Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
LMHLL
0 Kudos

Stolen Nook

My Nook was stolen from work yesterday! I called CS and was told that they would "Blacklist" my nook so that it is useless to anyone that has it. I was told that they could not even use the games! I like that! Whoever has it now has a paperweight! I was told if I "find" it all I need to do is call and they will UN-Blacklist my nook. I was advised to change my password online as well. I feel a little better knowing that the person that took it can't use it but I MISS MY NOOK !!!

Frequent Contributor
AnacondaCamp

Re: Stolen Nook

So sorry to hear that. It must be truly frustrating to not have your NOOK. Kinda' like a drug, eh? :smileywink:

That said, I'm glad that B&N has locked it, rendering it useless to the thief and keeps it from dinging your credit card. Hopefully you will get it back. If not, hopefully it won't take too long to save up for another one.

I for one would start up a collection for you, but with my unemployed budget, I've not got that much to contribute.:smileymad:

Best of luck!

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@LMHLL

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Sorry that your first post was such bad news.  I hope that, as soon as the thief realizes that your Nook is no good to him/her, it gets put somewhere where you can retrieve it.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

LMHLL wrote:

My Nook was stolen from work yesterday! I called CS and was told that they would "Blacklist" my nook so that it is useless to anyone that has it. I was told that they could not even use the games! I like that! Whoever has it now has a paperweight! I was told if I "find" it all I need to do is call and they will UN-Blacklist my nook. I was advised to change my password online as well. I feel a little better knowing that the person that took it can't use it but I MISS MY NOOK !!!

While I hope what the CS person told you is true, I have to be honest and not believe that.  They can certainly un-register that specific nook, so whoever has it, can't buy books on YOUR account.    And unregistering it, will cause the B&N library to empty....it won't do a thing to any books you have added in your documents area.   B&N could have the serial number put in a list so whoever has it can't open a new account with it....but they'd probably need a police report to do that.   I do NOT know what their policy is on that.

However, I am not aware of any mechanism to totally disable the device over 3G or WiFi.   Now, that certainly doesn't mean such a mechanism doesn't exist...it may well exist, but if it does exist, there could be some serious liability issues on B&N's part if someone's nook was "bricked" by accident.   

And, of course, if the thief keeps it in airplane mode, nothing will happen.   

The vast majority of electonic devices like your nook are stolen to be re-sold either at a pawn shop or via eBay.   Make sure you report the theft to the police that cover the location it was stolen from.    Include the serial number....that way, if someone does pawn it, it *should* show up on the police's pawned item list.    Obviously, that presumes the pawn shop is run honestly too.

---------
Don
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

What a total bummer! I am so sorry for your loss. I would be devastated if someone stole Nookie. I really dislike thieves. Fear of having it stolen is one of the reason I almost never bring mine to work. I bring DTB's to work with me instead.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

My original NOOK was stolen back in November.  I also called CS to report it and they did say that they blacklisted it.  I quickly turned around and bought a refurb one from B&N's ebay site.

smiller492

You should file a theft report with the police department that handles there area where you work (where the theft occurred).  Make sure that you have the serial number so the Nook can be entered into the system as stolen property and they will also be notified if it is pawned.  There is also a new system that police officers are using (at least in Ohio) where they can troll eBay for stolen items.  I haven't had the chance to use it, but my department has closed one case with it.  There's no guarantees, but it's better than doing nothing.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

LMHLL, that's a devastating feeling inside when you discover something that you treasure was stolen.  On a positive note, I'm glad that Barnes and Noble blacklisted the stolen device. 

And I hope the most frightening face imaginable will appear on the screen of the stolen Nook and the thief will be haunted with it.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb

Did you get a ransom note?

You might consider putting up a sign at work and let them know that (hopefully) the nook was blacklisted and will be of no use to them.  Arrange for a place for it to be left.

I hate to see someone get away with it, but they're going to anyway.

KennaS
0 Kudos

Or better yet wouldnt it be nice if when they lock it they put a message on the screen asking them to drop this "misplaced property" In the mail and it will be returned to customer service, no questions asked. Then customer service could check the serial number and get it back to the appropriate person. 

God changes appearances every second. Blessed is the man who can recognize him in all his disguises. One moment he is a glass of fresh water, the next, your son bouncing on your knees or an enchanting woman, or perhaps merely a morning walk.-Nikos Kazantzakis
New User
Delldp
0 Kudos

Re: How to find out if a Nook is Stolen

Does anyone know the procedure for checking if a Nook has
been Stolen/Blacklisted? I am looking at buying a Nook from a user. I read some
articles that a lot of the eReaders offered for sale by owner are stolen.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Delldp wrote:

I am not sure that I believe that a stolen Nook can be blacklisted and "rendered useless."  You could ask the person selling it to produce the receipt of purchase.  Personally I'd buy a refurb before buying one from someone I don't know.

New User
Delldp
0 Kudos

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I'll have to look into a referb unit. With the Kindle, Amazon will blacklist a unit if the owner calls in.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

Delldp wrote:

I am not sure that I believe that a stolen Nook can be blacklisted and "rendered useless."  You could ask the person selling it to produce the receipt of purchase.  Personally I'd buy a refurb before buying one from someone I don't know.

They should be able to flag the serial number and not let it be registered.  Wouldn't stop someone from sideloading everything, but would stop from registering and purchasing direct from B&N.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

They should be able to flag the serial number and not let it be registered.  Wouldn't stop someone from sideloading everything, but would stop from registering and purchasing direct from B&N

Yes, they should be able to record it as stolen.  A lot of companies do this (Dell being a one) if product is reported stolen or is lost in shipping.  If anyone tries to register it or get any type of service for it under warranty with the vendor they will get all the info they can from the "owner" then contact the police with the information.

New User
anniemlr

My Nook was stolen.  I also called and it was blacklisted.  The thief continued to use my Nook to make purchases.  Don't believe it!  Blacklisting only means the Nook cannot be newly or reregistered.  If it is currently registered it will be able to use your account until you close y our account.  When you close your account you will lose all of your library that is stored there. Another thing, I also changed my Netflix password, but the Nook was able to continue to access without the new password.  Be careful not to lose your Nook, once it is connected, the only way to disconnect it is to use the Nook itself.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

According to what I see on the "My Nook" site, under "Manage My Nook", hovering the pointer over the image of each of my Nooks brings up information (serial number) and links to:

1. Erase & Deregister
  2. Lock Device & Reset Passcode
  3. Manage Payment Settings

If I understand these, you would have been able to remotely deregister the device, and then maybe lock it. And maybe invalidate the charge card (not sure about this)

Baron Wulfraed
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

According to what I see on the "My Nook" site, under "Manage My Nook", hovering the pointer over the image of each of my Nooks brings up information (serial number) and links to:

1. Erase & Deregister
  2. Lock Device & Reset Passcode
  3. Manage Payment Settings

If I understand these, you would have been able to remotely deregister the device, and then maybe lock it. And maybe invalidate the charge card (not sure about this)

Try clicking on "Erase & Deregister";  it tells you to do it on the device.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I eleven it also says if you don't have access to the device, call CS. From what I recall, others have been able to get the device unregistered. I'd also remove the cc from the account for now and possibly change my email address on the account, at least temporarily.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
.... From what I recall, others have been able to get the device unregistered.

Yes, it is absolutely trivial for a thief to unregister a Nook, in which case it can easily be re-registered.  However, crooks usually do a factory reset instead, which makes the re-registration much more difficult.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.