Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Sanibel247
0 Kudos

Some Questions about the Nook....

I was thinking about getting a Nook, but I had a few questions. I know that the regular Nook you can read in sunlight, but can you read the NookColor in the sunlight? I was also wondering about being on the beach....would the wifi work or would you need the wifi with 3G? Would you recommend the Nook or NookColor?

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Re: Some Questions about the Nook....

Sanibel247 wrote:

I was thinking about getting a Nook, but I had a few questions. I know that the regular Nook you can read in sunlight, but can you read the NookColor in the sunlight? I was also wondering about being on the beach....would the wifi work or would you need the wifi with 3G? Would you recommend the Nook or NookColor?

The NookColor is based on LCD technology so it's tough to read in bright sunlight.  On the beach you won't get WiFi access so you'd have to use 3G to contact B&N to buy books.

I really enjoy my Nook Classic but I use it for books only.  If you want to look at pretty pictures I recommend a NookColor.

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell
0 Kudos

If you primarily read standard books for long stretches and want to read outside, I'd get the Nook classic (for which, incidentally, you need a book light to read at night). It's just like reading print on a page in almost every regard.

If you want magazines and other more visual/dynamic content and don't mind a glowing screen (which, of course is actually handy at night), get the Nook Color.

Contributor
Sanibel247
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help!

Is it weird not actually turning pages on an actual book when you read? I think that would be hard to get used to.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Also, keep in mind that there is no 3G version of the Nook color.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Sanibel247 wrote:

Is it weird not actually turning pages on an actual book when you read? I think that would be hard to get used to.

I use the swipe motion rather than the page turning buttons most of the time.

It's not weird.  I wondered this too.  It took less than one novel to get used to it, and to be honest, I find it irritating to read a "real book", now.  I recently got two "real books" from the library and while I finished them both quickly, having to hold them open and use two hand occasionally, and have it flip closed when I set it down to scold the JRT was such a nuisance.

I realize that sounds extremely silly, shallow, self-absorbed - but honestly, I'll never voluntarily read DTBs (dead tree books) again.  :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
Sanibel247
0 Kudos

i understand :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Mosier42
0 Kudos

I have both the NookColor and the 3G Classic Nook and love them equally. If you do a lot of outdoor reading I would sugget the classic, although the Color isn't too bad outside (especially with an anti-glare screen cover). The Color however is a bit more versatile with a really good web browser as well as th upcoming app store. Magazines on the color are also phenomenal. Given all the plusses of the Color, I still prefer the Classic Nook for reading books. The screen looks like paper and is much more pleasing for reading numerous pages.
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Sanibel247 wrote:

I use the swipe motion rather than the page turning buttons most of the time.

It's not weird.  I wondered this too.  It took less than one novel to get used to it, and to be honest, I find it irritating to read a "real book", now.  I recently got two "real books" from the library and while I finished them both quickly, having to hold them open and use two hand occasionally, and have it flip closed when I set it down to scold the JRT was such a nuisance.

I realize that sounds extremely silly, shallow, self-absorbed - but honestly, I'll never voluntarily read DTBs (dead tree books) again.  :smileyvery-happy:

I feel the same way.  Using the "swipe" method makes reading much easier and more fun.  At first it was tough to do but now its second nature to me.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook

Sanibel,

I may be way over thinking one of your comments, but I just want to make sure you are clear about something.  when you said:  I was also wondering about being on the beach....would the wifi work or would you need the wifi with 3G?

Please note, when you are reading books they are already loaded onto your Nook.  You only need to connect to actually get the books onto the Nook.  If you (at home or somewhere else with WiFi) bought 10-12 books (or whatever amount) and got them loaded, then when you are actually on the beach you are good to go. 

My post may be stupid, I just didn't want you thinking you were actually connecting while on the beach like the internet and had to constantly be in contact with B&N or something.

if you have a constant enough access to wifi (I do for example) then that is all you need usually.

jamartMF
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook good catch.  This is just the kind of thing that a customer service person might miss and, I might say, I can understand why they would.  Then someone comes here and says "They told me so." 

Contributor
Sanibel247
0 Kudos

RSC_Nook....thank you! That is exactly what I was wondering about! I wasn't sure if you needed the internet to read the books.

New User
FLFemale
0 Kudos

RSC,

I am also looking at getting the nook classic.  I have heard that you can get books on loan from Librarys.  Have you or anyone else out there had any issues with this and where can I find info on it?

Thanks for any help.

Lisa

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FLFemale: the only issues that people have are 1) their particular library doesn't have e-books to loan and their state doesn't let them get library cards at other libraries, and 2) fumbling through getting Adobe Digital Editions set up and their NOOK authorized. For (1), there's always the Free Library of Philadelphia for $15 a year. For (2), there are some excellent postings here about how to set up and use Adobe Digital Editions. My advice: don't tackle ADE without instructions.

For more information, including finding out which libraries in your area carry e-books and what they carry, go to search.overdrive.com

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

FLFemale,

Doug beat me to the punch, but he is right, there are tons of great thread already about borrowing books from the library

I have only had my nook classic for about a month now, but I have already gone to my library and reserved, checked out and loaded a few books.

It was kind of a follow the steps in the right order exercise, and took a bit to figure out how to set up but once I did and know it is super easy going forward.

instead of rehashing what has been typed follow the great links above and come back if you have any specific questions. 

New User
beckster321
0 Kudos

I have to say...I absolutely love my Nook Color.  I bought the Nook 3G first; however, because I do almost all of my reading at night I returned it and bought the Nook Color.  It is so convenient not having to install a book light to read in the dark and daytime reading is not bad either.  Overall, I have been very impressed with the Nook Color.  With that said...if you do most of your reading during the day, I would go with the Nook 3G.

Contributor
Sanibel247
0 Kudos

Do you need a book light for night reading if you have the classic Nook?

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

yes, you need a light.  think of the nook classic as exactly like a real book in regards to light.

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Sanibel247 wrote:

Do you need a book light for night reading if you have the classic Nook?

I don't use a book light.  I have a small lamp on my night stand that gives off sufficient light for me.

Frequent Contributor
edhoel
0 Kudos

Sanibel247 wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Takes about 10 seconds:smileyhappy: