Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
smoothoperatorTX
0 Kudos

Question about nook exchange

My nook received a mysterious crack in to touch screen last night.  I have a four year old so I'm not saying I'm not responsible.  I called CS last night, and the guy was very nice, and he did all the things that comes with an exchange...took my credit card info, gave that number that I need, and told me that I will receive my new nook within 3-4 days, and I would be responsible for returning the broken nook.  If they find that I am responsible for the crack then they would charge my card...here's the question.  How long does that take?  I hate the idea of paying for a new one, but don't know how it would have spontaneously broken.  I had a Kindle for a year and nothing ever happened to it, so I didn't buy the extended warrenty.  I love my nook, just want to know how long it will take them to decide who's at fault from the time I send the broken one back.  Also, I want to know if I will be notified BEFORE they charge my card if they do indeed decide that I am at fault.  Thanks for your answer.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Re: Question about nook exchange

Spontaneous breakage does exist.  Its usually a stress point along the edge due to a manufacturing defect where something is wedged under the e-ink and its mounting frame and eventually stresses it till it snaps.

Usually this is a single crack mostly straight line across the screen (vertically, horizontally or diagonally).  

Drop cracks tent to be multiple radial lines (spider web) originating from a point on the edge. 

Crush cracks are similar but may start mid screen.

But realistically, four year olds, assorted cats and dogs are far more common causes.

They can tell at the disassembly plant, but I suspect they don't spend a lot of time doing so, and will likely just look at the crack pattern and compare it to a picture and check a box yea or nay.

As for how long this process takes, you will probably know with in 5 days of mailing it back.

New User
smoothoperatorTX
0 Kudos

It's a single crack right down the center, it starts right under the "n" logo, and veers to the right.  There is no starburst just the crack.  Which aesthetically doesn't bother me, but the left side of the touchscreen doesn't work.  I can access the store (just barely), but not the library, and when I want to go back from one of the menu's I can't because the back button is on the left side.  It's rather annoying.  It wouldn't even bother me if there were some other way to access the things I need in order to use it properly, but alas...

Contributor
dketcham
0 Kudos

I had one of the first nooks manufactured and it had a defect and eventually cracked on the side front (near the page turn buttons). I went through the replacement procedure and had my new nook within a couple of days. I couldn't have been happier with the process. Denise