Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
catwoman30189
0 Kudos

Selling Nook

I am trying to sell my Nook so I can upgrade to the Nook Color. When I do sell it, what should I do as far as clearing my account attached to this Nook.  I know I will probably deregister it but will all my books still be in my BN account and transfer to the Nook Color when I register it?

Thanks for your help!:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Selling Nook

I can answer your second question - when you register your NEW Nook Color then YES all the nookbooks on your B&N account will load right in.  Asusming obviously you register the new device with the same account etc.  any side loaded non b&N books you will have to load again manually.

as far as the 1st part about clearing the old one, I'll take a pass on that since I am not sure myself.

BTW, just my 2 cents, take it as you want, but with the new nook coming out (new e-ink nook) and what has seemed to be many refurb sales the last few months, I am wondering how much you may get for your used nook.  are you selling it on ebay?  if you can;t get more than $40-$50 you might want to think about keeping it as a backup or for days you are out in the sun or something.  but obviously that is just a thought.  I am just thinking the orig nooks that were going used for $80-$100 I bet are not fethcing that quite as much now that you can get recertified ones with warrenties etc for $70 now.

but that was not what you were asking about... just wanted to maybe mention it none the less

Inspired Contributor
tattooedmommie
0 Kudos

catwoman30189 wrote:

I am trying to sell my Nook so I can upgrade to the Nook Color. When I do sell it, what should I do as far as clearing my account attached to this Nook.  I know I will probably deregister it but will all my books still be in my BN account and transfer to the Nook Color when I register it?

Thanks for your help!:smileyhappy:

Just some advice that I've learned.. make sure you delete your custom wallpapers and such. I'd go in an delete all my personal stuff on it first, then deregister it.

I noticed you said "probably deregister it". I would say DEFINITELY deregister it, you don't want someone who buys your Nook to have access to your account. Deregistering it basically unattaches the device from your account.

Other than that, as soon as you get your new Nook, register it with the same email address you used for the 1st one and download your books :smileyhappy:

Have fun!

-- Jonna

When the Power of Love becomes stronger than the Love of Power, the world will know peace - Jimi Hendrix
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook wrote:

I can answer your second question - when you register your NEW Nook Color then YES all the nookbooks on your B&N account will load right in.  Asusming obviously you register the new device with the same account etc.  any side loaded non b&N books you will have to load again manually.

as far as the 1st part about clearing the old one, I'll take a pass on that since I am not sure myself.

BTW, just my 2 cents, take it as you want, but with the new nook coming out (new e-ink nook) and what has seemed to be many refurb sales the last few months, I am wondering how much you may get for your used nook.  are you selling it on ebay?  if you can;t get more than $40-$50 you might want to think about keeping it as a backup or for days you are out in the sun or something.  but obviously that is just a thought.  I am just thinking the orig nooks that were going used for $80-$100 I bet are not fethcing that quite as much now that you can get recertified ones with warrenties etc for $70 now.

but that was not what you were asking about... just wanted to maybe mention it none the less

I was considering making the leap to the N2E and looked a eBay to see what I may be able to get for my N1E and was surprised to see they are still selling for $80-$130.
That probably will change after the release of N2E, but you never know.  Some people want/need 3G which the N2E doesn't have.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

I would deregister it, then use the option to reset to factory settings.  That wipes everything on it and leaves it just as it was the first time you turned it on.

Your B&N purchased content is still available via your account when you set up your new device.

Contributor
bassjules
0 Kudos

Thanks for all this info. I just bought the Tablet & don't think I'll have a lot of use for my 1st gen Nook & thinking about selling it.

Contributor
xliderider
0 Kudos

bassjules wrote:

Thanks for all this info. I just bought the Tablet & don't think I'll have a lot of use for my 1st gen Nook & thinking about selling it.

I felt the same way when I got a Nook Color, but I find myself reading my wife's old Nook 1E now.  The e-Ink display can't be beat for pure "reading", and it's nice to have the 3G radio for when you don't have wifi available.  I have to admit though, the N1E response time to button and menu selections is like molasses. lol