Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

Re: What made you buy the Nook?

Just by reading the messages that were posted turned me away from reading any of them. I'm not trying to be a B. It was just a lot of negative messages. Not one had anything positive about the Nook or the B&N in the Subject line.

Stop and think a minute. What was it that made you want the Nook in the first place that you bought it? Was it just for reading and saving space, or maybe it made reading easier for those with disabilities. What about how easy it is to take your library with you and you don't have to chose which books to take and then get there and with you chose the other one.

My Nook was my 10yr Anniversary present! My husband knows how much I like to read and that because of my disabilities I couldn't enjoy my reading the way I use to. I don't care about all the other applications they have to offer. I only purchase,. download, shelve my series and enjoy my book!

I know the Nook isn't perfect, What I do know is how you respond when you call customer service. Being patient and not yelling in hear can go along way in your favore. If you were yelled at all day how would your responce be???

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Tess75 wrote:

I know the Nook isn't perfect, What I do know is how you respond when you call customer service. Being patient and not yelling in hear can go along way in your favore. If you were yelled at all day how would your responce be???

I deal with customers all day (not in customer service) and it shouldn't matter how you are treated.  Your response should always be professional and polite.

That said, you certainly can get a more positive response as a customer if you treat customer service with the professionalism and respect that you expect from them.

There is no excuse for either the customer or the customer service rep to ever be impolite.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
mettleh3d
0 Kudos

What made me buy a PC?  I don't like Apple.

What made me get a Blackberry (back then) I didn't want the iphone/winmo/plam/dumbphone.

What makes me shop at Amazon? AMAZON'S AWESOME! I LOVE PRIME!

What made me buy a nook? I don't like Amaz- wait.  Price and the touchscreen.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I bought an ereader because I live in a very small house that was never meant to house as many as 5 people (3 of them rapidly growing children who are beginning to take up all available space :smileyvery-happy:). I was forced to remove my books to make room for theirs. My books are stashed in closets, under beds and in any corner I could put them. Which is also one reason why one of those children will be receiving my old nook when I get a new one.

I bought a nook because it had everything I wanted. It could read epub files from many different sources, including library books. That and changeable font were all that I really required. At that time, I was trying to decide between the nook, sony, and kobo. Nook was cheaper than Sony and I liked it better than Kobo. That's shy I chose it.

I've been extremely happy with my nook for almost 10 months now. I have no real complaints. I've never had to deal with B&N customer service, though. I've worked in customer service (at Toys R Us, trust me, you do not want that job!) and try to always be as nice and cheerful as I can be when talking to cs.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

1. This is a support forum so most posts made will be made by people looking for support for issues they are having.  If you read the threads you will see that there is a huge number of people who are quite happy with their devices.  It's wrong to make assumptions without bothering to become informed.
  2. While I agree that people should be civil when calling customer support, support personnel shuld never be nasty when providing help, even if the caller is angry or rude.  There is never any excuse for it.  Period.
  3. I bought all three of my NOOKs because I wanted them and for no other reasons.  I don't need to save space, I don't prefer one book format over the other, I'm not looking to save money on ebooks.  I still buy just as many paper books as ever; I have simply added another format to my hardcovers, trade paperbacks, and mass market paperbaks.
Inspired Correspondent
mpclemens

THE VOICES. THE VOICES MADE ME BUY IT.

"LOOK AT THE SHINY NEW TOY" they said.

"IT'S SO SLIM AND TOUCHABLE" they said.

"YOU CAN CARRY A LIBRARY WITH YOU, EVEN THAT TRASH YOU READ" they said.

And damn them... THEY WERE RIGHT.

Correspondent
kivvie
0 Kudos

After 3 eye surgeries and 2 hand surgeries, I was having trouble reading some of the fine print in books and I was tired of the spasms from my hand when holding really large books. I will still read DTBs, but I cannot read them for as long or as quickly as I can an ebook. My husband laughs when I get an ebook from the library that we have as a DTB upstairs, but it is MORE comfortable to read on the nook. Plus, I can carry all kinds of books with me.

I read A LOT. Now that it is summer, I average about a book and a half a day. Yes, I have read 35 books since the first of June. Being able to make the font bigger has made a large difference in my eye strain.Now if I can just get rid of the uveitis I have so that my vision is sharper.

Inspired Contributor
MrTwyst
0 Kudos

I bought the new Nook for a few reasons.

Recently, I moved residences. I had about 3000 books. Rather than moving them all, I donated 2000 of them to Goodwill. I've moved a number of times, and books occupy a lot of space. 5 years ago, I moved, and left another 2000 books with my ex. I basically dumped 4000 books in the last 5 years. I would rather have kept them. However, as a whole, they take up a tremendous amount of space and a pain to move.

I used to have my entire collection of books partly in storage, the rest spread upon 7 large bookshelves. That's a lot of weight and square footage!

That being said, I didn't like any of the e-readers I have seen up to this point from a cosmetic standpoint. Once I got my hands on the store's demo model, I was hooked by the form factor and functions.

