Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ElleyKat

Suggested Improvements For V 1.5

I know software version 1.4 just came out, but I'm already thinking of things to make the nook even BETTER!

With the up to 16 GB expansion slot, what the Nook really, REALLY needs is a search tool that lets you search your book titles in your personal library. I have several hundred ebooks on my nook, and if I want to read Wuthering Heights I find myself paging through hundreds of ebooks. A search function would let you easily find the exact book you're looking for.

Another helpful tool would be to enable searching by category or tags - I use Calibre to organize my ebooks, and each of my books are tagged with multiple tags. It would be nice to be able to search, for examply, all ebooks tagged with "vampires" to find what I'm looking for.

In summary:

* Search function for my docs

* Tagging fuction

What do you want to see in the next software update? (I will say, I got a nook really early on, and I almost really regretted my decision because there was no way to bookmark your page! Thankfully, they fixed that early on!!)

Frequent Contributor
PocketGoddess

Re: Suggested Improvements For V 1.5

I only have one desire for my nook--better organization.

Whether that's recognizing folders on the memory card or coming up with a tag system or something of that ilk, I don't really care. I'm not picky, just need some better way to organize my hundreds and hundreds of ebooks!

Something that magically works with Calibre would be swell, but did I mention that I'm not picky?

Frequent Contributor
kritter217
0 Kudos

I am STILL waiting for Nook to IPhone syncing.  Back in January it was "coming soon". 

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
J.R.R. Tolkien - The Fellowship of the Ring
New User
khounba

There may be a way to do this already and I just don't know how because I'm a nook newbie. But displaying how many pages are left until the next chapter would be awesome. If there is a way to do this someone please clue me in.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

The Go-To-Page feature is nice, but the slider is a little bit too inaccurate. It'd be nice if there was a way in type in a specific page as well, but no big rush there.

Correspondent
Rasyr

1) Hierarchical organization system (i.e. it recognizes folders and folders within folders to allow sorting.

2) installation of 3rd party software (i.e. such as games or utilities that can be installed and used) - not asking that B&N support such, only that they allow the user the option of adding such to their nook if they want.

3) Notepad feature -- a simple notepad type of app, allowing for the creation and saving and editing of files. (heck, an android version of te DOS "edit" program would work).

4) Searching  - both among titles, other metadata, and perhaps even within ebooks

Tim Dugger
TANSTAAFL
Contributor
jeff123

I would like to see the folder/tag organization plus the ability to download ebooks through the web browser

Reader 4
ItsNotATuba

How about a seperate button for highlights, notes and bookmarks organized by book.  Also the integration to social networks highlights etc. like the other ereader that shall remain unnamed.  I also think it would be kind of cool to be able to update information on third party sites like shelfari directly from the nook.

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

There is a search tool!  Its been there since V1.3!

ElleyKat wrote:

I know software version 1.4 just came out, but I'm already thinking of things to make the nook even BETTER!

With the up to 16 GB expansion slot, what the Nook really, REALLY needs is a search tool that lets you search your book titles in your personal library. I have several hundred ebooks on my nook, and if I want to read Wuthering Heights I find myself paging through hundreds of ebooks. A search function would let you easily find the exact book you're looking for.

Another helpful tool would be to enable searching by category or tags - I use Calibre to organize my ebooks, and each of my books are tagged with multiple tags. It would be nice to be able to search, for examply, all ebooks tagged with "vampires" to find what I'm looking for.

In summary:

* Search function for my docs

* Tagging fuction

What do you want to see in the next software update? (I will say, I got a nook really early on, and I almost really regretted my decision because there was no way to bookmark your page! Thankfully, they fixed that early on!!)

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Reader 4
Helena115

I wish that when I was in a book, I could click a button that says "More by this author..." and be taken to the store. That way, I don't have to worry about writing down the name, or if i misspelled the author and need to go back and check it before navigating back to the store. 

Frequent Contributor
belladog
0 Kudos

Why not version 1.4.1 instead of version 1.5? :smileyhappy:

Nook Touch, iPad 1
Contributor
Kawarazu
0 Kudos

What I would like to see.

