Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief

Sorting Annoyance

[ Edited ]

I searched for Sort and maybe I didn't look enough, so if this has been brought up before, please accept my apologies.

Does it annoy anyone else that the B&N Library doesn't have a smart sort?  What I mean is that if a book starts with A or The, it sorts under the A's or the T's, rather than skipping to the first letter of the first word.  To me, The Book Thief should sort under B (for book), not T (for the).  A Reliable Wife should sort under R, not A.

My ipod does this, and I really like that.  I find I have tons of books under T because so many start with The. 

I would love to see this addressed in an update.  Does anyone else find this setup annoying?

Having said that, I absolutely LOVE my nook.  I've had mine since Christmas Eve and I can say I've read it every day.  I can't say I use every other piece of tech I have like that- not even my phone.  I even bought my 11 YO son one for his 6th grade promotion and he's in love with it too.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Reader 2
MyNameIsAwesome
0 Kudos

Re: Sorting Annoyance

I agree.

I would also like to see a folder system added for both music and ebooks. I would like to categorize my books by Genre or Series instead of having to search through all my books to find one I want to read.

Scribe
lkmiller

Yes, this is a big pet peeve of mine!  Especially because I have some books that start with A, An, or The which sort as they should by the 2nd word and some which don't.  So I can never remember whether to look under A, T or the actual word it should sort by.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

The B&N search and organizations formats have always been a little...'interesting'...:smileywink:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Inspired Contributor
Fantolay
0 Kudos

Agreed. I love my Nook, but hope this is fixed in a future update.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

File organization on the actual nook is probably the #1 request for the next big update. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ gqb,

Maybe because it's been on the back burner since the first update :smileysad: 

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

Thanks, Michael!  Suggesting added to that thread.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .