Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
C8H10N4O2
0 Kudos

Re: Suggested Improvements For V 1.5

I like being able to see "actual pages" vs. page turns personally.

Biggest thing for me would be to be able to remove content/hide unused buttons (I bought an ereader, not an early 90's gameboy) and better battery life.  Do those two things, and I <3 it.

Inspired Contributor
boe0485
0 Kudos

My wish list for nook improvements

• password protection
  • folders for organizing the books the way I want
  • ability to delete my documents contents from the nook
  • ability to hide books

Contributor
ss_7309
0 Kudos

1. Ability to organize ebooks
  2. suggest this book becomes an ebook button
  3. calender
  4. more by this author feature
  5. next book in the series feature
New User
Foxtrotter
0 Kudos

I agree that a way to organize books is important as more are added to the nook.

I would also like to see a way to sideload work-related text...I thought PDF would do that, but the screen is too small to practically read a page at a time, and I don't want to scroll around constantly to view parts of the page.  If there were support for RTF, or a way to extract content from PDF such that font size could be adjusted, or any other easily created text format where font size could be selected, it would be a great device for the professionals in my office.  Once they used the device I think they would be hooked, and they are all great readers!

Distinguished Correspondent
very-simple
0 Kudos

Foxtrotter wrote:

... If there were support for RTF, ...

Why don't you just use Calibre, which is free, to convert rtf to epub?  I do it all the time and it works pretty seamlessly.

Reader 4
pagewrites
0 Kudos

I would love to see some way to designate library books in documents. I have to go back to the website to remember which ones I checked out.

Folders in documents.

A way to add document covers just like BN covers. Neat way to use the touch screen.

New User
ny128
0 Kudos

Please add optional security features

Please add optional password protection for buying books with the Nook.

I live in New York City and frequently use my Nook in public - on the subway, waiting for the bus, etc. It makes me nervous that if my Nook were stolen, charges could be run up on my credit card. Yes, I know that I could dispute them later, but it would be much more reasuring to know that I could set my Nook to require a password for purchases. Since a password is required for making purchases through the website, it seems even more important to provide this capability on the Nook. I know not everyone wants the extra hassel, so making it optional might be a good compromise.

Thanks!

p.s. I also look forward to seeing the improved organizational capabilities that many are suggesting.

Reader
Sepia
0 Kudos

I am a relatively new nook user, and also new to touch screens.

After carefully reading this thread, I think only one other person brought up the scroller being on top of the action buttons as problematic, so I felt it was worth mentioning those sub-menus again.

The scroller is teeny and is on top of the action buttons, so many, many misclicks (the 'back' button gets far more use than it should). The top button on the sub-menus is so close to the 'home' bar above the screen, it's actually pretty easy to hit it by accident and have to start navigation all over again. I have fairly small hands, and cannot imagine someone with larger fingers navigating those screens easily.

My friends who are familiar with touch screens say I'll 'get used to it,' but the thing is, you made the main menu so nice I can't help but compare them! It would be nice if the submenus could somehow be more like the main menu... nice big buttons that can be simply scrolled across the screen, with no fear of misclicking or hitting the home bar by accident (similar to how browsing books by cover is laid out as well). It wouldn't need to be color or look fancy, I just find that design much easier to use.

There are many other good ideas in this thread I won't bother to repeat.

Contributor
bob-o-link
0 Kudos

PDF rotation/panning/zooming would be really great!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

bob-o-link wrote:

PDF rotation/panning/zooming would be really great!

Not only for PDF. Pan and Zoom for images in ePub and PDB as well.

Frequent Contributor
Beckah
0 Kudos

I, too, am not used to touch screens plus I have older eyes with heavily corrected vision. So I love the idea of bigger submenu buttons. Those itsy-bitsy lines with the tiny font drive me nuts! I frequently hit the wrong line and have to start all over again. 

Frequent Contributor
Vic54
0 Kudos

Re: Sorting Within NOOK's Library

WHICH LIBRARY? There are two you know, and "Sort by Most Recent" is NOT UNIFORM in both libraries. Who cares about sorting by the Last Book Purchased? Yet this is what the B&N library does. Why not sort B&N Library correctly, like it is done in the "My Documents" Library?

Frequent Contributor
Vic54
0 Kudos

Sort by Most Recent - NOT UNIFORM

"Sort by Most Recent" is not uniform in it's behavior.

When in My Documents, it works as expected.

