Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
htbyron
0 Kudos

Re: Suggested Improvements For V 1.5

I also find the lack of organization (folders, tags, sorting options, whatever) to be quite frustrating.  I don't have that much on my nook yet, and I think I am obliged to keep it that way, given the inability to find anything if you have more than a few dozen items on the nook.  Some way of organizing items -- in both the B&N Library and the My Documents section -- is essential to usability.

New User
Stasiababby
0 Kudos

I agree some kind of organization is an absolute must! 

Also, has anyone else had issues with the nook recognizing the names of the PDFs you put in? I have alot of books that I had in text format so i converted them to PDF and loaded them into "My documents". Some have kept the name I put, (Author - Book name) but others have randomly changed the name. I even have 2 that are just 1 letter names on the list. I'm on hold right now with customer support but with only a cell, I can't wait for much longer. Any help would be appreciated!!!

Contributor
icephoenix
0 Kudos

I concur with you ElleyKay!!!  I would definitely love to be able to move through my library more easily.  I've got over 300 pages of books that I sideloaded and I use up my battery just flipping pages to get to the book I want. 

While a search function would be great, just having something like the my B&N library where you can see the covers and just slide through the pages would be wonderful.  Calibre allows you to see a copy of the cover in the menu screen.  Allowing the icons or just freer moving pages to alleviate the individual page turning would be absolutely WONDERFUL.

I would REALLY like to be able to have the dictionary function in the my library section of the nook as well.  I was quite disappointed to find that I could only search for words in the B&L library (unless I'm missing something).

Definitely a better organization system is needed.  As mentioned, I've been using Calibre to organize my library, but there are certain books that don't retain the metadata information that's inputted and so I have books that have unknown authors and or titles.  The only saving grace is that Calibre imprints the cover so I can figure out what is what.

In summary, a way of scrolling through the side loaded my library portion, a dictionary function for the my library portion, and maybe some kind of collaboration with Calibre or some other ebook organizational product would definitely be a benefit.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

icephoenix wrote:

I would REALLY like to be able to have the dictionary function in the my library section of the nook as well.  I was quite disappointed to find that I could only search for words in the B&L library (unless I'm missing something).

The dictionary works the same in the 'My Documents' section as in the 'B&N Library' section. However, the dictionary is one of the many features that doesn't work for PDFs. That may be what you're seeing.

Frequent Contributor
Starearedkid
0 Kudos

I would love to have a list of 5 or 10 books that you are currently reading. I tend to swap books quite often, and many times mid series. Right now I am in the middle of 4 books. It is a slight pain to go to My Library, search and find the book. And of course the authors are on the completely end of the spectrum to click through "c" versus "s" or "r". It is a minor annoyance, but still would be easy to fix I would think.

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I love my nook, but you can always improve..

• Book organization system - B&N and My Docs
  • Audio file organization
  • Landscape mode option
  • Image zoom/pan within e-books
  • "Go To" by entering page number
  • Reading now list (last five books or so)
  • Touchscreen scroll as a separate area to actions (always inadvertantly selecting while scrolling!)
  • Sensitivity control/adjustment to touchscreen selections
  • Remaining # of pages to end of a chapter
  • Cover flow within My Docs, not just B&N library
  • "back" function for when accessing links (reference notes) within an e-book
  • Mark/hide/archive "read" books from the nook

Maybe take a look at the nookdevs guys work and copy some ideas!  The nook is a powerful unit, but is under-utlized in its functionality

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

New User
Flamdougal
0 Kudos

Re Names and Authors for PDF,

I had a similar issue with lots of PDFs that I downloaded from my college website library.

I had to open the document on my pc with Acrobat and change the properties of the document. It seems the file name that the PC had is irrelevant to the nook. It only cares about the title and author properties of the document.

I had files with just numbers, some with random author names, all sorts of weird stuff. Once I changed the properties on the pc and copied the new files over, things are good.

I don't know if this will work with acrobat reader since I have acrobat at work. But you can try it out at least.

George

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Starearedkid wrote:

I would love to have a list of 5 or 10 books that you are currently reading. I tend to swap books quite often, and many times mid series. Right now I am in the middle of 4 books. It is a slight pain to go to My Library, search and find the book.

I just set my sorting to "Most Recent". Then the one's I've been reading are right at the beginning.

New User
funnyMic
0 Kudos

My suggestion:

Fullscreen mode!

Especially in PDFs it would sometimes help, if the space of the two information bars would be used for the page itself.

So I'd prefer (in reading mode) to have a "fullscreen" mode, which removes the bars on the top and the bottom which gives more space to the contents.

funnyMic

New User
Storeetllr2
0 Kudos

I'm on the razor's edge, deciding whether to buy the Nook or the *gasp* Kindle (leaning toward Nook because, as someone else said, it's so pretty).  A couple of things about the Nook are bothersome, though: one is that you can't rotate the text.  For someone who needs large fonts to read anymore, being able to put it in a landscape orientation would be awesome. 