At 49, I've already developed the appropriate eyesight for my age, and love how I can format reading materials to my preferred specifications.

I love that I can have as many books as I choose at my disposal -- in one very convenient, highly portable location. 

The simplicity of use is impressive.

Finally, I read every review I could find about the product and how it compared to other e-readers (particularly the Kindle -- which has a form factor I don't care for). Every reviewer gave the nod toward the Nook.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

I wanted an ereader because I am one of those who are attracted to a shiny, new, electronic device and this was in a decent price range. Also I am a life long reader and it offered me the ability to always have a book with me that didn't take up a lot of space.

I chose the Nook because it looked better than the Kindle and allows the downloading of library books. I honestly didn't really know about all the other readers out there at that time.

Since getting my Nook I have learned to love it for many more reasons. B&N offers a great range of free books and there is always a Free Friday selection to look forward to. I like that I can take it to a B&N store and read in store and sometimes get a freebie in the cafe. I like the access to magazines.

I am happy every day with my choice!

Contributor
sheilatn
0 Kudos

I love gadgets, and when I broke my wrist (surgery, plate, screws) and couldn't hold books open, I chose the nook so I could also have library books available.  I have never used the games, etc. on my classic nook, (N1E I guess now.)  I would love to have a Nook Color, but not the newest Nook yet.  The best will be the future Nook which has a colored EInk screen.  I'm waiting for it.  I just know it is coming.

SheilaTN

Correspondent
Byteguy

Tess75 wrote:

Just by reading the messages that were posted turned me away from reading any of them. I'm not trying to be a B. It was just a lot of negative messages. Not one had anything positive about the Nook or the B&N in the Subject line.

One thing to remember, this is a support board.  People don't come here to post "Everything is working super-duper."  They come here to say "I've got a problem, help!"

Sadly, some people forget to be nice about it and say "this sucks, I can't figure this out" instead of "I'm having trouble and need help."

Anyway... why the Nook?  I was up late one Sunday with NOTHING in the house to read... bookstores closed, library closed.. I even checked my daughter's bookshelves but couldn't bring myself to read the only thing they had that I hadn't already read: a Twilight novel (shudder).

Then, I thought, if I had a cool e-reader I could just pull something from the library website.  And so the search began.  The Nook Touch is exactly what I want; small, inexpensive, easy to read, doesn't need to be constantly charged, and holds tons of books.  My youngest daughter has fallen in love with it and announced today that she's saving up her money to buy her own.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Why did I buy the Nook?  We were going on vacation and I didn't want to take my usual 4 or 5 books to keep me going all week.  I've never regretted purchasing my Nook (and now my N2E)...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

Kivvie, I have many of the same reasons as you...mostly I have inflammatory arthritis in my hands and cannot hold a standard book (size and weight are issues).  I didn't realize the effect this had on my reading until I got my Nook, now I'm reading about the same as you (about a book a day to a day and a half).

Other reasons for choosing a Nook (I have the N1E). Well expandable memory cards.  Ability to read a wide variety of formats (including most offered on overdrive) so I'm not tied to one vendor or source.  Changeable battery, and the colour screen (I like the cover art), and no superfluous keyboards.  Oh, and I really love the game soduku (probably the only one who does).

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Contributor
Leontd
0 Kudos

I had a very vivid dream about a cobbler wearing a jipijapa, who saved 5 teenagers life, by telling them that their "fashion" shoes will cause a mis-circulation blood flow through their body, and will eventually cause leukemia. Then my dream started swifting forward to the future and saw 3 of those teenagers alive, and the other 2 died. I wondered why, and found out that the 2 that died that listen to the cobbler. So the 3 that were alive wanted to obtain this cobbler mysterious intellectual power, so they decided to buy a nook to expand their knowledge conquest. And that's how i got my nook.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

I finally broke down and bought my Nook (2E) after having to hang my head in shame over the past 18 months whenever customers asked me if I owned one. Now I can hold my head up high and proudly say, "Yes, I own a Nook, and I love it!" No more brown paper bags with cut-out eye holes for me!

Nah, I just made that up. The N2E was the Nook I wish we'd come out with the first time around. Having been there on Day One when we got our first demo units, I've lived through the bugs and the headaches, and never really liked the N1E enough to pay real money for it, not even after they started selling refurbs or now with the price drop to make way for the N2E. Nook Color is awesome, but it has way more stuff than I actually need. When they announced the N2E, I instantly knew I was going to get one, even before I'd been able to hold it. I've had it two weeks now, and I can tell you that my year and a half of waiting for the right device was absolutely worth it.

Contributor
krabbeni
0 Kudos

If you read the post I just made to the thread asking about people who own the first edition why they bought the second,  I talk about some of the things you're asking about.

I too have a disability (chronic pain) and I do find that it's easier to read using the nook.  I read between 300 and a thousand pages a week.  I have boxes and boxes of books in my basement.  I only use the nook for reading books.  I love that I don't have to go to the store or the library to get new books to read.  I love that I can preorder books by my favorite authors.  I love that I don't have to go to the basement to find an old book.  I can just look in my library and bring the book right up.  When I go on vacation, I can bring my entire library with me so I don't have to carry heavy books in my suitcase and I don't have to decide what I want to read a head of time.

