Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Re: Share your Shelves

My shelves are in this order:

Reading

To read-free

To read-paid

Reference

Completed

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

My shelves are

Teen

Nancy Drew

Mystery

Tomb Raider

Criminal Minds

DC Comics

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
New User
kimberlyann13
0 Kudos

Mine are in alphabetical order by series, then on each shelf, they are in numerical order. That way I can look for a series and then look for which book I am reading or going to read next. It takes a little longer to organize but it's worth it.....:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

FWIW, here's mine.

Currently reading

Favorites

To Be Read

Read

(Unshelved)

Simple. :-) Every time I get a new book, it goes to the unshelved section. And once in a while, I go check, and if there's anything I place it on the shelf that I want.

When I finish a book, I remove "Currently reading", and place it on "Read".

I have many books of various subjects and genre, so it's way too crazy to put them all over the place.   However, I haven't broken the 300 books barrier yet. 

Nancy Drew?!? It's not available on eBooks yet....

Inspired Correspondent
ivers
0 Kudos

CyborgQueen wrote:

I don't know when they became available in epub, but...

B&N has several:http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=carolyn+keene&page=index...

There also might be some at your local library:

http://openlibrary.org/search?q=%22carolyn+keene%22&has_fulltext=true

Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ivers wrote:

CyborgQueen wrote:

I don't know when they became available in epub, but...

B&N has several:http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=EBOOK&WRD=carolyn+keene&page=index...

There also might be some at your local library:

http://openlibrary.org/search?q=%22carolyn+keene%22&has_fulltext=true

LOL! Thanks - D'oh! I didn't search for the Author (abeit psesyodumn)!!  I have NEVER read the series, but lately I've been getting the itch to read series that existed when I was a kid. Unfortuantely, the Fear Street Series aren't that great...only very few, and none is available at my library. I don't want to purchase it when I would finish it in like a day or two.

Thanks again!

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CyborgQueen wrote:

FWIW, here's mine.

Currently reading

Favorites

To Be Read

Read

(Unshelved)

Simple. :-) Every time I get a new book, it goes to the unshelved section. And once in a while, I go check, and if there's anything I place it on the shelf that I want.

When I finish a book, I remove "Currently reading", and place it on "Read".

I have many books of various subjects and genre, so it's way too crazy to put them all over the place.   However, I haven't broken the 300 books barrier yet. 

Actually she is, if you go to the nookbook section under kids, you'll see a link for nancy drew books, now why the search engine can't find the e-books for nancy drew is a mystery in its own way.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/childrens-ebooks-kids-ereaders-ebooks-digital-animated/379002530/?bn...

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Frequent Contributor
dave50
0 Kudos

Greetings, LSCB.

As a teenager I worked in a library. So the first thing I did with my Nook Classic was define the primary 100 categories of the Dewey Decimal System as shelves, from "000 GENERALITIES" through "990 GENERAL HISTORY OF OTHER AREAS". Refer to any Dewey Decimal chart for the complete list...

A glutton for punishment, I then proceeded to add about 100 more shelves. Yeah - I know. But I had to have categories for special series like "Harvard Classics" and of course every fiction genre' I could think of: "Fiction: Western", "Fiction: Science Fiction", "Fiction: Romance", "Fiction: Pulp", "Fiction: Paranormal Romance", "Fiction: Other", "Fiction: Newberry Award", "Fiction: Mystery", etc. down to "Fiction: Action-Adventure".

You might have noticed I listed my genre's in reverse? What I didn't realize in my zeal was that shelves are displayed by default with the most recently defined on top! So I ended up with everything upside down! And not even I wanted to shuffle 200 shelves like the Towers of Hanoi! <LOL>

Needless to say the bulk of my approximately 3,500 sideloaded titles resides in "Unshelved" :smileywink: If I had it to do over (and I may if I have to reregister my Nook and lose all that work) I'd probably make do with just a handful: "Recently Read" / "Reading Now" / "To Be Read" - very similar to the "Home Page" panels on the Nook2. (amusingly, the Spell Check function suggests replacing "Nook2" with "Nook")

If (like me) you have thousands of books on your Nook, a directory list can be 3-400 pages - a major strain on the bezel buttons! You can ease the pain by creating an "Index" shelf as a portal.

Create a new shelf (e.g., "Index") then select "Place on or remove from shelf" and scroll through your book list page-by-page (just this once!) adding titles from the middle of each alphabetic group as you go (rather than just the first title from each letter of the alphabet - this will minimize the average seek time as you scroll through the directory later). Note that you might want to add multiple entries under "T" if you have a lot of titles beginning with the word "The"...

You can then Go To your Index shelf at will (which automatically turns shelves on), back up one level and use the up/down arrows to quickly highlight the anchor title you wish to jump to, then just hit "Change View" -> "Hide Shelves". You'll find yourself sitting in a complete directory with the title you selected still at the cursor! A lot better than hitting the page forward button 200 times...

HTH,

Dave Huber

Contributor
Sycamoetree
0 Kudos

Classics

Fiction

True Stories

History

Current Events

Religion/Philosophy

Poetry

Civil War (only because I have specifically a lot of history on this era)

Biography

Humor

How to

Sciences

Reference

Psychology/Sociology

Photography