Also like z2's suggestion of a "purchase the next book in this series option."

New User
Gareth83
0 Kudos

I chose a Nook over a Kindle because the PDF support was better. 

Would love to be able to annotate my PDF files. Zooming would also be nice.

New User
schwibb
0 Kudos

I would cry tears of joy if there was a simple notepad feature.

Also, I am used to using Stanza on the iPod and it drives me completely nuts that the library screen does not show the completion percentage of each book next to it. Especially with the ability to add so many books it would be useful to be able to sort by completion percentage, and just to have a quick visual reference without having to open a file to decide what to tackle next.

If at all possible, change the 'swipe' feature to turn pages on the touch screen. Perhaps my nook is too smart for me, but it gets frustrating trying to turn the page six times because I tried to swipe too far across the screen or not fast enough.

Last, but certainly not least, give us graphical page changes, either a sweep or something. Turning pages is ugly and just jars me out of my reading experience.

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Things I'd love to see, after only a couple of days of using it:

1] Better audio support. You have a nice color display, why not show the cover image? Some way of creating playlists, even if it is something that needs to be sideloaded.

2] Better bookmarking and notes. Haven't used the feature much yet, but 2 things that it should have that it apparently doesn't is the ability to see all bookmarks/notes and a way to save them in order to reload them so they don't get lost if you delete the book.

3] Get rid of the Games. Or expand it. Taking up all that precious space in the main menu for 2 silly games is pointless.

While I was originally on the "better organization" bandwagon - ie, folders/tags/hierarchy - I'm not so sure any more. Calibre does a pretty good job of that and I see no need to have to have 1000 books installed on my Nook. Between My B&N and the Calibre library, I think I prefer to leave the fancy organization to those places and keep the interface of the Nook simple.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

What I could really use is a Nook without 3G or WiFi and which only uses the USB port for charging unless you are an assigned administrator. 

Any documents would have to be loaded on the SD card. 

It also needs a group/user policy with individual user logins. 

Also, it would have to undergo JITC and EMSEC testing and certification. 

Doug_Pardee
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

Also, it would have to undergo JITC and EMSEC testing and certification. 

Ooh, and TEMPEST shielding, too. And FAA/PMA approval, so it could be used for flight manuals and instrument approach plates. With just a little effort, we could end up with a $5000 NOOK, which wouldn't be available until the year 2026!

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

TEMPEST shielding is so yesterday. 

But seriously, I think it was the USAF which tested the iRex iLiad a year or two ago and it passed EMSEC testing unmodified, straight as is in its COTS configuration.  The Nook probably would as well.  So unless minimum TEMPEST separation could not be maintained AND it was being used to hold classified data, there would be no reason for TEMPEST shielding (SIPRNET and JWICS computers are typically unsheilded Dell desktops). 

New User
Flamdougal
0 Kudos

I also use the large print option with some regularity.

Things that annoy me about it include the fact that pictures or diagrams seem to go away. Can this be fixed? I would be willing to click on a little button in the bottom to open a second window for the graphic and then close it up.

With regards to sideways print-I have not tried this, but I wonder if you could print to pdf but in the printer settings do a sideways print? That might come up sideways on screen but could mess up the font settings.

George

New User
Flamdougal
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if this would work out for you, but I have done this little work around before.

If you bring along a preprogrammed wifi gateway, with the security already set to talk to your nook, you should be able to plug it into another network and get wifi to your nook. It is a hassle in a way, but it does work.

Here is a fix possible from B&N:

How about a little mini wifi gateway? It does not need to be a wired switch. All it would need is ethernet (input) and wifi output. This could help us use the unit where we have wired connection but not wireless. This would be about the size of a thumb or usb drive.

Also, how about some kind of bluetooth support? That would allow for transfer to your PC faster.

I vote for opening up the development with an sdk we can download and write games and stuff.

Inspired Contributor
TheVampireGod
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone that says better organization would be great... maybe a playlist feature with the audio files... but i would like to see a password protection/security feature... i have family members who might love the idea of looking at my nook... so just a few simple things like tht... maybe more games idk... but i do love my nook as is so thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eclipse Pictures, Images and Photos
New User
cel4145
0 Kudos

Re: RSS Reader

MkR wrote:

Are there any plans for B&N to have an app store or collaborate with someone else to get an app store .. some of the interesting apps would be an RSS reader (check our Trook which is from nookdevs), but I would have to softroot my nook which may void warranty etc.

In any case, it would be cool to have an RSS reader .. will make the nook so much more useful.

I agree. As an ereader, an RSS reader would greatly expand the usefulness of the Nook as a reading device. I read RSS news everyday, and if the Nook had an efficient ereader, I would definitely turn to it more often.