Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Release 1.3 and deleting sideloaded content

Since the release of nook software version 1.3 I have been seeing a lot of posts concerning the inability to delete sideloaded content from the nook (that is the user deletes the file but it still shows up in the library).

I thought I'd put a summary of the cause of the problem and how to correct it here for handy reference.

Cause:

Prior to release 1.3 the nook looked in the "my documents" folder on the internal sd card for sideloaded books.

With the 1.3 release the nook started looking everywhere on the card for sideloaded content.

When a file is deleted on from the nook using Windows, MacOS, or a Linux GUI, it is actually moved to a trash can folder on the drive. This folder can various names depending on the O/S used and even the version of the O/S. It is usually a hidden file and you will not be able to see it using your normal explorer (windows) or finder (Mac) settings.

The nook cares nothing about the "special" trashcan folder. As far as nook is concerned the trashcan is just another folder holding content, so that your deleted books are found in there and displayed. In fact if you add and delete the same book to your nook multiple times it will show up in your listing multiple times.

Resolution:

Set your file browser options to show hidden and system folders and look for a folder called Recycler or trashcan or watebasket on the root of your nook SD card (both the internal and the expansion card). You can delete this folder and check for new content after ejecting the nook and the deleted books should be gone.

Alternatively, with the nook attached to your computer you can select "Empty Trash" or "Empty Recycle Bin" as appropriate on your computer and that should also delete the contents.

Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Re: Release 1.3 and deleting sideloaded content

Another possible option - when looking at the files in Windows Explorer, and you highlight them and then press Shift & Delete at the same time, it is supposed to delete the file without sending it to the recycle bin. (Don't know if this works well on the nook or not).

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Rasyr wrote:

Another possible option - when looking at the files in Windows Explorer, and you highlight them and then press Shift & Delete at the same time, it is supposed to delete the file without sending it to the recycle bin. (Don't know if this works well on the nook or not).

Yes that should work when deleting files on the nook as well.

Going forward it is a good choice for people deleting files.

My procedure above was for people who have already deleted files on their nook and are getting frustrated because they keep on showing up.

Even more frustrating was the nook owner who deleted the files successfully under 1.2 only to have them reappear under 1.3.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

When I plug my nook into my PC is calls it drive G:\ and displays all the folders -  my documents, my B&N downloads, my music, etc.   I've selected show hidden files and there is no file that calls itself trash, or recycle,  I tried looking in some of the other folders and didn't see it there as well.

Is it because I haven't deleted anything recently? I definitely don't want to have duplicates show up of files I've deleted in the past, there have been quite a few, just not recent.

Linda

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

...Even more frustrating was the nook owner who deleted the files successfully under 1.2 only to have them reappear under 1.3.

Which means that under 1.2 they never were really deleted and continued to take up space on the internal drive/sd card.

So under 1.2 a delete of sideloaded content was actually just the "archive" function :smileyhappy:

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Frequent Contributor
clka
0 Kudos

Oh, gosh, that explains the mystery I just encountered when I selected the "nook" on ADE and every last thing that I've had on there and supposedly deleted was listed...every library book, all those little more in store stories, etc!  Ugh.  Well, I'll hook nook up again and try to find a trash folder, I sure don't want all that taking up space.

Cheryl

New User
Flippy
0 Kudos

When I navigate on my nookcolor to the 'my files' directory, it shows both a 'my files' and a 'recycled' folder.  When I connect to my laptop computer, the 'recycled' folder with files I have deleted does not show up in the same directory as the nook in windows explorer.  Any way I can get to these files (videos) to delete them so they're not taking up memory?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Flippy wrote:

When I navigate on my nookcolor to the 'my files' directory, it shows both a 'my files' and a 'recycled' folder.  When I connect to my laptop computer, the 'recycled' folder with files I have deleted does not show up in the same directory as the nook in windows explorer.  Any way I can get to these files (videos) to delete them so they're not taking up memory?

This is an old, old post on the nook v1.3 (now up to 1.5).  You need to post your question on one of the NOOKColor boards -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport