Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
SusieLee

Scrabble on my Nook

PLEASE Barnes and Noble, give us Scrabble for our Nooks!  You are missing out on some serious cash here! 

Let me know when I can get Scrabble and other games, beyond Suduko and Chess, thanks!

SusieLee

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Re: Scrabble on my Nook

I find it hard to believe that there are any significant number of people who aren't buying NOOKs because they can't play Scrabble on them. You'd only buy a NOOK if you wanted an E-Ink e-reader, and if you want an E-Ink e-reader it's not going to be a deal-breaker if it doesn't play Scrabble.

Nobody knows what B&N's working on, including me. But my guess is that the current NOOK is basically complete from their point of view. Personally, I'm not even expecting that they'll fix the bugs they introduced in 1.5. I sure hope otherwise, but I'm not expecting anything.

If you really want to request a new feature, there's a specific thread set aside for that: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/Ideas-for-nook-classic-v1-6/td-p/7282... — B&N says that they don't have time to read every thread on here.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I find it hard to believe that there are any significant number of people who aren't buying NOOKs because they can't play Scrabble on them. You'd only buy a NOOK if you wanted an E-Ink e-reader, and if you want an E-Ink e-reader it's not going to be a deal-breaker if it doesn't play Scrabble.

Kind of crazy, but I just want to read on my eReader. There are some suggestions on the 1.6 ideas thread I would like to see, to make book organization better. But any changes I would like to see involve reading books. And I truly hope they do NOT seriously much around with introducing other features. The more it has, the more to go wrong. If I want to play games I'll do it on my lap top or my phone (since the latter is always with me).

LisaB

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

SusieLee wrote:

PLEASE Barnes and Noble, give us Scrabble for our Nooks!  You are missing out on some serious cash here! 

Let me know when I can get Scrabble and other games, beyond Suduko and Chess, thanks!

SusieLee

How is Scrabble cash-generating?  I have quite a bit of trouble picturing people walking into a B&N and asking about an e-reader only to find out it doesn't have Scrabble and then walking out the door.  Maybe that's just me though.  I felt that the "reader" portion of "e-reader" was the operative word.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@SusieLee

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Get a NookColor.

It has crosswords now  in addition to sudoku and chess, and will probably have more games in the future.

As others have said, the chances of any further game development for the Nook Classic are slim to none.

Personally, I hope that there's a skunk works in the heart of B&Nland where a dedicated team is working to create a viable Nook Classic 2 based on Mirasol technology, and that ALL their e-ink and related development bucks are going to that.  Probably just a dream, but you never know.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Reader
cheeze2

I am interested in Scrabble for the nook color as well.  It is cash generating because folks pay to download the program.  For example--there is an Android app called Words with friends where folks can play scrabble with friends who have an IPOD or smartphone.  I would REALLY like to have that app on my nook.  I love the Nook for reading but sometimes I just like to play one of the games.  More apps make the Nook more versatile.  When I contacted the tech folks about this, they indicated that there were more apps in the future.  I am not holding my breath on that one--but I AM crossing my fingers and toes.

Distinguished Correspondent
Sir_Vikin

Suzie & Cheeze,

Hey and welcome! 

I too would be interested in seeing Scrabble on the Nook, be it classic or color I think it would be a nice addition to a wonderful device.

“We all boil at different degrees” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contributor
mrsgoodacre

Scrabble or some kind of Word Game would be nice on the Nook.  I don't play Chess or Sudoku.  I don't know who thought those two options would be the most appealing for people who like to read.  I'm kind of a word person myself, not a numbers person.

Inspired Wordsmith
sandie52
0 Kudos

I did't even know my Nook had games until I opened it so not having a game on it didn't factor into my decision to ask for it for christmas. I do like the crossword puzzles and my husband who is not much of a reader really likes playing chess.

If there were more games I would probably use them but I wouldn't pay for them.

Reader
utahsummer
0 Kudos

Not being to access scrabble is a deal breaker for me.

AlanNJ

Me too.  I could never consider buying a book reader to read books because it didn't have a game I wanted...  :smileywink:

I can see it now... I'm reading a book, swiping to get to the next page and wondering where my triple word score is...

New User
msmolokai
0 Kudos

Yes!! words with friends for nook!!!  Someone hurry up!

Correspondent
yarnmama
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Where's Rod Serling? He has to be around here somewhere since I have surely just stepped into "The Twilight Zone" right? :smileyvery-happy:

AlanNJ

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination.  It is only in this area where you will find people purchasing book readers but expecting an android tablet.  It is only in this area where people expect a $119 device to perform as well as a $500 device.   It is an area we call the B&N Zone."

New User
jmd48

I agree!   I want Scrabble for my NOOK.   Didn't realize you couldn't get extra games for the Nook.   Kindle users can download ALL kinds of games.    Guess I should have gone with the Kindle : (

And yes folks... the main purpose of my Nook is to read... but I also like a good word game sometimes!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat

jmd48 wrote:

... Didn't realize you couldn't get extra games for the Nook. ... Guess I should have gone with the Kindle : (

This is something that could have easily been discovered by looking at the product information or even asking the sales person at the nook counter before you bought the nook.

Two out of your three posts are "I should've gone with the Kindle."

So why not put an end to your avenue of lamentation and self-flagellation? Why constantly remind yourself of the brunt of your decision making? For pete's sake, take the nook back and go get a Kindle!

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
AlanNJ

Apparently research takes more effort than it takes to complain after the fact...

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

Wait - I'm not playing Scrabble?  Then what are all these words on the screen?  They almost form some sort of pattern... 

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

jmd48 wrote:

... Didn't realize you couldn't get extra games for the Nook. ... Guess I should have gone with the Kindle : (

This is something that could have easily been discovered by looking at the product information or even asking the sales person at the nook counter before you bought the nook.

Two out of your three posts are "I should've gone with the Kindle."

So why not put an end to your avenue of lamentation and self-flagellation? Why constantly remind yourself of the brunt of your decision making? For pete's sake, take the nook back and go get a Kindle!

Agree! Don't let the door hit you in the you-know-where.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Contributor
Lax_Goalie
0 Kudos

Second that! Really I read on my Nook, if I want more, I'll get an Ipad.

Cheers!

Lax_Goalie