When in "My B&N Library", it doesn't work. Instead your most recently PURCHASED book floats to the top.

Who cares about most recently purchased? Make it work correctly in B&N Library too!

Frequent Contributor
Vic54
0 Kudos

Cover Flow Description in Advertising misleading?

I can't believe that I'm the only one who decided in favor of purchasing a Nook instead of a Kindle partly because the advertising led me to believe I could display and select between ALL my eBooks using the color touchscreen.

Unless I missed it, there is NO disclaimer describing you can only use what's called "Cover Flow" with books you purchase from Barnes & Noble.

Does anyone else out there find that disturbing? :smileysurprised:

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

I would like to see:

1.  When you have viewed a sample book and decide you are interested there is only a "buy" button with no price....  I would like it to say "Buy for $X.XX" just as it does when you are in the shop section the buy button says "buy for $x.xx".  Often I take a few sample books to check out and I don't remember the price and maybe the price changed!

2.  Often my children want to read from the Nook or play Suduko.  I have had others who want to check it out because they are interested in getting one, however they are clueless!  I would like the ability to lock my Nook from purchases so my children or someone who is checking it out/reading from it doesn't accidentally purchase items.  Also hey what if I loose my Nook it safe guards the spending!  Pretty much have the option to ask for a pass word at time of purchase I think is a great idea!

M

Reader
colonialgirl
0 Kudos

Has anyone mentioned a "Price drop" feature?

I know there has been a lot of debate about the pricing of ebooks - what if nook owners could download a sample of a book and then be informed when its price is adjusted?

B&N obviously keep a tabs of the authors we purchase - perhaps we could have these tagged to inform us when a new book is released or a current one we have expressed interest in (sampled not bought; listed on ewish list, etc.) becomes more affordable?

I would appreciate a password to access my nook - my books, my business!

I think the password to make purchases would become less necessary then and this gate-keeper approach would kill two birds - privacy and financial safety.

My 2 penneis.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Sort by Most Recent - NOT UNIFORM

[ Edited ]

The scroller is teeny and is on top of the action buttons, so many, many misclicks (the 'back' button gets far more use than it should). The top button on the sub-menus is so close to the 'home' bar above the screen, it's actually pretty easy to hit it by accident and have to start navigation all over again. I have fairly small hands, and cannot imagine someone with larger fingers navigating those screens easily.

You don't have to actual scroll directly on the scroll bar, you can scroll from the middle of the screen.  Just put your finger in the middle of the touch screen over the select options and push up or down.  It's not necessary to be anywhere near the scroll bar itself.

Reader
TheRoseJD
0 Kudos

I would like to have the ability to search for chapter and verse in a Bible. So far I have not found a Bible that will work on the Nook without it being very slow and cumbersome. I know many individuals that have asked me should they purchase the Nook and I can only state that it is great for novels, but don't it expect to find a Bible that will allow you the functionality to move from chapter to verse to book easily during a sermon. This search functionality would be great!

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

TheRoseJD wrote:

I would like to have the ability to search for chapter and verse in a Bible. So far I have not found a Bible that will work on the Nook without it being very slow and cumbersome. I know many individuals that have asked me should they purchase the Nook and I can only state that it is great for novels, but don't it expect to find a Bible that will allow you the functionality to move from chapter to verse to book easily during a sermon. This search functionality would be great!

There's a lot of processing to be done searching through a large file, (2742 pages) such as the Bible, so it will be very slow, if not unable to even find what you want before going to sleep, like my nook.  

I edited a non-DRM'd copy of the King James version using Sigil and created a Table of Contents with chapter headings such as 'Psalms Chapter 11'.  I can scroll through these to find the section I want much, much, much quicker than using the search function, though with both Old and New Testaments in my e-book, there's a lot of chapters to scroll through.  I could separate them out into two books and that would help, but I don't take my nook to church.

It is one of my nook software wants that the chapter menu stays linked to the chapter you are reading, rather than going back to the beginning everytime after a selection.   It would help with this book and the Calibre newsfeeds I read with many news stories and only some that I want to read

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Reader 4
Ginnder
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My list:

1) Book Organization

2) Password protection

*AND* something from the iPhone BN reader app

3) Ability to change line spacing and margin widths.

I'm always having to reformat my books with calibre because I find the normal line spacing way too large and distracting. I like dense text and prefer 10pt font with 11pt spacing viewed on "medium"