Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

Stupid Oprah

Well, maybe calling her stupid is harsh but apparently she is going to feature the Kindle, again, on her show on Monday.

I understand that everyone has their own preferences about products - and there's nothing wrong with that - but I wonder if she's even tried another ereader, such as the Nook :smileywink:, or if she just touts the Kindle because that's the one she's shilled in the past.

Again, it's fine if she likes Kindle best but when someone like her who has an extraordinarily massive hoard of followers pushes a product many will (mindlessly?) follow her recommendation without even having the benefit of a comparison.

Oh well, she's Oprah and can do what she wants. I'll just pout about sour grapes even though it doesn't directly affect my life in any way. :smileysad:

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Re: Stupid Oprah

Your thread title seems redundant.  Just saying

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Ellen isn't Oprah, but she gave everyone in her audience (yesterday?) a NOOKColor. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats

You know, I've always liked Ellen :smileyhappy:.

Frequent Contributor
sewingladyNJ
0 Kudos

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Your thread title seems redundant.  Just saying

haha, have to laugh at that :/

Frequent Contributor
sewingladyNJ
0 Kudos

Conniecats wrote:

You know, I've always liked Ellen :smileyhappy:.

Go Ellen!

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

She's had Amazon's CEO on a number of times, and he's given money to her pet causes.

P.S. I recall reading awhile back Ellen was catching up to O in ratings.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And Ellen is set to be the new Queen of Talk when the big O finishes this, her final, season.

Contributor
nairtseuqe
0 Kudos

It may not be a nook she's featuring, but any time anyone features an ereader, I would bet the sales of ALL ereaders go up.  I originally started looking at ereaders when Amazon introduced the Kindle 3.  I saw an add for it somewhere online and thought "Hey!  I could actually afford that".  That add then led me to research ereaders and to eventually buy a Nook classic.  I probably would have been happy with a kindle, but there are many features that I liked better about the nook. 

Just saying, seeing the Kindle on Oprah may just lead a lot more people to investigate ereaders, and then demand more ebooks.  More ebooks and a larger market is better for all of us :smileyvery-happy:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

My limited experience with "Oprah people" is that they will do whatever they are told and not necessarily investigate anything.  "QVC people" seem to be of a similar type.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

LOL

Go Ellen

New User
chiconthego
0 Kudos

Did you ever think that Oprah maybe owns a major amount of stock in amazon/kindle?

Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Frankly, these gimme's are probably not really based on Oprah's (or Ellen's or anyone else's) preferences.  These items, IMHO, are who will belly up to the bar first (kind of like blackmail, if you ask me).  I know Oprah carries a lot of influience, but I do believe that the manufacturer's all grovel at her feet to get on that giveaway show.

Zola

Correspondent
MrToy

Kindle is a solid product. It doesn't suit me mailnly because of its proprietary book format, but that's just my personal preference. Otherwise, Kindle is a well designed and quality product, and I admire its engineering. Endorsing Kindle doesn't make anyone stupid.

Judging others, however....

Frequent Contributor
Nancy_TumblingBooks
0 Kudos

Ellen > Oprah

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends."

Visit my YA blog: http://shethebookgeek.blogspot.com
Contributor
geishagirl2009
0 Kudos

Why are you calling her names? Do you have stock in B&N? So she prefers the Kindle. I have a nookcolor but was about to get the kindle when the pedophile thing came out. Yet I still kept the kindle app on itouch and computer and has gotten books from amazon that were free and not free at b&n. It's a good product. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

MrToy wrote:

. . . Endorsing Kindle doesn't make anyone stupid.

Judging others, however....

Seconded!

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Frequent Contributor
RebelsLGB

Her giveaways are provided by the companies that make them.  On her favorite things show she gave away ipads, and said that she did all of her reading on the ipad.  I love oprah, but it's really just a form of advertising for the companies, they realize anything Oprah touches will do well, so they give a few hundred of them away to her audience and in return make millions of people want the product because Oprah endorsed it.

Distinguished Correspondent
Globaltech
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pure advertising with product provided by amazon.

The company who cares about safety, but made their employees wait 2 hours outside last night in 35 degree weather, some without coats due to a fire alarm.  The building was cleared for reentry within an hour but due to mismanagement, they refused to let employees back in the building without going thru a metal detector (as if people who stole stuff would bring it back in the building that they took exiting the emergency exits).

People were dropping like flies from exposure and the company who cares about safety, didn't give a tit's ass.  The police had to force them to begin letting people back in.

There are laws to protect pets from that kind of abuse.  Too bad amazon employees are treated with less respect than animals.

+++++++++++++++++++
¡sʞooq ɹǝʎ ,uıןɐǝʇs sɯnɹoɟ ǝɥʇ uı ǝɹɐ sǝʇɐɹıd ¡sǝou ɥo
Frequent Contributor
hollygNJ
0 Kudos

Is it true? Did you hear it from more than one source?

Just curious, cos it sure don't seem legal.