Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
hikeyosemite
0 Kudos

Reading e-books from public library on Nook color

I checked out an Adobe digital edition from my library and copied it to my Nook color.  On my computer, it says it is an EPUB file, but Adobe Digital Editions pops up when I open it.  On the Nook, it says the file cannot be opened because it is locked.  To unlock it, it requires a credit card #, but I didn't purchase the book--it is a 14-day loan.  If we cannot read these library ebooks on Nook, that negates one of the main reasons we purchased a portable e-reader.  Help!

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Re: Reading e-books from public library on Nook color

Did you copy it to your NOOK from within Adobe Digital Editions?  You can't just copy them over without it.  The ebooks won't work.

See this link:

FrogAlum's Guide to Library Books

Contributor
Johnnymop
0 Kudos

Maybe you can check with your library and see what their policy is. It seems wierd that you would need a credit card #... maybe it is in case you don't return the loaner or damage it :smileywink:?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

hikeyosemite wrote:

I checked out an Adobe digital edition from my library and copied it to my Nook color.  On my computer, it says it is an EPUB file, but Adobe Digital Editions pops up when I open it.  On the Nook, it says the file cannot be opened because it is locked.  To unlock it, it requires a credit card #, but I didn't purchase the book--it is a 14-day loan.  If we cannot read these library ebooks on Nook, that negates one of the main reasons we purchased a portable e-reader.  Help!

You have to use ADE to unlock the library book's DRM.  The reason you're getting this message is that the NOOK can't read DRMed ebooks unless they're unlocked.  The CC# will unlock a B&N DRMed ebook on a NOOK, but you don't want to do this.  You just need to let the book open in ADE.

You also have to authorize your NOOK inside ADE.

Then you have to move the icon of the book to the icon of NOOK that appears in the bookshelves in the left-hand column INSIDE ADE.  (NOOKColor users report that it appears as Media, not NOOK sometimes in ADE, but it works regardless of how the device appears.)

Nallia's link explains it all - and I've got the same link in my signature.

Frequent Contributor
lorabele
0 Kudos

You should post this on the NookColor message board.  This board is for Nook Classic, so you may or may not get the answer you seek.

New User
hikeyosemite

Thanks, everyone!  I got it to work.

I also found these step-by-step instructions on this forum and it worked.  Indeed, I did first try to copy it when I wasn't in Adobe Digital:

cut n pasted from other threads:

How to download library ebooks

Necessary software and authorization:

1.  Download the Adobe Digital Editions software from http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/.

2.  Open Adobe Digital Editions.  It should prompt you to create an Adobe account or to login to your existing account and then to authorize your computer as one of your five devices. Follow the click through path to authorize the device. 

3.  Attach your nook to your computer via USB which ADE is open.  ADE will prompt you to authorize your NOOK.  Follow the click through path to authorize the device.

To search for library titles:

1.  Go to your local library’s website or search for a particular library online.  You can search for library websites that contain ebook content from Overdrive’s website at http://search.overdrive.com.  Searching by zip code will give you public libraries that have eBook content within 100 miles of the zipcode.

2.  Once you are the library’s eBook site, you will need a library card/account in order to checkout eBooks.

3.  Once logged in, you can search for titles in the following ways

• Entering title/keywords in the search bar
  • Browse by format
  • Browse by subject

4.  eBook titles will appear with format specific indicators (i.e. PDF or ePub) and with icons to display what devices it can be downloaded to.  (Note there is not a way to directly put it on your eReader device, which is why you need to use Adobe Digital Editions)

5.  When trying borrow an eBook title from the library, there will be two options.  The option name varies from library to library but they have the same idea.  For this guide, I will use New York Public Library’s terms and format, which is to request the item or add the item to your eList

• eList is adding the items to your account “queue” in order to “check out” the title.  “Check out” means downloading it to the location on the PC that Adobe Digital Editions is authorized on.
  • Requesting an item – The title that you select might be checked out already by another individual.  You can put a request for the title and the library will email you when the title becomes available to borrow.

What to do with the title:

1.  Once you have checked out a title from your local library, download it to your computer.  Once you hit the download button, the file that you will be prompted to download is a “.acsm” file.

2.  Click open and the file will open up in ADE and refresh your library with new content.  The title will display the amount of days you have left in the loan period.  You can also save the .acsm file to your PC and open the file in ADE.

3.  Go to the library view.  Drag the title to the “NOOK” icon.

4.  Undock the NOOK from your computer.

5.  In the Library, open My Documents.

6.  The title should be available to be read for the period of time specified by the library.

New User
Geebot
0 Kudos

I think this is the credit card required for the Nook to read any books. You need to go to B&N webpage and sign in and add a credit card to your account. It won't get charged or anything.

New User
hikeyosemite

[ Edited ]

No, the credit card was requested for the individual book (asking what card I had used to purchase the book, therefore allowing the unlocking of the book permissions).  By following the directions and transferring the book file from my PC to the Nook from within the Adobe Digital Editions program, the permission I received when I checked out the book (from the online library with my library card ID) transferred.  I did not have to enter a credit card # after I had done this (and, in fact, the credit card would most likely not have worked to transfer the permission since the permission was granted through the online library checkout process).  The problem was with e-book permissions--not with the Nook.