Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Grumps
0 Kudos

Remap next page/previous page buttons?

On the nook, is it possible to make the Next Page button and the Previous Page buttons

change places?  i.e. remap them? 

I think the upper button should be Next as it's in a more comfortable position while

holding the nook.  In its current, lower position, you have to keep bending your thumb

awkwardly to press it, and holding the nook lower makes it unbalanced & top-heavy.

Does anyone else find the Next Page button placed incorrectly, or are my hands

just too big? :smileysad:

Thanks

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

Re: Remap next page/previous page buttons?

I think that would be a great setting option... I too find the placing of the buttons for previous page more comfortable.

Inspired Contributor
CaliMar
0 Kudos

Sorry, Grumps.  The buttons are perfectly placed for me :smileyhappy:  Though I can see how the placement might not be perfect for everyone.

Contributor
ImageisEverything
0 Kudos

I'm with you, Grumps.  My thumb fits perfectly over the upper (prior page) button.  I have to keep it bent awkwardly to position it over the lower (next page) button or hold the nook at a lower position so that it becomes too top heavy.  This will probably be an easy hack or configuration change added at some point.

Contributor
jgarreth
0 Kudos

There's never going to be a perfect place for everyone. I like them right where they are at.  I am able to turn pages smoothly.

Frequent Contributor
Fizix
0 Kudos

Right.  There will never be a perfect place for everyone.  Which is why Grumps suggestion is excellent--that the buttons be re-mappable.  So, you can persoanlize them.  I also find the upper (page back) buttons more convenient for paging forward!

Contributor
bayt
0 Kudos

great idea, also helps people who have faulty buttons but mainly it would make it more comfortable to read 

Inspired Correspondent
debiant
0 Kudos

I agree, being able to remap the buttons would be excellent!  I'm in the same boat.  When I hold my nook the top buttons are much more accessible for me.

Contributor
Averhoeven
0 Kudos

I suggested this exact thing for the exact same reasons when I first got my nook too. Needless to say, I agree.

Contributor
onlinespending
0 Kudos

What's really dumb is that they put both previous buttons at the same height on both sides (as they did with the next page buttons).

So their layout now is like this:

<    <

>    >

Why didn't they just do this????

<    >

<    >

This way you have two different heights you can rest your hands at.  I find it odd that my left hand has to sit higher to go back, than my right hand has to sit to go forward.  I would like to just hold the nook with both hands at equal heights.  It's this small, yet obvious things that B&N overlooked that have you scratching your head.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

onlinespending wrote:

What's really dumb is that they put both previous buttons at the same height on both sides (as they did with the next page buttons).

So their layout now is like this:

<    <

>    >

Why didn't they just do this????

<    >

<    >

This way you have two different heights you can rest your hands at.  I find it odd that my left hand has to sit higher to go back, than my right hand has to sit to go forward.  I would like to just hold the nook with both hands at equal heights.  It's this small, yet obvious things that B&N overlooked that have you scratching your head.

Because not ever reader has two hands, and every reader occasional has something else in their other hand.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Averhoeven wrote:

I suggested this exact thing for the exact same reasons when I first got my nook too. Needless to say, I agree.

Yup, I recommended this too.  The natural way to hold this device leaves you thumb on the page back.

Contributor
onlinespending
0 Kudos

Good point.  I guess they could have done something like this by default.

<    >

>    <

So at least you can use either left or right depending on which is most comfortable to you (having next above previous, or vice-versa).  Or better yet, as this thread suggests, just allow us to remap them how we want.

Frequent Contributor
cmassa
0 Kudos

i doubt this will happen officially but it's certainly something that could be added on a rooted nook. Maybe someone with an account on nookdevs can add it to the "wishlist" so they can get it done. Personally i'd like to set mine up 

< >

>

as i press forward probably 100 times for every time i press back.

Frequent Contributor
cmassa
0 Kudos

here is it is, changing button mappings for rooted nooks - 

http://nookdevs.com/Button_mappings

Frequent Contributor
four0six
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That's really cool!

But, I take it you have to have the Nookdev stuff installed on the Nook first?

Frequent Contributor
harkinat0r
0 Kudos

Naturally as a member of the iPhone jailbreak community, I think it's great that the Nook Devs have rooted this thing.  I think twitter and pandora would be excellent on the Nook if the battery can handle it.  However, be careful because things like that will void your warranty.  If you were a person who had trouble applying the 1.2 update to your Nook, please do this forum and everyone who works in the Nook repair department at BN a favor and don't try rooting your device.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

harkinat0r wrote:

Naturally as a member of the iPhone jailbreak community, I think it's great that the Nook Devs have rooted this thing.  I think twitter and pandora would be excellent on the Nook if the battery can handle it.  However, be careful because things like that will void your warranty.  If you were a person who had trouble applying the 1.2 update to your Nook, please do this forum and everyone who works in the Nook repair department at BN a favor and don't try rooting your device.

Well said.

If you bought your nook to read books, run away from nookdevs like your hair is on fire.

Its too early in the product life cycle (and too early in your warranty) to be hacking your nooks this way unless you know exactly what you are doing, have Android programming experience, and you don't care if it works for reading or not.  

By the time your warranty has expired the nookdevs will probably have a quick, painless, and fairly safe way of applying their hacks, but at the moment they are having enough trouble keeping their web site running.  Not an awe inspiring confidence builder in my mind.  These guys are college kids for the most part, and they frequently just disappear for weeks to take exams.

Also bear in mind that the minute the nookdevs start releasing hacks and applications that allows you to use the Free for life AT&T wireless for other than its intended purpose, it will no longer be free for life. Hopefully they will restrict their efforts to wifi exploitation.