Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Questions about nook and netbook

I'm thinking about buying a netbook for my daily computer use and wondered if there were any issues I need to be concerned about regarding my nook. I have a wifi only nook, had it since august.How are they with ade? I check out a lot of library books.

I actually have my eye on an Acer netbook, so if anyone has any info on those specifically. I'm not particularyly techy but I can setup a computer and troubleshoot minor issues. I also tend to research so much before a purchase that I confuse myself over what it is I actaully wanted in the first place.  :smileyvery-happy:

Our laptop died a horrific death and we are in desperate need right now. Our plan is to buy a new laptop and a netbook. The laptop would be for general family use and the netbook would be mostly for me. I just want something small for internet, pictures, my ebooks, and music. Currently, I'm using an old old laptop that my dad gave my kids a couple years ago to play with.  It has no soundcard (though, I'm sure it used to), is missing 3 keys, and the mouse goes insane periodically, but it lets me check my email and get my library books until ours can be replaced.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Fran

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

Re: Questions about nook and netbook

I have a netbook (Dell) and have owned a Nook for 7 months.  I have had no issues because I run the two separately from each other.  I buy all of my books from B&N on my 3G connection.  As far as ADE, I can't tell you anything because I don't mess with it but there are posts on this board if you do a search for it.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My Toshiba NB-205 works just fine with my NOOK. I have Adobe Digital Editions and Calibre both on there, no problem.

Inspired Contributor
Imadanefan
0 Kudos

I use an Acer Aspire One that I've had for about a year and a NookColor for about a month and do not have any issues at all. i haven't installed ADE on it yet but from what I've read there will not be any problems. i do use Calibre and have installed a lot books with it and have had great luck so far.

I researched everything to death as well and am really happy with how everything is working together.

Hope this helps.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

My Samsung NC-10 works fine with ADE and transferring library books.  Did it while I was on vacation earlier this year.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

Thanks, all!

I have been doing a lot of research on this. I did a search here and didn't really come up with much, so thought I'd ask. I just couldn't figure out if a netbook was lacking in something I would need for the nook or ade. My dear departed laptop had ade and calibre so I'm glad to know that won't be an issue. And thank goodness I had everything backed up so all I have to do is transfer my files when I get my new computer. Hopefully soon. We still need to go look at them, since my husband wants a full size laptop, as well.

Fran