavailable" message.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

acaelia wrote:

My hubby and I are having the same issue. He has a color, I have the non-color/non-touch screen. Both do the connecting/disconnecting, and sometimes after a very long time, sometimes an hour or so, it will connect. Sometimes it connects if we turn airplane mode on and off. However, once it connects, when we go to search for a book, or purchase one, it says wifi connection needed, although it was just connected, and we have a strong signal. All the other wireless devices in the home work. Sometimes we also get the "network unavailable" message.

One of the easiest ways to determine if your problem is the Nook or your home network is to go to a local B&N (if you're lucky enough to have one nearby) or other free wifi spots and try to connect there.  

It should not be taking an hour or so to connect.  The fact that it appears to be happening on both devices may suggest that there is something in your home network setup that is causing the problem.  If you search for other wifi posts, you may find some things to check which may help you solve your issue.

Or you could post more information about your network setup, router, etc., as there are many knowledgeable members who may be able to help pinpoint your issue.  

Unfortunately, I'm not one of them so my suggestions are minimal.  Have you turned nook off, then back on (not just airplane mode, but actually power down)?  Have you reset your router?

Reader 2
Liz123
0 Kudos

I have a simple touch, but I think this applied to a nook color when I found it.  My nook worked everywhere on wifi except at home.  I changed my router setting to 54, and that solved the problem. Now I am contacting the router techs to find out if that hurts the router performance.  Nook support was useless - they told me to reset the device, which meant I would have lost everything.

Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

Liz123 wrote:

I have a simple touch, but I think this applied to a nook color when I found it.  My nook worked everywhere on wifi except at home.  I changed my router setting to 54, and that solved the problem. Now I am contacting the router techs to find out if that hurts the router performance.  Nook support was useless - they told me to reset the device, which meant I would have lost everything.

Oh... If I understood what you implied, you definitely ran into a problem that exists with a lot of routers.  Many use a propriatery method for boosting the speed and that method is incompatible with the WiFi standards;  It may work with devices of the same brand (make and model) but nothing else.  So if you have one of these "super speed" devices you need to back it down to standard speed.  If you have a dual channel N device, you may need to back one of the channels down to G.

Not what you want, but the world of networking is fraught with little inconsisties like this.

And please note my use of "may" as things might just work. But when they don't, try it without all of the speed boost whistles and bells.

Contributor
JacksNookQuestions
0 Kudos

It's not as easy as it sounds.  My nook works at a B&N store.  It doesn't work on any other network ( Panera bread, starbucks, etc plus my home network which I made an open, no security network for testing).  It use to work and stopped about 6 months ago.  Unfortunately for me, I should have brought it back to B&N for warranty repair before the 1 year warranty expired.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

If it works at B&N then it's not a Nook problem.  It's a configuration issue.  Hardware works or it doesn't.  It doesn't differentiate.  If it's a software problem then resetting your Nook should fix it.  Quite honestly, if it works at B&N it's probably not a warranty repair either.  I'm not questioning what you're saying but it really doesn't make logical sense.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

JacksNookQuestions wrote:

It's not as easy as it sounds.  My nook works at a B&N store.  It doesn't work on any other network ( Panera bread, starbucks, etc plus my home network which I made an open, no security network for testing).  It use to work and stopped about 6 months ago.  Unfortunately for me, I should have brought it back to B&N for warranty repair before the 1 year warranty expired.

Is your home WiFi device the same as it was 7, yes 7, months ago?  I ask because you stated that it stopped working 6 months ago.

This does sound like something other than the Nook.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

JacksNookQuestions wrote:

Have you, by any chance, tried changing the SSID? It isn't still set to the derfault is it? I'm asking because that fixed my wifi issues. After the 1.5 update came out my nook stopped speaking to my wifi router too. I tried everything else. I reset all my security settings (including setting it to an open, unsecure network), I unregistered and reregistered, I rebooted everything, etc. Nothing worked. Then I remembered that my SSID was still set to "netgear" as the default. I had been too lazy to change it when I originally set it up. It worked until 1.5 came out. It's also possible your SSID has some characters nook doesn't like in the name. You'll have to reconfigure all your other stuff hooked up to your wifi. I only had 2 laptops, a printer, and an ipod touch so it didn't take me very long.

New User
Prettylex16
0 Kudos

I have the same problem but the only thing is I do not know how to reset my router? Can someone please explain to me how to do that..

Thank you,

Alexa

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Prettylex16 wrote:

I have the same problem but the only thing is I do not know how to reset my router? Can someone please explain to me how to do that..

Thank you,

Alexa

It would depend on the router.  You need to provide make and model of router so someone can help.