Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Taxandria
0 Kudos

Skipped Nook Color, went straight for the iPad

I picked up an iPad instead of a Nook Color. This little machine is so gorgeous and I'm tickled pink with it. Nook Color looked really pretty, but I couldn't justify spending so much on something smaller and more limited than an iPad. I played with a Nook Color in a B&N in NY and it seemed like it was trying to be a distant cousin of iPad. 

Just Read: The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Now: The Fall by Guillermo Del Toro and Chuck Hogan
Reading Next: ?
Frequent Contributor
Gus97
0 Kudos

Re: Skipped Nook Color, went straight for the iPad

Traitor.

Just kidding. :smileyhappy: The iPad and the nookColor - it's hard to make a decision, though I went for the latter. It's all up to you, I guess.

But you'd better download the nook app for iPad.

"If inspiration doesn't knock, build a door." -Milton Berle
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

To each his own.  My only question would be why didn't you wait until round about January when the iPad 2 is supposed to come out, complete with real USB port, camera, and other things?  Or perhaps they were having a sale.

Really, if the iPad is what you want that is great.  I would personally opt for a touchscreen laptop for more functionality and more features, but that is my preference.  My brother actually got a deal and got a laptop that came with a free netbook.  So he has choices for ereading.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
Anthony1970
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:

To each his own.  My only question would be why didn't you wait until round about January when the iPad 2 is supposed to come out, complete with real USB port, camera, and other things?  Or perhaps they were having a sale.

Really, if the iPad is what you want that is great.  I would personally opt for a touchscreen laptop for more functionality and more features, but that is my preference.  My brother actually got a deal and got a laptop that came with a free netbook.  So he has choices for ereading.

My guess is (based on previous posters not knowing about tech upgrades every six months to a year) Taxandria didnt know about the Ipad 2.

Good going Demmure now Taxandria is going to want an upgrade from apple. :smileywink: LOL

Correspondent
g0tr00t
0 Kudos

That is the wonderful world of options. This nook cokor to me is a dream. My android phone serves as its wifi hotspot, so I am always connected without the charge. I am an Android junkie and just love tying my devices together and letting them breathe. The nook color has SO much more potential once B&N let's it breathe. The next few weeks should be an interesting roller coaster.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

The iPad is a great device, but very subpar for reading. It's simply too large and heavy for any extended period of reading, in my opinion.

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

Taxandria wrote:

I picked up an iPad instead of a Nook Color. This little machine is so gorgeous and I'm tickled pink with it. Nook Color looked really pretty, but I couldn't justify spending so much on something smaller and more limited than an iPad. I played with a Nook Color in a B&N in NY and it seemed like it was trying to be a distant cousin of iPad. 

Couldn't justify spending so much on it???? The NOOKColor is $249 ... the cheapest iPad is $499, and that is with 16gb of storage which is not expandable. The NOOKColor can take up to a 32gb MicroSD card. 

They are two different devices meant for two different audiences. If you really wanted a tablet to read on occasionally, then I guess the iPad would be ok. It is pretty heavy, and reading for any length of time would be tiresome. However, as someone pointed out, Apple will be coming out with the next generation of the iPad shortly which should address the shortcomings of the current one. If it had been me, I would have waited for the next release, especially considering how expensive the iPad is.

As they say, different strokes .... hope you enjoy your iPad.

Frequent Contributor
hollygNJ
0 Kudos

And don't you need a monthly data package for the ipad? And it's not cheap for that, either.

Holly

Frequent Contributor
RebelsLGB
0 Kudos

hollygNJ wrote:

And don't you need a monthly data package for the ipad? And it's not cheap for that, either.

Holly

only if you get the wifi & 3G ipad.  The wifi only is just that...wifi only.

Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

When I purchased my classic nook at best buy, the sales guy tried really hard to sell me an Ipad.He didn't even want to stop at the nook display. Maybe that happened to the op too.

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin

Wordsmith
jeanniepep
0 Kudos

When the iPad came out, I wanted one too!  It was just gorgeous but too expensive for me.  The Nook Color is just perfect for my needs cuz it does all the things I would actually use regularly after getting over the fireworks of the iPad.  I just want to read books and magazines, go online a little, play an idle game of Sudoku when I'm bored, and occasionally watch a movie when stuck on a long flight.  Mainly the books & magazines though!  My gaming and multimedia needs are pretty minimal.

Correspondent
julianka
0 Kudos

I have both.  The ipad can certainly do more, but as an ereader it's just too dang big.  I really don't know why Apple made it this size instead of a more standard tablet sized like 7 inches or whatever.  Then it might be kind of perfect.  It is great for watching movies and web browsing, though.