Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

Sharing Ebooks Help

Okay, it is great that there is the lend me option.  However, why is it only available on certain books!

My sister and I do this thing where she buys a book then I buy a book and we swap.  Or even my daughter will want to read it!  Come on that is what we all do with books.  But now Ebooks and how do you share if not lend me option and why can't I?  Yes I am having a fit like a toddler.

Apple allows you to share music/stuff on computers & devices with up to... 7 people I think.

I thought of swapping devices however....My daughter and sister are using Nook ap on Itouch and other is using PC.  I use my Nook and Droid phone.  I highly doubt they are ready to give up their pc or touch in order for me to read the book they got!  I feel there has to be a better way.

Thank you for help 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Re: Sharing Ebooks Help

[ Edited ]

MDandy wrote:

Okay, it is great that there is the lend me option.  However, why is it only available on certain books!

It's not B&N deciding that only certain books are "Lend Me."  That decision is left up to the publisher.

Here's recent thread with a fuller explanation and discussion of this:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/Lending-EBooks/m-p/661346/highlight/true...

If it matters, nobody else currently allows lending, although Kindle just announced that they plan to implement it very soon.  The lendable books will probably be the same across both platforms, as that is decided by the publishers.

Correspondent
iambrad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you go into the my account section of the B&N site and scroll down to the nook section there is a link to go to your nook library. From there you can download the books to your hard drive. You can then import them into whichever nook app you have.

so if your daughter wants to "borrow" a book, you can go on her computer and download it to her computer then import it into her nook app. You may need to enter the credit card info so that the nook can read the DRM, but after that it should be set.

From what I understand, the android app now allows sideloading so you would be able to transfer from a computer to your phone via USB.

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

I have no issue with figuring out how to sideload or download.  I can and have put it on my work computer, home computer, Nook and Droid.  Before Android Ap I had to sideload it onto my droid and had no issue. However, it is not working now or is it with these particular books its not or is it that these items are not going on a devise that is "mine" but daughers and sisters instead.

What I can't get it to do is actually operate on the other devices using the Nook ap.  It will be seen in Stanza or ibook when I sideload it.  Not being asked for credit card info just saying copyrighted.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

MDandy wrote:

I have no issue with figuring out how to sideload or download.  I can and have put it on my work computer, home computer, Nook and Droid.  Before Android Ap I had to sideload it onto my droid and had no issue. However, it is not working now or is it with these particular books its not or is it that these items are not going on a devise that is "mine" but daughers and sisters instead.

What I can't get it to do is actually operate on the other devices using the Nook ap.  It will be seen in Stanza or ibook when I sideload it.  Not being asked for credit card info just saying copyrighted.

I don't know about the ipod touch, but for the one using Nook for PC...

Put the book you want to share on her computer.  Open Nook for PC, click on "my stuff" under "my library", and then click "Add new item" at the top of the screen.  Once it's been added, you will need to enter your name and cc info to open the book.  Afterward, she should be able to add other books that have been encrypted with that cc info without entering it again.

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

Well after many tries I called B&N and have been informed apple products don't sideload like others do. Bummer.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

About using apple products: It is possible to sideload with a mac.  I did it once, it was stressful for me (but that could have been just me and technology).  But it is possible.

About sharing: Check on any of Doug_Pardee's posts or at the right side of this web page for directions on sharing with family members.  With his help my daughters and I share our books. We did have to use credit card numbers, but only once.

Good luck!