Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
CALK
0 Kudos

Really irate!

I want my nook that I bought last year to have the  text to talk feature and the book feature for kids.   Totally unfair!!!!   Also the new color nook doesn't have 3G which limits it's usage to get books anywhere and you still don't have any decent  games.  Hello not everyone plays chess or does word puzzles!

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Re: Really irate!

CALK wrote:

I want my nook that I bought last year to have the  text to talk feature and the book feature for kids.   Totally unfair!!!!   Also the new color nook doesn't have 3G which limits it's usage to get books anywhere and you still don't have any decent  games.  Hello not everyone plays chess or does word puzzles!

Boy, I really hope you're saying that tougue in cheek.

In that vein, I'd like my old Jeep to have all the features of a new Jeep.

But life and technology, don't work that way.    In fact, most products, especially tech products, come with a disclaimer saying the manufaturer is under no obligation to add new featuers or bring them up to "current models."

---------
Don
Frequent Contributor
IronmanMM
0 Kudos

I think this is hilarious !  OP has a wonderful sense of humor.

Correspondent
Trazy

[ Edited ]

My guess is that there is no 3G because of the high bandwidth associated with the new color content.

Don't be irate.  (Technology) life's too short.

"You can see a lot by just looking" - Yogi Berra
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

CALK,

NOOKcolor does not have a text-to-speech function.  A certain number of enhanced children's books will have professionally recorded soundtrack in addition to the ActiveTouch features.  There are thousands of children's book available already for NOOK.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CALK wrote:

Oh boy here we go again. Another person who feels they have been ripped off or entitled to something. Of course they never come back their own threads.

Inspired Contributor
Katie_798

[ Edited ]

Anthony1970 wrote:

Of course they never come back their own threads.

Heeey. I agree that CALK shouldn't be complaining about something she should have expected but how about we watch the words we use to speak to and about people huh?

There isn't any reason to be disrespectful.

Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Katie_798 wrote:

Anthony1970 wrote:

Of course they never come back their own threads.

Heeey. I agree that CALK shouldn't be complaining about something she should have expected but how about we watch the words we use to speak to and about people huh?

There isn't any reason to be disrespectful.

Its not like I cussed or anything. In fact the amount of disgruntled Nook owners we have seen here lately have been very disrespectful to BN. Many are on the verge of trolling.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS

Mine has text to speach

I display the text.  I read it out loud.

Bazinga ! :smileyhappy:

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
Jimboinco

Alas,  My nook is silent too.  My lips don't even move.  I guess if you want a multimedia device a nook isn't the right choice.  However my imagination does fill in the gaps.

Frequent Contributor
Gus97

CALK wrote:

I'm not sure about the rest, but the text to talk feature seems like something that could easily be added by a software update. Stay tuned.

"If inspiration doesn't knock, build a door." -Milton Berle
Contributor
CALK
0 Kudos

Kindle has 3G and text to talk.  I'd rather hear my book while I'm drving then have a stupid chess game

Contributor
CALK
0 Kudos

Thank you!   That's all I'm saying it would be an easy update it has a music player already.   But they have not been keeping it updated.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

CALK wrote:

Kindle has 3G and text to talk.  I'd rather hear my book while I'm drving then have a stupid chess game

So, buy a kindle.  :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Byteguy

[ Edited ]

Have any of these people actually HEARD a computer read a book?  Sure, it's ok for a minute or two... but UGH.  Think of how your GPS gets on your nerves.  Now, think of it reading "The Lost Symbol" to you.

If you want audio, get an ipod and buy audiobooks.  A human knows the difference between "let's EAT, grandma" and "let's eat GRANDMA"

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

Yes Nalia, it seems that there are some people bringing up zombies (a lot tend to be critical of Nook and praising the Kindle)...ah well...

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

It isn't really a zombie thread if the OP is the one who revives it in my opinion.  There were several comments about his/her being a troll because he/she never came back to the thread and now he/she has.

Wordsmith
Tim40744

Nallia wrote:

Wow.  It's a zombie thread!

Zombie thread? Here ya go...

Zombie Survival Guide  

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

It isn't really a zombie thread if the OP is the one who revives it in my opinion.  There were several comments about his/her being a troll because he/she never came back to the thread and now he/she has.

Yes, 11 months later.  Was any kind of update posted?  No.  Just more of the same ranting.  Ranting that could easily be interpreted as trolling.  Personally, I find it a bit sad that someone can become irate over such a silly first world problem.  And I find it really sad that someone could hold on to such anger for almost an entire year.