Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Still no way to list notes/highlights?

I'm asking this question in a new thread because I feel I simply must be missing something. Is there still actually no way to list all of the notes/highlights in a book? Really, there must be and I must be missing it, because notes and highlights are essentially worthless as they are. What am I supposed to do, write down notes and highlights in an off-nook list so I know where I've made them?

Of all the things on the nook, this is the one that seems so poorly done as to make the feature actually a detriment. If I'm reading a 1000-page book and making notes and highlights as I go along, then I'm bound to lose them. I'm certainly not going to go back through the book, page by page, looking for notes and highlights. Am I?

So somebody, please tell me I'm an idiot and that I'm missing the "list all notes/highlights" option somewhere on the nook.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Still no way to list notes/highlights?

Nope.  You're not missing anything - it's not there.

B&N is ignoring us and trying to distract us from their failures with games.

Inspired Contributor
wynand32
0 Kudos

Well, then, I suppose I'll have to keep using one of my other devices for reading serious books. Which is a real disappointment, and one that I hope B&N will rectify soon.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Just a though, maybe try asking this at nookdevs.  They are developers and may have looked into this.  Maybe there is some difficulty to doing this?????  I basically just read novels so I have no need for notes but it would be nice to get this addressed just to make it a better device for more people.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Frequent Contributor
QuiteTheCharacter
0 Kudos

I'm with you on this one.. The notes and highlights features could use a few improvements.

1. A way to list all notes and highlights (including page numbers containing them and ways to link from the list to the page and back to the list)

2. A "Go to next/previous highlight" feature, so while you're on a page, you can just jump to the next highlight in the book, regardless whether it's on the same page, or 100 pages later.

- BTW, this would also be good for the bookmarks as well, instead of returning to the list all the time.

Inspired Correspondent
Phigment
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mandroid wrote:

Just a though, maybe try asking this at nookdevs.  They are developers and may have looked into this.  Maybe there is some difficulty to doing this?????  I basically just read novels so I have no need for notes but it would be nice to get this addressed just to make it a better device for more people.

So, (for the sake of argument) try and book mark the same page as the note/hightlight is on? I haven't used the bookmark, since I read 1 book at a time. Is it possible to jump from bookmark to bookmark, or are they so wierdly named that it's hard to figure out which book mark goes where? it *might* be a work around, granted not a good one but it might work.

Edit: Ok i just read Quitethecharacters post ... ok looks like using bookmarks wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Frequent Contributor
AnacondaCamp
0 Kudos

While I agree that there are some things that B&N missed, I do think that they did a pretty decent job with this update.

Now, as a taker of notes and highlighting, it is imperative that B&N try to find a work around and let us be able to easily find our highlights and notes WITHOUHT having to go through every single page in the book. Better yet, make it so we can find all notes and highlights across all the books in the same manner.

If we keep "reminding" them of the need for this feature, we might finally be heard. Don't give up!

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
bmoonstruck
0 Kudos

I honestly chose the nook over other ereaders because it ran off of android, the fact that B&N chose this indicates that they know that they are going to need to continually update in order to keep its product competitive in our tech loving society.

That said, I almost didn't buy it because I didn't think it had Highlighting options. When I looked up the manual and saw that it did my mind was made up. I am extremly disappointed by this feature though, they NEED to make it more functional. What I would like to see is them making a list of all highlights and notes you make in a given book, referenced with page number and a jump to location place. ( I could be missing this feature, it is possible that my lack of tech savviness has just made me not see this) Either way while they did address some issues with this new update, the most visible things seem to be nook trying to act as a  multifunction device to compete a little with ipad.

Contributor
silbi
0 Kudos

Wow..it's so good to know that I am not alone in this fight! I just can't believe the so few complaints about notes and highlights! This is such an obvious missing feature--by the way, I agree: it seems so easy to implement it!

I have just posted a message on the discussion board about the update, but I think my post got lost among the several other issues being discussed there. So I am going to repeat it: Note/highlight features such as Kindle's seem to me such an obvious way ereaders can potentialize regular paper reading experience. I mean, wouldn't it be nice to make notes and highlights on paper and have them organized and transferred to your computer when you needed them? Well, nook could do that, but it doesn't. 

