Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
Posts: 125
Registered: ‎01-13-2011
0 Kudos

SD Card how to...kinda need help

Okay, today I'm going to get an SD card...I've already filled my classic nook, and have no new room (even with archived books)...not to mention, I haven't even loaded books from the ADE, and I have a few of those...

 

So what I want to know is how do I get new (or even older) content to always load to the SD card first (I think I'm going with an 8GB card at this point)...I know Doug had some How To's...but I need to refresh my memory...

 

Oh, I haven't gotten it yet, so just wondering (in case I'm not the only one) which speed class is preferable/optimal?  At what point/class does it not make a difference? TIA!

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Wordsmith
ProfReader
Posts: 1,136
Registered: ‎02-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

class 2 is sufficent.


Nerdgirljenn wrote:

Okay, today I'm going to get an SD card...I've already filled my classic nook, and have no new room (even with archived books)...not to mention, I haven't even loaded books from the ADE, and I have a few of those...

 

So what I want to know is how do I get new (or even older) content to always load to the SD card first (I think I'm going with an 8GB card at this point)...I know Doug had some How To's...but I need to refresh my memory...

 

Oh, I haven't gotten it yet, so just wondering (in case I'm not the only one) which speed class is preferable/optimal?  At what point/class does it not make a difference? TIA!


 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎09-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help


Nerdgirljenn wrote:

Okay, today I'm going to get an SD card...I've already filled my classic nook, and have no new room (even with archived books)...not to mention, I haven't even loaded books from the ADE, and I have a few of those...

 

So what I want to know is how do I get new (or even older) content to always load to the SD card first (I think I'm going with an 8GB card at this point)...I know Doug had some How To's...but I need to refresh my memory...

 

Oh, I haven't gotten it yet, so just wondering (in case I'm not the only one) which speed class is preferable/optimal?  At what point/class does it not make a difference? TIA!


Assuming you do not have a significant number of image or music files, this means you have around 1000 books on your nook?

 

Regarding the Class of the SDHC;

The nook accepts Class 2, 4 and 6. Go for the lowest price within that constraint. The Class of the card will not affect your nook's performance.

 

Regarding how to get books on the SD card;

  • Computer - automatically detects the drive.
  • Calibre - automatically detects the drive.
  • Nook for PC - automatically detects the drive.
  • ADE - copy the .adobe-digital-editions folder on your nook's drive to the SD card.

 

In each case, for sideloading you will have the option to copy to the nook drive or the SD card.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

@Nerdgirljenn

 

If you're Nook is already full, you might want to consider a 16GB card instead of an 8 GB.

 

You can sideload new content to My Documents to your microSD card; books you purchase from B&N and want in My B&N Library will NOT load there, so be sure to leave some space in your main storage.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,617
Registered: ‎10-21-2009
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

And it's my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that only sideloaded content (My Documents, music files, etc) can live on the SD card.

 

The items and content for the My B&N Library must be in the main device memory to properly appear and function. So if you've maxed out on titles directly from B&N, you'll have to manage your space by archiving titles you don't need immediate access to and only leave unarchived those titles you must have access to on the device.

 

Like I said, just my understanding, but things may have changed. I have really played with my folder structure since 1.5 came out.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


RHWright wrote:

And it's my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that only sideloaded content (My Documents, music files, etc) can live on the SD card.


 

Well, yes and no. Books purchased from B&N are automatically downloaded to the B&N library on the nook. There is no way to make them autodownload to any other place.

 

However, you can go to your online library, click the download button and download the book to your computer. Then you can use a program like Calibre to formulate a library, or even several libraries, and add the downloaded B&N book to one of the libraries (this is great for backups). My Calibre libraries live on an external hard drive.

 

Then, you can sideload even a B&N book to an SD card or the My Documents folder on the nook. The only thing that might happen is if you have deleted the book from the online archive, it may ask for a credit card number again, but I've not had that happen yet.

 

I've not had good luck with music files on an SD card. They seem to only want to play if they are on the main device in the proper folder.

 

 

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


Desert_Brat wrote:

 


RHWright wrote:

And it's my understanding (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that only sideloaded content (My Documents, music files, etc) can live on the SD card.


 

Well, yes and no.

 

However, you can go to your online library, click the download button and download the book to your computer. Then you can use a program like Calibre to formulate a library, or even several libraries, and add the downloaded B&N book to one of the libraries (this is great for backups). My Calibre libraries live on an external hard drive.

 

Then, you can sideload even a B&N book to an SD card or the My Documents folder on the nook.

 

 


In other words, the correct answer is "Well, yes and yes."

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


Desert_Brat wrote:

I've not had good luck with music files on an SD card. They seem to only want to play if they are on the main device in the proper folder.


 

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
Tweedledee
Posts: 291
Registered: ‎07-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

@Desert_Brat

 

That is really odd, cause mine play fine from the SD card....on both the e-ink nook and ColorNook....Gremlins perhaps in the SD card???  :smileyvery-happy:

 

I loaded them into a folder on the SD card - my music, a mirror of the folder on the nook directory.  Hummmm, odd.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


Tweedledee wrote:

That is really odd, cause mine play fine from the SD card....on both the e-ink nook and ColorNook....Gremlins perhaps in the SD card???  :smileyvery-happy:


 

The SD card seems to be fine, it also works in either nook. I seem to have some odd things about my Nook 3G, but I don't know they are odd until someone else mentions otherwise.

 

For instance, recently ABThree said that only B&N books show up in the B&N library, and only sideloaded items show up in the My Documents library. On my nook, B&N library shows only B&N books -- but on my 3G the My Documents shows all books (even B&N), but not on the nook color where they are segregated.

 

I have a few little oddities like that, but they aren't enough to make me jump up and down and call CS or get the nook replaced. For the most part, these things actually seem to be and advantage rather than a drawback. Go figure.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


Desert_Brat wrote:

 

For instance, recently ABThree said that only B&N books show up in the B&N library, and only sideloaded items show up in the My Documents library. On my nook, B&N library shows only B&N books -- but on my 3G the My Documents shows all books (even B&N), but not on the nook color where they are segregated.

 


If you've sideloaded copies of your B&N books onto your SD card, those copies will show up in My Documents, like any other sideloaded content.  Are those the B&N books you're seeing in My Documents?

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


ABthree wrote:

If you've sideloaded copies of your B&N books onto your SD card, those copies will show up in My Documents, like any other sideloaded content.  Are those the B&N books you're seeing in My Documents?


 

Nope, they are the B&N library books. It shows a combined library. Same thing for the shelves, I see all books.

 

I don't have any sideloaded B&N books on the nook, only content from elsewhere or personal collections is sideloaded, everything else is autodownloaded from B&N.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


Desert_Brat wrote:

 

 

Nope, they are the B&N library books. It shows a combined library. Same thing for the shelves, I see all books.

 

I don't have any sideloaded B&N books on the nook, only content from elsewhere or personal collections is sideloaded, everything else is autodownloaded from B&N.


Well, you have a SuperNook, then.  I hope it doesn't lose the ability at the next software update.  :smileywink:

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Tweedledee
Posts: 291
Registered: ‎07-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

@Desert_Brat

 

If I could get my 3G/WIFI nook to do that I would be verrrrryyyyy happy!!!!! (yes I abused the poor little !'s and used my March allotment up).

 

Wonder what happened to your partition between the drives between the nook on board memory & the SD card?   They appear to be transparent and nook reads them as one.

 

You have a great device with that nook for sure.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
Posts: 1,734
Registered: ‎12-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: SD Card how to...kinda need help

 


Tweedledee wrote:

@Desert_Brat

 

If I could get my 3G/WIFI nook to do that I would be verrrrryyyyy happy!!!!! (yes I abused the poor little !'s and used my March allotment up).

 

Wonder what happened to your partition between the drives between the nook on board memory & the SD card?   They appear to be transparent and nook reads them as one.

 

You have a great device with that nook for sure.


 

Boy, I have no idea why it does. But myself and three friends all bought our nooks almost at the same time, I was the last one to purchase about a week later, and all of our nook 3G models do it. All of us also got an 8GB Sandisk SDHC card from Walmart when they were on sale for less than $10. And I'm the one who purchased those and then everyone paid me for them, so they were bought all at once. My friend's disk works the same in my nook as it does in hers. And mine works fine in my nook color, although I've since purchased a separate card for it.

 

All our nooks can't play music files from sd card either. And they've all acted like this since the beginning. With the 1.5 update, it meant we could see all the books on the shelves in My Documents, too.

 

So I honestly didn't know these things weren't normal and this is probably why some of my answers seem kind of odd at times (aside from the fact that my aging mind goes blank at times).

 

So we all just stay in My Documents view unless we're looking for a specific B&N book. Then we go to the B&N Library just to weed the rest out of the view temporarily.

 

As I said, it doesn't seem to be a problem, at least one that is worrisome. It really does seem to be an advantage overall. And other than this quirky thing, all of our nooks work beautifully. Maybe somebody got the R2 soldered in the R3 spot on a bunch of them or something. :smileyhappy:

 

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!