08-03-2010 04:27 PM
One thing I would like to see would be the ability to sort by series. When I go to read my book series, I would like to have them together and sorted by series order instead of alpha sorted by title. This will be a huge issue when I get around to buying the Discworld series where there are over 30 books in the series already.
08-04-2010 01:32 PM
We are also a 2-nook family, shortly going to be a 3 nook family. The ability to share books in the family is great, but we would really appreciate the ability to have separate library lists for each nook. We have different reading interests, particularly for our young son. What would be great is besides having individual archiving, as was suggested earlier, would be the ability to have one of the nooks operating in a restricted mode, so only certain books would be made available (e.g., to our son), by enabling them on the bn.com web site.
08-04-2010 02:49 PM
I just got my Nook (replacing a OpenInkPot branded ereader). Oke a lot of additional features on the Nook and quite comfortable. But .. there is always a but ..
Concerning reading, just reading and swapping books:
- what about (sub)folders in the "My Documents" display so I could make shelves (by folders on the storage, or tags or whatever)
- what about a "recently opened" list. I'm used to read more books in parallel
Concerning the browser
Besides it would be great if the nook (beta) browser supports a epub-reader plugin to directly browse p.e. (my local) calibre's content-server - yet (firmware 1.4) the page displays oke but flashes and cleans out.
I admit after 2 hours I hardly have used the device for reading a novell or whatever.
Greetz, and hoping forn an answer/update
08-04-2010 03:42 PM
I think some of my suggestions have already been requested, but I guess the more people ask for them it shows B&N that people really want these features.
- Tagging/Folder Organization - This would be awesome for books, music and audio books. If you're adding this for books, make sure to add it for both B&N content and My Documents.
- Download ePub and PDF - Add this to the web browser so that users can download files directly to their nook from the web.
- Play audio in order - This is of highest concern for audio books. When you're listening to an audio book, there is nothing more irritating than jumping from one chapter to another random chapter and then having to find your way back to the chapter you should be listening to. We should be able to listen to audio files in track order within a given album/audio book.
08-05-2010 12:45 PM
Dear Nook Developers:
I've been the proud owner of a Nook for a couple of weeks now, and I really do like it. I like a device that's designed to do one thing well rather than many things poorly. The nook is designed, from what I can tell, primarily to be a way to read ebooks that's as comfortable as reading paper books, and it succeeds at that task very well.
My one consistent frustration, however, has been the way the Nook deals with notes and highlights. Right now, it's possible to highlight sections of text and create short notes. The process for doing so works pretty well, given the limited speed of the e-ink screen. But there's not much reason to take notes or add highlights unless you can access them quickly later on for further reference and study, and this is where the Nook fails: the only way to find one's notes and highlights, as far as I've been able to discover, is to go through the entire book again, page-by-page, and look for the highlights or the little tag marks that indicate a note, and then call up the notes for each individual page. That process can only work at a snail's pace, which pretty much obviates the existing note-taking capabilities.
The folks from whom I bought the Nook in the B&N store, by the way, told me that I would be able to access notes taken on the Nook via the PC reader, which has also turned out to be false.
The thing is, I'm sure there's a reasonable way to fix this. The data for those notes has to be stored somewhere on the device, any computer-like device is all about accessing and arranging data in different ways, so there has to be a relatively easy way to enable users to access note and highlight data in more useful forms. At a minimum, it should be possible to access a page that simply calls up all the notes one has included in a particular book: if it's possible to retrieve one note, it should be easy to create the capability to retrieve them all, and if it's possible to retrieve all the notes for a single book in one place, it should be equally easy to export that content to something like a simple .txt file. Just those two modifications would take the Nook's current note-taking capabilities (which are functionally useless as they are now), and turn them into something very useful indeed.
To add another slight prod to appeal to your pride in your work and sense of technological cuurency: I had this kind of note-exporting functionality on the e-reading software I used to use ON MY OLD PALM III FROM 1998! The old software, from ereader.com, would export a text file that included all the notes taken within a particular book, with page references, as well as a page reference for each highlight and bookmark. Surely if the software for my old Palm PDA could do this, the Nook can too!