The first and only time I made notes with my nook, it took me forever to do it. When I thought it had been worth the wait, I couldn't believe it: the notes are stuck on each page, and you have to go back to the menu each time in order to see the next note (if you change the page without going back and pressing "see notes for this page", the previous note will stay there...no comments). In sum: better rely on the god and old pencil and paper. 

Unfortunately, considering the current state of things, kindle offers much more to readers that need or want to work with their books; that is, people who were expecting an electronic device to either equal or enhance their paper reading experience.  If you're an academic, consider buying kindle; if you are used to read books for entertainment purposes only, and want features that an iphone can offer, buy a nook. 

B&N, we know you can make our Nooks even better: please, improve your notes/highlights features!

p.s.: it is sad to realize that a bookstore made an electronic device in order to compete with the tons of hot multi-task devices in the market. My first shot was that they would target book-lovers, not want-all consumers. Isn't it curious that a global all-selling store like Amazon is the one that is actually trying to make their device work to an specific market--the editorial? 

New User
cbrynt
0 Kudos

Even with the last update my nooks notes and highlights still doesn't work right. Very disappoining. I think I'll sell and go kindle of they don't figure it out. It's been months.

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

cbrynt wrote:

Even with the last update my nooks notes and highlights still doesn't work right. Very disappoining. I think I'll sell and go kindle of they don't figure it out. It's been months.

What do you mean by "right"? do you mean that they don't work the way that Barnes & Noble advertises that they work, or that they don't work in some way that you want them to work but which is just not a feature of them at this time (and which B&N never advertised that they would work)?  
I'd like more functionality too, but there's a big difference between not liking what B&N advertised as selling and B&N selling a product that doesn't do what they said it would do. 
(and don't get me wrong - with the original software, B&N was pretty much failing on the former, but with the latest update, they've now pretty much got the product that they advertised).  
New User
cbrynt
0 Kudos

Oops.  DOWNLOADING 1.3

Frequent Contributor
Shrew
0 Kudos

They did do some work on the highlighting, because it looks different now when your adding them.  Before this upgrade, my highlights only worked once in a while, and now they work all the time.  I even tried a few of the ones that wouldn't work before, and they work now.

I think we just need to keep asking for the highlights to be listed like the bookmarks so they know we want it, and we will get it.  For now I just bookmark the page I highlight because the bookmarks are listed by page number.

Not that this is the same thing, but just food for thought.  Where I work, when they implement a new system there is always a large list of complaints, and lots of meetings to make wish lists of what people want for phase 2, 3 and so on.  Some things can be obtained in phase 2, but other things have to wait for phase 3 or 4.  People get upset because they want everything in phase 2, and some of these things seem simple enough so they complain and say these things should be easy enough to quickly add.  Maybe they are, but that's not always the only factor.  We just need to make sure Barnes & Noble know what we want, and as the upgrades are developed, it will happen.  :smileyvery-happy:

~ Pam
http://smiling-raindrops.blogspot.com
New User
ToddHutch
0 Kudos

For everyone's information, the earlier versions of nook had the feature of listing highlights out like an index, you could tap the highlights and they would go to where it was highlighted. Very functional. It's gone now, as I've just noticed when I went back in to review a marketing book I highlighted in 2009/2010. Nook programmers, Please at least give us a way to see a list of the highlights. I will sreen print the list, then I will gracefully go away from using a Nook if BN intend on not having the highlight function of old any more. Wow, feature removal, must have cut back on the programming staff. -Todd
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

ToddHutch wrote:
For everyone's information, the earlier versions of nook had the feature of listing highlights out like an index, you could tap the highlights and they would go to where it was highlighted. Very functional. It's gone now, as I've just noticed when I went back in to review a marketing book I highlighted in 2009/2010. Nook programmers, Please at least give us a way to see a list of the highlights. I will sreen print the list, then I will gracefully go away from using a Nook if BN intend on not having the highlight function of old any more. Wow, feature removal, must have cut back on the programming staff. -Todd

I still have this.  Are you sure you're looking in the right place?