Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
blemons
0 Kudos

Question on Downloading Large Library

[ Edited ]

First let me say I don't own a Nook, Yet... I am just planning ahead, but as such, I have no personal experience..

I understand people have had trouble downloading REALLY large libraries from BN. And I understand one option is to sideload the books that won't download.

That works for getting all existing books onto the Nook (or computer). But what I'm wondering... is once you have all the books on your Nook... whether sideloaded or downloaded... when you check for new content... or try to download new books... does the Nook still get hung up because you have such a large library on the server - even though they have already been downloaded?...

If so, what is the best way to deal with it - do you need to put the books on your computer, or other backup (and actually delete from BNs server), so that you keep your BN library (in the account online) size down?

Or do you just stop trying to sync with the server (check for new content) and sideload everything?

But then don't you miss out on other features by not checking for new content? Or what is the best way to manage this going forward?

Thanks. Berit

GordonF
0 Kudos

Re: Question on Downloading Large Library

The size of your library online isn't an issue, it's not all one big chunk that has to be redownloaded every time.

I've never had any issues downloading any books personally (at least, not yet). Currently my B&N Library is around 100 books (not overly large, but decent) and my sideloaded library is only a couple dozen (mostly books from other places, I've started to take advantage of the Baen Free Library and their online catalogue).

It's only ever take a few moments to check for new content. And I'm not sure of the specifics or time frame, but if I plug my Nook into my computer fairly soon after a new B&N purchase it automatically downloads the book to my Nook for me (and sometimes it doesn't, and I've not paid enough attention to figure out the why's of this phenomenon).

The real problem with downloading large libraries (and I only had to do this at around 60 books) is that there is no "download all" so I had to spend about an hour manually going and telling the Nook to download each title - luckily my wireless connection seemed to go pretty fast, but it was a real pain to get all my books onto a new Nook after I had to replace it.

I kind of fear the day I may have to download my current (or larger) library onto another Nook in the future.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

GordonF wrote:

The real problem with downloading large libraries (and I only had to do this at around 60 books) is that there is no "download all" so I had to spend about an hour manually going and telling the Nook to download each title - luckily my wireless connection seemed to go pretty fast, but it was a real pain to get all my books onto a new Nook after I had to replace it.

I kind of fear the day I may have to download my current (or larger) library onto another Nook in the future.

Why would you have to re-download all your books?  You get the titles automatically as soon as you start your Nook and it connects.  Why wouldn't you just re-download the books you're planning on reading again?  Theoretically they're safe on the B&N site.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This problem was reported on 1.4 and earlier releases. There's a chance it was fixed in 1.5, but I wouldn't put any money on that. It's unknown if the problem affects NOOKcolor or not.

It doesn't seem to be a problem until the number of titles in your library is somewhere between 600 and 1200. At that point, NOOK apparently times out trying to download the list of titles. Only a few people have libraries that large, so there isn't a lot of information about the situation. From what little I've read, everybody with that problem just sideloads and leaves their NOOK permanently in Airplane Mode.

The main thing you'd miss by not being wireless is periodical subscriptions. I suspect that people who are that big on book-reading aren't also big on reading newspapers and magazines. Other than that, there's The Daily, wireless software updates (you'll have to sideload the updates), and LendMe.

Sideloading everything means that everything's going to be in My Documents, which means you won't have cover-flow. That's about the only loss there.

Personally, if my B&N library ever gets large enough to cause trouble, I'll probably take the approach of deleting a bunch of titles I'll probably never read again — after making sure I've created backups on my computer (but then, I've always got multiple backups for all my e-books). Note that I'm not an iPhone-reader.

GordonF
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

GordonF wrote:

Why would you have to re-download all your books?  You get the titles automatically as soon as you start your Nook and it connects.  Why wouldn't you just re-download the books you're planning on reading again?  Theoretically they're safe on the B&N site.

At the time I hadn't gotten around to reading most of the titles as it was a repalcement Nook right after B&Ns summer of free classics (I was adding books way faster than I could read them), and I like to keep books on hand for reference and such.

At this point, there are a number of titles I probably wouldn't redownload again, but there are many I still want around to flip through, or reread. And sometimes my wife borrows my Nook when I'm not around to read some of the books.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Ok.  I'm the only one who uses my Nook so that's not an issue for me.  I don't usually re-read or reference books unless it's been MANY years since I've read it so that doesn't come up too often for me either.

Obviously there are many different ways to enjoy a Nook!  :smileyhappy:

►Without order there is chaos◄
blemons
0 Kudos

Thanks, Guys!

That helps.

Berit