Top tier
- Bugfixes for anything and everything.  (I've seen none so far, so really my point is moot)

Second tier
- Catagories w/ sub-catagories like Series : Obvious reasons are for reading long series in sequential order.
- Music Catagorization : Same theory as above, but for music.
- Disable the home button when using the keyboard : So many times I've hit that damn thing...
- Picture Viewer : Instead of having to change the format from a .cbz/zip file into an ePub/PDF, you could just view the images thusly.
- Search function
- GOTO with a number input option: Accuracy is key, esp for large books...
- More by this Author: Who doesn't want to see what else a good author's written?  

Third tier
- Change orientation : Because it could be useful.
- More fonts please (Or customization)
- Download using the web browser
- Being able to use the web browser anywhere (The AT&T upgrade was a nice touch)

Last tier
- More games? Kakuro, Crossword, Hangman, Scrabble wouldn't be too bad...

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

There is a goto page#!

Kawarazu wrote:

What I would like to see.

Top tier
- Bugfixes for anything and everything.  (I've seen none so far, so really my point is moot)

Second tier
- Catagories w/ sub-catagories like Series : Obvious reasons are for reading long series in sequential order.
- Music Catagorization : Same theory as above, but for music.
- Disable the home button when using the keyboard : So many times I've hit that damn thing...
- Picture Viewer : Instead of having to change the format from a .cbz/zip file into an ePub/PDF, you could just view the images thusly.
- Search function
- GOTO with a number input option: Accuracy is key, esp for large books...
- More by this Author: Who doesn't want to see what else a good author's written?  

Third tier
- Change orientation : Because it could be useful.
- More fonts please (Or customization)
- Download using the web browser
- Being able to use the web browser anywhere (The AT&T upgrade was a nice touch)

Last tier
- More games? Kakuro, Crossword, Hangman, Scrabble wouldn't be too bad...

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
z2
Frequent Contributor
z2

1) PDF resizing options with scrolling capability

2) Landscape mode(esp. for PDFs)

3) A purchase the next book in this series option

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads

Although I never thought of it until I saw this post, I think a notepad-type feature would be awesome!  I would also like to see some word games, and the ability to subscribe to different B&N blogs other than the two we receive every day. There's lots of information on the B&N blogs that would sell more books!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

PocketGoddess wrote:

I only have one desire for my nook--better organization.

Whether that's recognizing folders on the memory card or coming up with a tag system or something of that ilk, I don't really care. I'm not picky, just need some better way to organize my hundreds and hundreds of ebooks!

Something that magically works with Calibre would be swell, but did I mention that I'm not picky?

With you on the library organization.  

Contributor
DIGITALid

• The ability to delete books from your Library right on the nook.
  • Menu option reorganization: bigger square buttons instead of long skinny bars.
  • The ability to remove some lesser used icons on the main menu.  (games,the daily,audio,web,etc.)
  • The ability to categorize your books.
  • The ability to add notes to entire books, not just highlited words.  (I like to post when I start and finish for example.)
  • Quick access to turn on airplane mode.  (Double-tap the top button perhaps?)
  • The ability to "reload" the screen so the previous pages text doesn't show in the background.
  • The ability to fast scroll multiple pages with a finger swipe.  (Perhaps if you hold it like the iOS and a page count appears.)
  • The ability to reassign the buttons on the side.  The page forward and backward should be swapped.  My thumb rests right on the page back button when I hold the nook.

In addition the the usual faster response time, higher sensitivity of the touch screen etc.

Those are the only ones that come to mind right now but I have more.

Contributor
alex_shin
0 Kudos

I'd love to see:

- native support of other alphabets (e.g. Cyrillic).

- FB2 format support

Contributor
mhibbs

My top 2 are:

1. Folder organization in the Library

2. The ability to jump to the bottom link in a newspaper by holding down the down arrow (the same way the store and My B&N Library currently work).  Having to page down through 15 links to one near the bottom is a hassle.  Also many of the "next section" links are the last link on the page which means you have to scroll through all of them to get to the link to jump to the next section if you aren't interested in any of those articles.

Reader
Virtual_Paula

I would love a simple note pad. 

I would like to be able to at least sort My Library alphabetically or by date. 

I would like the dictionary to function in periodicals.