My husband doesn't have a nook, but he can access my library on his ipad.  The books he usually reads are large heavy books and are difficult to carry.  He loves that he doesn't have to carry them.  My son usually has three or four reading books in his backpack, but he can now load them electronicallyon either his itouch or ipad (he uses it for school), so he can read any of his books at anytime.  It's also easier for him to share his books with me.

The nook is very light and easy to hold, so I don't have trouble with pain.  I have the clipon light, so I can read in my bedroom even after my husband goes to bed or when we are in a hotel, I don't disturb my husband and kids.

I was a software test engineer for 20 years (before stopping work due to chronic pain) and so I look at the nook a little differently than most people.  I have both the first edition and the second edition (but not the color).  There are definitely software problems with the second edition, but based on how Barnes and Noble handled updates for the first edition I do expect that these problems will be fixed with software updates.

Even knowing the software problems that the second edition has, I would still buy it over again.  The improvements that have been made makes it an easy decision.

I do however wish that Barnes and Noble would take advantage of the fact that most of their employees are voracious readers, because I think the software and the hardware would be much better with that workforce testing it before they release the product.  I know a bunch of people that work at my local store and I asked if they are able to test the nook, but B&N won't let them have it for free so unfortunately many of the employees still read hardback and paper backs becuase of the discount they get on them.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

What made me buy my nooks?  Many reasons.  The first one was all the brouhaha about the e-readers.  One winter morning I went to my local B&N store, saw the N1E and played with it for a few minutes.  I decided to purchase one and became addicted to it in no time.  I particularly like the colored navigation screen, the color of the device and its shape.  I reckon it may be a bit heavy at times. 

Then, I had the opportunity to play with the N2E and iwas totally caught  by its new appearance and espeicially by the light weight. 

Reading has always been a fun and rewarding activity, however, the Nooks have added a new dimension to reading.  Now reading from an electronic device is a more practical experience.  You can have a universe of topics, authors, ideas, etc within a device. 

Lector GS
Inspired Contributor
JuBear10
0 Kudos

The top reason I chose the Nook was: I love how it feels in my hands! The back is shaped just right for comfortable reading. I also loved the touch screen on the bottom (no clutter-y buttons for me). I love it so much that I recently got a Nook Color so I could read magazines. I love it, too! I will probably end up with a Simple Touch in the future.

I am a trainer in a call center. Part of my job is to make sure our reps know how to remain professional at all times, even when someone is not being very respectful. It is never appropriate for a CSR to be have unprofessionally.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Tess75 wrote:

I deal with customers all day (not in customer service) and it shouldn't matter how you are treated.  Your response should always be professional and polite.

That said, you certainly can get a more positive response as a customer if you treat customer service with the professionalism and respect that you expect from them.

There is no excuse for either the customer or the customer service rep to ever be impolite.

I agree with you on how you should respond professional as well as polite. It was not my intent to make excuses for (customer service) to be rude. So far I've had to deal with customer service for my Nook and yes at times it can become frustrating when it turns into a two hour call. Then to top it off the problem was never fixed. So I see why there are a lot of B&N members that can get upset and I to could be wrong. Maybe they just have to vent to others that deal with the same issues. I my self work with people every day. Sometimes it can get to the boiling point. That's when I take a deep breath and try to see their side. I will also say there has been a couple times that I lost it as a customer then I'll remember what it was like being in their shoes and will apologize for my behavior. There was no excuse for my response when they tried to help. It came down to a communication error! Once cleared things moved on.

So if I sounded like I was making excuses for people working in (Customer Service) that was not at all my intent. I was trying to get through that people aren't perfect and Customer Service can be mentally draining. So yes sometimes they make mistakes but I think that sometimes we need to talk out the problem first instead of attacking them.

I hope this makes more sense now that I explained what I was originally trying to convey in the first place!:smileyhappy:

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
Contributor
lazulisong
0 Kudos

I spent a year or so Thinking About It, but when Kobo and Nook both came out with touchscreens and the lower price I decided to finally get one.

I ended up getting the Nook specifically because it was available sooner and reads epubs.

Then I walked into a store like CAN I GIVE YOU MONEY?? and the poor Nook guy was like NO WE DON'T HAVE STOCK. He did offer to call me when he got more stock in, but I ended up ordering online. When the wait at the store is over the week and the website has free shipping, I mean.

... THEN I found out about Adobe Digital Editions' lousy *nix support. *claws face* I think there's dualbooting in my future, curse it! But I want library books and GoogleBooks, so I'm kind of up Sugar Creek. (You can run ADE via WINE in Ubuntu, but WINE just stares suspiciously at USB media, so you can't just pull it over to the Nook like you do on a PC. I think you could get around it if Nook for PC -- which also can be run through WINE -- would just flipping sync with the N2E!)

--
while (morale improvement) { beatings(); }