Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
ErikATL
0 Kudos

Setting up the nook for my 12 yr old question

I've got to setup my daughter's nook color.  I understand that I need to put a CC on file.  Do I set it up under MY profile and then my daughter can use it?  Or do I set it up in her name with my CC (that I don't want her to use without my permission)?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up the nook for my 12 yr old question

ErikATL wrote:

I've got to setup my daughter's nook color.  I understand that I need to put a CC on file.  Do I set it up under MY profile and then my daughter can use it?  Or do I set it up in her name with my CC (that I don't want her to use without my permission)?

This is the Nook general discussion, but a couple of things to think about. 

If you set it up under your profile (sharing your library), all books you buy will download to her NookColor - do you want that?

I know with the nook, some people do not register their child's unit, but sideload approved content.

You may want to check - I think you can now require a password for purchases.  

New User
ErikATL
0 Kudos

That's sort of what I'm trying to find out.  I do not have a nook or any e-reader.  Is the password used for purchases the same b&n account password or is it a separate one?  That way if it's her b&n account she can log into it on the web but still needs a seperate password to buy something.

I'm trying to get all of this information before I go through the setup process.

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Have you posted this on the nook color discussion or tech boards yet?

I think, bu am not sure, that you might be able to set up a different password, but am not positive.

CS is also another option -- 

Zola

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

ErikATL wrote:

That's sort of what I'm trying to find out.  I do not have a nook or any e-reader.  Is the password used for purchases the same b&n account password or is it a separate one?  That way if it's her b&n account she can log into it on the web but still needs a seperate password to buy something.

I'm trying to get all of this information before I go through the setup process.

I'm not sure.  You can download both the nook and NookColor user guides to your computer and see if you can get some answers there.

Contributor
Msmusicteacher
0 Kudos

I set up my niece's nook account using one of those debit cards you buy at the grocery store.  I used a MC but it will deduct $2 after a year if you don't use the balance.  From what I've read on here American Express doesn't charge the fee. 

Either way, before you put that card on her account, register it online so that it has an address associated with it.  If you do this first you will be able to have a "billing" address when you create her BN account.

I set hers up just fine doing this and then added her gift cards so she could buy more books.  Good luck!