Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

Re: Promotion Code Request Thread

Sapphire329 wrote:

LarryOnLI wrote:

Wow, It's hard to believe how far away some of you are from a B&N store.

I have 42 of them within 50 miles of me.

I'll be stopping by my usual store on the way home today and pick up a few promotion codes for you people out in the boonies :smileywink:.

My B&N has a starbucks in it not a B&N Cafe, does anyone know if I can use the 7-layer bar coupon in there?

I'm not 100% sure on this but I don't think so. I tried using a B&N gift card once at a starbucks that was in B&N but it wasn't the B&N cafe and they told me they were separate from the store because they weren't the cafe. It didn't make any sense to me what they said but I went with it.

Very weird.  I used to work at Starbucks, and our partner benefits didn't apply to "licensed" stores in B&N, grocery stores or Target - and some airport or train station stores - because they are not in fact full Starbucks cafes but licensed shops.  Likewise their employees were not entitled to Starbucks partner benefits.

As I understood it, the cafe in B&N is in fact "The B&N Cafe" even if the coffee is Starbucks.  It is not considered a restaurant or cafe in the Starbucks schematic.  It's licensed to operate under the name, but that's where the affiliation ends.

I can pretty much guarantee that none of the employees in those cafes receive official Starbucks training the number of times I've had to tell them how to make the simplest of drinks.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

violetangel wrote:

As I understood it, the cafe in B&N is in fact "The B&N Cafe" even if the coffee is Starbucks.  It is not considered a restaurant or cafe in the Starbucks schematic.  It's licensed to operate under the name, but that's where the affiliation ends.

Just to be clear: some B&N's have a B&N Cafe, some don't. You'll often find a Starbucks inside or attached to B&N's that don't have a B&N Cafe.

There are two B&N's reasonably near me. One has a B&N Cafe, the other has a Starbucks.

Inspired Contributor
Sapphire329
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

violetangel wrote:

Just to be clear: some B&N's have a B&N Cafe, some don't. You'll often find a Starbucks inside or attached to B&N's that don't have a B&N Cafe.

There are two B&N's reasonably near me. One has a B&N Cafe, the other has a Starbucks.

Doug, I think that's correct.

Frequent Contributor
violetangel
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

violetangel wrote:

BUT it is not a Starbucks like a free-standing Starbucks is.  It is licensed, and the employees are NOT considered full Starbucks employees.  They don't have Starbucks barista training (unless they happened to have worked at a full Starbucks before and decided to downgrade) and they're not eligible for full Starbucks partner benefits.

If there is a separate entrance and you have to go back outside to get in the B&N it is a true Starbucks.  If you enter the cafe from B&N it is not a full and true Starbucks but a licensed branch.

‎"No need to hurry. No need to sparkle. No need to be anyone but oneself." -Virginia Woolf
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Promotion Code Request Thread-PLEASE No Off Topic...

[ Edited ]

People, can we please leave the off topic stuff out of this thread, it's pretty much been taken over by a Starbucks discussion and it makes it hard for people to use it for it's true purpose.  :smileyhappy:

Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
iharley
0 Kudos

Thanks, greatly appreciate it. And thanks to all of you willing to pick up extra codes for those of us without a B&N close by.

Contributor
mholmes7163
0 Kudos

Hi, Could u PM me a promotional code please, it would be a huge help :smileyhappy:  thnx

Contributor
European_Correspondent
0 Kudos

I live about 3,500 miles from my nearest B&N store! A promotion code would be most gratefully received this side of the Atlantic.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

wheel9 wrote:

Hi -

New user here - would like to request a code if anyone has one.  I am about 40 miles from the nearest store, and aI am currently recovering from Kidney Cancer treatment and will not be able to make the trip.  The Nook has been a great companion the past few weeks.  The free books are most appreciated.

wheel9

Wheel9 - you have a PM with a promo code.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

klv84 wrote:

I would love a code.  I am 75 miles from a b&n.  I have a newborn and need some more reading material for night time feedings.   :smileyhappy:

klv84:

you have a PM.  

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

timetravel wrote:

I would really appreciate a code.  I'm 25 miles from a B & N. 

timetravel, you have a PM with a code.

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

JdiennoPSU wrote:

What is the last day to get this weeks code? I am out of town and will not be back untill sunday and want to be able to get this weeks book.

JdiennoPSU, you have a PM with a code.

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

eilujJT wrote:

I would love a code! I live in Canada and there are no Barnes and Noble stores here :smileysad: I was actually in the States last weekend, but one weekend too early! Thanks to everyone for helping us unfortunate who are not near a store!

eilujJT, you have a PM with a code.

Contributor
Tamask
0 Kudos

I live 1 hour away from a store and would love a code.

Thank you.

Contributor
wheel9
0 Kudos

Thanks much - got it.

very-simple wrote:

wheel9 wrote:

Hi -

New user here - would like to request a code if anyone has one.  I am about 40 miles from the nearest store, and aI am currently recovering from Kidney Cancer treatment and will not be able to make the trip.  The Nook has been a great companion the past few weeks.  The free books are most appreciated.

wheel9

Wheel9 - you have a PM with a promo code.

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

Tamask wrote:

I live 1 hour away from a store and would love a code.

Thank you.

You have a PM, Tamask.

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

I would appreciate a code, please. It's about a 45 min drive for me to the nearest BN store.

Thank you.

pamela

You have a PM.

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

luv2readKY wrote:

Hi, I live about 45 minutes from the nearest B&N...I'd love to have the code (s) for the books that I can't get at the store...thanks!

You have a PM.

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

mholmes7163 wrote:

Hi, Could u PM me a promotional code please, it would be a huge help :smileyhappy:  thnx

Sent you a PM!

Wordsmith
AnnSheridan
0 Kudos

European_Correspondent wrote:

I live about 3,500 miles from my nearest B&N store! A promotion code would be most gratefully received this side of the Atlantic.

Sent you a PM!