Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

Rant Thread

I do not mean this thread in any sort of snarky way.  I saw on forums for a publisher a message board dedicated to rants and pet peeves. WIth a lack of a moderator, maybe we can contain the negative posts to this thread.

I also thought including some answers to the standard rants would negate the need for forum regulars to answer the same questions repeatedly.

1. You may (probably) have your nook replaced with a refurbed one as per warranty (and common to almost every other electronic's warranty).

2. As reported several times, B&N customer service has not been the best.  Phone calls work best, but will have hold time.

4. B&N store employees may not know everything about the (just like every other human being). We strongly recommend researching a question through multiple sources.

3. You cannot use nook internationally - that includes Canada. Not a solely B&N issue.

4. Adobe DRM determines which readers can read nook books, not B&N.

5. We are thrilled you like your Kindle. However we do not want to hear about it. That is what Kindle boards are for.

That is all I can think of. And again I do not mean this thread in any sort of mean spirited way.

For people who have legitimate questions about the Nook, this board has phenomenal people who can answer them. 

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Re: Rant Thread

Excellent.

Here's another one.

This is a forum devoted to the Nook Classic.  Most of us don't have a Nook Color and know nothing about it.

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Great idea - here is yet another one:

Yes you have to put a credit card on your account to purchase books from B&N, it is required to activate the unlock code in the DRM.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Don't forget: RTFM !!

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

My only rant is my wife steals my Nook all the time.  And BTW I have offered multiple times to get her one for herself, I would be more than glad to, but she doesn't want me spending $ on her.

I may have to go do it anyway.  In a way I am kind of buying myself a Nook even though I am the one that already has one :smileywink:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Ok... People use too many exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!

(Oh yeah, there's already a thread about this)

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
MumsySC

My rant? People like me, who don't know when to shut up! :smileytongue:

To everyone I have offended (or wasted their time) with my endless, cross-posting, ranting, I humbly apologize. It was not my intent. And any postings in the future will be restrained, on point, and of a constructive nature.

Yours sincerely,

A fellow Nook-loving, B&N fan.

P.S. And if this counts as one of the "don't know when to shut up" times, for that, I apologize, too.

mister-j
0 Kudos

I think a couple of other standard answers might be required here.

The publishers are to blame for most of the prices not B&N!!!!!

You might check your router and setup as this is often the problem with WiFi instead of your Nook!!!!

Is my use of punctuation correct?  I'm rather an amatur at it.

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

mister-j wrote:

Is my use of punctuation correct?  I'm rather an amatur at it.

Yes, it is.  But your spelling still sucks.  :smileytongue:

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Tweedledee wrote:

Great idea - here is yet another one:

Yes you have to put a credit card on your account to purchase books from B&N, it is required to activate the unlock code in the DRM.

Well to follow up that one if you have a problem with making credit card purchases use a gift card.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Colleen_Rose wrote:

I do not mean this thread in any sort of snarky way.  I saw on forums for a publisher a message board dedicated to rants and pet peeves. WIth a lack of a moderator, maybe we can contain the negative posts to this thread.

I also thought including some answers to the standard rants would negate the need for forum regulars to answer the same questions repeatedly.

1. You may (probably) have your nook replaced with a refurbed one as per warranty (and common to almost every other electronic's warranty).

2. As reported several times, B&N customer service has not been the best.  Phone calls work best, but will have hold time.

4. B&N store employees may not know everything about the (just like every other human being). We strongly recommend researching a question through multiple sources.

3. You cannot use nook internationally - that includes Canada. Not a solely B&N issue.

4. Adobe DRM determines which readers can read nook books, not B&N.

5. We are thrilled you like your Kindle. However we do not want to hear about it. That is what Kindle boards are for.

That is all I can think of. And again I do not mean this thread in any sort of mean spirited way.

For people who have legitimate questions about the Nook, this board has phenomenal people who can answer them. 

# 3 needs to be revised a bit.  

If you live in the US and have purchased a nook, registered using a US credit card, you can use your nook anywhere you can get a wifi connection.  You cannot buy new material while traveling outside of the US, but you can download anything already in your B&N library.  

For our men & women serving our country overseas (thank you!), you can buy and download books if you register your nook (or have someone do it for you at home) with a .mil email.

An additional point -

It is not up to B&N to know about all the routers and possible network configurations out there.  If you cannot connect to your wifi and you are able to, take your nook to B&N and check it out there.  If it works, then you know it's not your nook but, in fact, something in your home network configuration.

mister-j
0 Kudos

Sorry about the spelling.  It was late, tired eyes and fat fingers and, honestly, I never could spell. Spell check is one of the greatest inventions ever.... if you remember to use it.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

great thread idea guys!

I want to rant, but it's not much of a rant as it is a mini pitty party for me.

I still don't have my replacement nook:smileysad:

But we had a bad snow/ice storm out here so that's probably why..but I want to finish the book I was reading..I know I can download it on a PC but it's not the same. :smileysad:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Alanakat wrote:

great thread idea guys!

But we had a bad snow/ice storm out here so that's probably why..but I want to finish the book I was reading..I know I can download it on a PC but it's not the same. :smileysad:

Awwww, I'm sorry.  Hope you get your replacement soon.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

What about this one:

Your backlight doesn't work because the nook doesn't have a backlight.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

RaNt....rANt!....RAANNNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There I feel much better now.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

Alanakat wrote:

great thread idea guys!

Awwww, I'm sorry.  Hope you get your replacement soon.

me too! still according to the website it's stuck in Indianapolis.. :smileysad:

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

My only rant is my wife steals my Nook all the time.  And BTW I have offered multiple times to get her one for herself, I would be more than glad to, but she doesn't want me spending $ on her.

I may have to go do it anyway.  In a way I am kind of buying myself a Nook even though I am the one that already has one :smileywink:

You have my amused sympathy. I went through the exact same process. My wife said she didn't want one, not to spend money on her.

After the third time I quietly put off reading my most recent book so that she could use my Nook, I decided to ignore her suggestion and buy one for her anyway. It's now almost permanently attached to her hand.

One of the wiser gifts I've gotten her, actually... even completely disregarding the fact that my nook is now always free for my use... she gets more use out of hers than almost any other gift I've ever given her.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Don't think I saw this one in there:  B&N is not responsible for whether or not an e-book is lendable.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!