Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

Stand for Nook

I was at the coffee shop getting tired of holding my nook. setting it flat on the table gave my a cric in my neck. I noticed a plate stand and grabbed it off the counter. worked great.

went shoppin and found a flat metal folding plate stand. It fits in my carry case and works great for reading while seated at a table. I have also been able to rest it on my chest when lying in bed.

I added some shrink wrap on the top and glued rubber onto the rails to keep the nook from sliding. Put rubber on the base to keep the stand from sliding as well.

total investment  $10

I'll post pics later if anyone is interested

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Re: Stand for Nook

Send a pic. I'd be interested to see what your contraption looks like.

Inspired Contributor
MBenner
0 Kudos

yeah lets see some pics!!

To read is to know the Nook, and to read the Nook is to know...Quiet what you know depends upon your Nook. - Darkkin
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I'd also like to see a picture.

I *think* I know what you bought and can picture it, but I'd love to see it in action before I go searching one out.  

phoneboy
0 Kudos

No camera where Im at. I'll be home later today and post pics tonight.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

The Bookgem is also a nice, collapse books stand.  bookgem.com.  It is $14.95 for, $12.95 ea for two, with more quantity discounts.  It folds flat for carrying with you.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

I chkd out sev book stands. Trbl is I needed 1 that was thin when folded so it wold fit in the bag with the nook and not have any damaging potrusions. The one I rigged up is kinda ruff but does what I want.

I am keeping my eye out for a smaller version of this one

I used some crossconnect wire to keep the legs from moving to far apart. I plan on replacing with some small chain.

Works great as is but as with everything else I mess with, It needs improvement.

Just noticed I cant atttach pics from my hard drive

Guess I need to get on an image host site to post pics. : (

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

phoneboy wrote:

I chkd out sev book stands. Trbl is I needed 1 that was thin when folded so it wold fit in the bag with the nook and not have any damaging potrusions. The one I rigged up is kinda ruff but does what I want.

The bookgem is 1/2" thick.  It doesn't have any damaging protrusions.  It's about 5-1/2" by 2-1/2" x 1/2".  You can clip it to the bottom of the book or Nook to stand it mostly upright or to the top which puts it at more of an incline.  This can be useful for reading in bed.

Just thought I'd point this out as I'm very happy with it, it fits in m purse with my Nook without a problem. I also thinking it would fit in a larger, softsided eyeglass case.  I've seen some a craft shows that are quilted that would probably work quite nicely with it.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I would say thats the way to go.

I like to fabricate things. Keeps me from gettting bored.  : )

When all is said n done I will probably order a Bookgem  lol

phoneboy

Links to Pics..

http://img251.imageshack.us/i/nookstandfnt.jpg/

http://img580.imageshack.us/i/nookside.jpg/

http://img255.imageshack.us/i/nookstandfolded.jpg/

Gave up trying to embed them.. :smileymad:

Correspondent
growlingraven
0 Kudos

Nifty looking contraption!  Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

Me, I use a Kleenex box, for reason there's always one around me at work or at home.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reminder about bookgem.  I had seen it before on the boards and wanted to order for me and my girls for stocking stuffers.  I just ordered them and for 3 it was $11.95 each and if you order 4, you get one free.

phoneboy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Update...

Turns out my GFs sister and niece have kindles. She ordered 4 Bookgems(love the Buy 3 get 1 free) 1 for me, 1 for my daughter, 1 for her sister n 1 for her niece

Still gonna look for the next size smaller of the plate stand. always good to have a backup right?

:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Nifty!

As a chef's wife, I've already got a few of those.  Every holiday we get food or cooking-related gifts, some more useful than others...  Now the plate holders have become useful - I just have to figure out where we unpacked them to *this* time.  :smileytongue:

Inspired Correspondent
reader_824

phoneboy...love your invention. I have one of those easel things around here somewhere and it'll work well...though I've got to check out the url listed to buy a commercial one, too.  Can't let some new gadget go unpurchased!:smileyvery-happy:

phoneboy
0 Kudos

I feel your pain on the "where did we pack them"   Ya_Ya   :smileysad:

Reader 824:  Here is the link. http://www.bookgem.com/

You can get it from Amazon but I found that you have to go thru the bookgem site to get the multi unit discount automatically

Correspondent
g0tr00t

I figured I could stick it to my head for storage :smileyvery-happy:

http://gadgetsin.com/awesome-free-iplunge-ipad-stand.htm

Frequent Contributor
nookpj
0 Kudos

What a great home-made gizmo.  A Nook easel is now on my wish list.  Nature truly abhors a vacuum - first we buy our gadgets, then we rush out to buy our gadgets their own accessories.  I'll have to make space in my room for a nook for my Nook and its toys.  And I hoped my Nook would declutter my bookshelves.  Guess not.  :smileywink:

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

very cool idea.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo