Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Shelving

On either nook, when I create a shelf and move some books there why don't they just go there instead of being in 2 places?

I wanted to declutter and it seems that even though it's organized to an extent...it's not.

Frequent Contributor
Jflin
0 Kudos

Re: Shelving

[ Edited ]

What worked for me:

Added book(s) to a shelf

Then saw that sorting was by shelf, then by book - An improvement, in my opinion

Then found an option to hide shelves - Allowing my "Library" shelf and "Reference" shelf to NOT show up (Leaving me only the ones I've yet to read) - Exactly what I was looking for (View, show shelves)

When I want to re-read a "Library" book, can get it back open without needing to un-archive it

Frequent Contributor
wrapunzel
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

I wanted to declutter and it seems that even though it's organized to an extent...it's not.

I agree.  Nice to have the option to organize books, but I think it could have been done more efficiently.  Oh, well...maybe next update!

Frequent Contributor
bilbravo
0 Kudos

When I "Hide Shelves" it just shows all of my books, sorted by recently read.  It does not hide the ones I put on shelves.

- Zach
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

bilbravo wrote:

When I "Hide Shelves" it just shows all of my books, sorted by recently read.  It does not hide the ones I put on shelves.

I have my books sorted by title, but hiding the shelves does the same thing -- puts me back to the list I had before the update.

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Frequent Contributor
bilbravo

[ Edited ]

Rasyr wrote:

bilbravo wrote:

I have my books sorted by title, but hiding the shelves does the same thing -- puts me back to the list I had before the update.

I think what the shelves does for us is what we want, albeit you have to change the way you were using the nook.  If you are like me, prior to the shelves you looked at the e-ink screen to pick the book you want.  However, with the new update you should turn your attention more to the LCD screen ... and use it to navigate to the library you want (B&N or My Documents), then to the shelve you want... THEN and only then should you look at the e-ink screen to select the book you want.

If you view the books on the e-ink screen before you are at the shelf you want--then you will get a somewhat organized list (by shelf, then title).  However, if you use the LCD screen as your navigation seem more organized.

I just thought of this, and when I think about it it actually makes me appreciate the shelving system a lot.  It is the same as what Kindle does, except that instead of displaying the shelves and drilling down into one of them on the e-ink screen you do it on the LCD, then look up the e-ink to pick your individual book.  The other books in other shelves are still displayed, but this moves your cursor to the first book in the shelf you picked to view.

I hope that my rambling makes sense to someone who can maybe explain it better.

- Zach
Correspondent
Rasyr
0 Kudos

Zach -- in another thread, I told somebody how to easily navigate to a specific shelve (I have close to 20 shelves for my 400+ books).

Personally, I would love that when you hide the shelves, the ONLY books you see are the unshelved ones.

And I would love that the touchpad method of navigating to a specific shelve only showed THAT shelf, and no others

The way it currently is you can view your book list in 2 ways...

1) No Shelves (currently "Hide Shelves") -- All books in your standard sorting order

2) By Shelves (currently "Show Shelves") -- All books sorted by Shelf (you decide the order of the shelves), and then by your standard sorting order

What we are essentially asking for is a third option

3) Hide Shelves -- hides all books on shelves and only shows not shelved

Now, I am not demanding anything - only saying that I would like to see more such organizing capabilities/tools in whatever future updates come along. :smileyhappy:

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Correspondent
eagleSB

I thought it was interesting that you can put one book in multiple shelves.  This supports the method of going into the shelf first.  You can put a dictionary into a refernce shelf and a frequently used shelf.  Depending on what you're doing, it can really help organize things to make it easier to use.

Contributor
mhibbs
0 Kudos

bilbravo wrote:

I think what the shelves does for us is what we want, albeit you have to change the way you were using the nook.  

It doesn't exactly do what I want at all which is to collapse books into folders.  It's cute that they are called "shelves" but they should have been folders.  You make a really good point about shifting your focus to the LCD...you have to do that for shelves to make much sense, but they still should have included an option to collapse the books into their shelves and they should have given you a default toggle of expanded or collapsed.  Hiding a shelf makes little sense but hiding books would have been useful.  I still really like my nook but wish they would focus on core reader functions rather than build games, apps, etc.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

eagleSB wrote:

I thought it was interesting that you can put one book in multiple shelves.  This supports the method of going into the shelf first.  You can put a dictionary into a refernce shelf and a frequently used shelf.  Depending on what you're doing, it can really help organize things to make it easier to use.

I think it's a pretty smart compromise between the folder model and the tagging model.  I would like to see an unshelved "shelf" so you could quickly get to the ones you haven't organized yet.

Correspondent
chefclaire
0 Kudos

Jflin wrote:

What worked for me:

Added book(s) to a shelf

Then saw that sorting was by shelf, then by book - An improvement, in my opinion

Then found an option to hide shelves - Allowing my "Library" shelf and "Reference" shelf to NOT show up (Leaving me only the ones I've yet to read) - Exactly what I was looking for (View, show shelves)

When I want to re-read a "Library" book, can get it back open without needing to un-archive it

I am not understanding what you have described- I do not see an option to hide individual shelves. 

Contributor
OliverSudden
0 Kudos

lkmiller wrote:

I would like to see an unshelved "shelf" so you could quickly get to the ones you haven't organized yet.

Me, too. I'm constantly looking for them at the front and end of the listing of those on the shelves.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@chedclaire,

There isn't an option to hide individual shelves, only "all shelves"

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Contributor
vizeroth
0 Kudos

I just had to add a "me too" message. I can worry about adding my books to multiple shelves when I've got most of them on a shelf. I wanted to clear the clutter, but after adding 100+ books to a shelf, I found the shelf only added to the clutter, and didn't allow me a way to get a look at the rest of the books.

Besides, my nook really doesn't seem to handle loading the full list of books very well, and making the list longer with the shelves visible isn't helping the very situation I was hoping to alleviate.

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC
0 Kudos

@lkmiller:

I agree.  My workaround was to create a shelf with only a couple of books on it and then to move that shelf in "Reorder shelves" to the end.  That way, I can "Go to shelf" to the very short shelf, and all of the unshelved books show up immediately after the two books on that shelf.

Not perfect, but it's better than creating an "Unshelved" shelf and then moving each one of my unshelved books to that shelf :smileywink:.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

lkmiller wrote:
I would like to see an unshelved "shelf" so you could quickly get to the ones you haven't organized yet.

I decided to do just that--create an "Unshelved" shelf which I ordered as my last shelf and will  never populate.  Now when I download a new book, I "go to"  my Unshelved shelf and immediately see my new downloads ready to be placed on the appropriate shelf :smileywink: .

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

lkmiller wrote:

I decided to do just that--create an "Unshelved" shelf which I ordered as my last shelf and will  never populate.  Now when I download a new book, I "go to"  my Unshelved shelf and immediately see my new downloads ready to be placed on the appropriate shelf :smileywink: .

Ah!  Good workaround.  Similar to what BrandieC suggested, but one step closer to what we want.  Thanks for posting.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

BrandieC wrote:

@lkmiller:

I agree.  My workaround was to create a shelf with only a couple of books on it and then to move that shelf in "Reorder shelves" to the end.  That way, I can "Go to shelf" to the very short shelf, and all of the unshelved books show up immediately after the two books on that shelf.

Not perfect, but it's better than creating an "Unshelved" shelf and then moving each one of my unshelved books to that shelf :smileywink:.

Well, I tried whiteginger's suggestion, but you do have to have at least one book on a shelf in order to go to it.  So your solution is the best we have for now.

Correspondent
vvlovesu
0 Kudos

@vizeroth

Maybe you could try reorganizing your 100+ shelves into smaller more specific shelves.

Reading isn't a "hobby". It's a lifestyle.