Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
tiffbaker
0 Kudos

Searching Shop - what am I doing wrong?

Just got my new Nook today.  Thanks to the $99 ebay sale.  Trying to find books to download from the shop, but my searches are not returning any results.  Tried authors, titles, etc.  Books I know to be availble.  I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure it out.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Searching Shop - what am I doing wrong?

Contributor
tiffbaker
0 Kudos

On the Nook

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Is your nook showing it's online (WiFi or 3G) ?

Does your nook show up as registered in your B&N account on the web site?

Have you entered credit card info on the B&N web site for your account? (this should not cause search problems, but does prevent you from downloading even free books because the credit card number is used as part of the books DRM) 

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Reader 4
emap
0 Kudos

I'm having the same problem. I can find free ebooks, but when I search for other items including newspapers and magazines the search comes up as "no products matching". Also, when I try to browse subjects the only books that show up are free ebooks. The last time I used my Nook was Sunday and it was fine then.

SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You guys are correct - there seems to be a problem with the nook device search feature.

I just did "Shop" -> "Search" and then entered "ringo" (no quotes)

I expected lots of hits on John Ringo - instead I have 4 matches.  All of them are free books.  All non-fiction.  None by John Ringo

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Contributor
tiffbaker
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

Is your nook showing it's online (WiFi or 3G) ?

Does your nook show up as registered in your B&N account on the web site?

Have you entered credit card info on the B&N web site for your account? (this should not cause search problems, but does prevent you from downloading even free books because the credit card number is used as part of the books DRM) 

Nook shows as registered.  Have a default credit card.  I was able to buy a book at bn.com and it's now on my Nook, but still having issues searching in shop directly on the nook. 

Globaltech
0 Kudos

perhaps an intermittant issue with searching.

Try again tomorrow and if that fails, call 1800thebook.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Contributor
Tylith

There is a known issue using the Shop feature of the NOOK that is causing search to display zero or few results. It is also causing some users who are browsing the shop to see random ineligible characters. They are currently working to resolve these issues.

New User
lsking
0 Kudos

Been having the same problem.  Tried all searches and get either "no products found" or only free books.

New User
NerysGhemor
0 Kudos

If I had to guess what was wrong, I would say either the server that the Nook connects to on the B & N end is down, or suffering a database error.  The other option is that it has changed URL/IP address for whatever reason, and B & N has yet to push an update to our Nooks.

The reason I say this is because as far as I can determine, the free books come from a different server (you'll notice many of them have a Google Books message when you go to read the description).  So in other words, every time your Nook does a search, it is connecting to what appears to be two different servers, and for whatever reason cannot connect to 1 of the 2.

I'm not Nook tech support, but I would not be surprised to see this clear up sometime on Monday once the full staff comes in to see what's wrong.

Reader 2
LitChick77

Glad it's not just me.  I got my father a Nook and was setting it up yesterday.  He found a book and was fussing with the free sample download, so I tried to get it onto my nook - could not find the book at all.  Title, author, keyword... nothing.  I tried again an hour later, and it came right up. 

I have been IN STORE, looking at a book that I want, and the Nook search cannot find it.  I've had to go to my home PC, buy it via the B&N website, and then sync my Nook.

Love the device, but they REALLY need to fix this issue.

Contributor
tiffbaker
0 Kudos

Tylith wrote:

There is a known issue using the Shop feature of the NOOK that is causing search to display zero or few results. It is also causing some users who are browsing the shop to see random ineligible characters. They are currently working to resolve these issues.

Known for how long?  Is this a new issue or existing one?    Thanks!

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

tiffbaker wrote:

Tylith wrote:

Known for how long?  Is this a new issue or existing one?    Thanks!

It's apparently a fairly new issue and most likely some type of server problem.  That said, there is no published time frame for when it will be fixed.  I'm sure they are working on it as we speak, but like most computer problems, it's difficult to give a time frame for when it will be fixed.

There doesn't appear to be any problems with the website search function, so you can still browse, search and buy books on the site and then connect the Nook via WiFi/3G, check for new content and they will download to the Nook.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

We had a customer bring a NOOK with this problem into the store this morning, and are seeing the same problem on our demo units.

Tech Support said this is a known problem since yesterday, and they should have the shop functioning properly by the end of the day today.

Contributor
CoyoteFan
0 Kudos

I'll add a "Me Too"

Is the "Shop" on the Nook, the same store as the BN website?  If you type in Nicholas Sparks in the search field while on the "Shop" on the NOOK itself, you find nothing.  But if you go to the BN website, sure enough, there are all the Nicholas Sparks books in NOOKBOOK format. 

Why are some things unpurchasable on the NOOK, but they are avail on the website, and can add them to your wish list on the computer, and THEN buy them on the NOOK?

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CoyoteFan wrote:

I'll add a "Me Too"

Is the "Shop" on the Nook, the same store as the BN website?  If you type in Nicholas Sparks in the search field while on the "Shop" on the NOOK itself, you find nothing.  But if you go to the BN website, sure enough, there are all the Nicholas Sparks books in NOOKBOOK format. 

Why are some things unpurchasable on the NOOK, but they are avail on the website, and can add them to your wish list on the computer, and THEN buy them on the NOOK?

Shop on the NOOK is not entirely the same as BN.com. Shop limits you to only those NOOKbooks which are compatible with your NOOK; Textbooks that work on NOOKstudy but not NOOK won't show up in shop, and I suspect that periodicals and children's books that are specially formatted for NOOKcolor won't show up in the Shop if you're using a regular NOOK.

The search error is confined to NOOK; you can still browse NOOKbooks in the Shop, or search for them on BN.com, purchase them, and then download them by pressing the "Check for new B&N content" button in My Library to sync your NOOK.

Contributor
CoyoteFan
0 Kudos

Allo,

It turns out I was experiencing a "glitch" that many others have now reported, where somehow the Nook device was returning bad data off the bn servers.  I believe (at least for me) that the problem has been resolved.  If I now type in "Nicholas Sparks" in search, all of his books now show up.

Thanks for the response.