As a quick search through these forums will show, I'm not the only person to be frustrated with the note functionality on the Nook, and I can't help but believe that this would be a relatively simple problem to solve via changes to the firmware.
I _like_ my Nook as-is, but I would LOVE it, and be able to recommend it much more universally, if this single feature was added. So consider this my on-my-knees appeal to please, please, please add at least these improvements in a future firmware update.
Mark in Minneapolis
P.S. If you are a forum reader and also interested in this kind of feature, help me encourage the developers by posting your support in response to this post! Thanks!
08-05-2010 10:19 PM
I have no idea if this will work, but try downloading nookstudy from BN. It was just released this week. That might have the functionality you are looking for that the desktop reader lacks.
08-06-2010 04:38 PM
There seems to be a consensus that as more and more books are downloaded onto the nook, a better way of organizing them is needed. I think simply adding a fourth (and maybe a fifth) way of listing books would be helpful and a simple upgrade. Right now books can be listed by author, title or date; adding genre and series, for example, could help quite a bit.
A function to be able to go to highlights would be nice. I've highlighted quite a bit in some books, but I have to go thru the books page by page to see what's been highlighted.
I'd also like the ability to delete books directly from the nook. I like to keep good books in my library, but not all books.
I don't know if it would be a calibre upgrade or a nook upgrade, but I'd like to be able to edit the metadata on books that are already on my nook. It seems that now, I need to edit on my computer than transfer to the nook.
08-07-2010 11:11 PM
Would like to see a fix so that EVERY book purchased will open on the Nook. Currently not every book does and I spend literally hours on the phone with customer service to only have them tell me that I can return the book or side load it. It never gets fixed.
Longer battery life
08-08-2010 12:27 PM
Two Things on my Wish List:
More Magazines -- The current list is anemic and far less than promised in the pre-launch marketing blitz
Better Migration in Newspaper Articles -- There should be an ability from every single page in a newspaper article to instantly navigate to the next article. Currently, you can only do this from the first page or last page of an article. I frequently desire to stop reading an article somewhere in the middle without having to navigate out to the index of the section. The absence of this feature really makes enewspapers more cumbersome than convenient. I've suggested this beginning with version 1.0, but B&N doesn't seem to have it on its priority list. If they would get this done, I would consider cancelling some of my home delivery print subscriptions and going fully digital.
08-09-2010 12:10 PM
Be able to highlight text and then send that text to your Twitter or Facebook account. Maybe with options to edit the post and to include the title and a shortened URL to the book on the B & N web site.
08-09-2010 01:09 PM
I would love to be able to categorize my books as I please. Also I would love to have an option to have the book cover of the current book I am reading as a screensaver. I love looking at the book covers and I am currently downloading and adding the cover in my screensaver as a separate folder, but as my library grows, there are getting to be too many folders to keep track.
08-09-2010 01:32 PM
- Zoom In/Out on PDF documents
- Color preview of pdf document using the touch screen area similar how you navigate in the browser
- option to view pdf in landscape mode too.
08-09-2010 02:12 PM
I recently spent some time playing with an IPad, including using its book-reading app. While I could see that it might be a problem reading books on the IPad's backlit screen for an extended period of time, it was certainly a pleasure tuning pages. There was absolutely no hesitation, as there sometimes is on The Nook's touchscreen.
I don't know if a more responsive touchscreen is a software issue but, if it is, I'd like to see it happen. it would sure make using the touchscreen a lot easier.
08-09-2010 03:30 PM
Here are my thoughts. Sorry if I have repeated anything, but I don't have time to read all the posts.
1. Add the ability to mix in side loaded eBooks with the main B&N library. I think the best way to do this would be to have a new directory on the nook; call it 'My Books' so we could still separate out the documents we have that would not have the meta information needed to properly integrate.
2. Add a tagging system similar to Google's gmail system. If you add a sequence field to a tag you could use this to organize book series into the correct order. Then you could add default tags for books when they are downloaded and the ability to edit the tags or reset them to the original default.
3. I notice that some books (whether they are in my B&N library or the 'My Documents' directory) will display the book cover on the color screen while I am currently reading them. Why does this not happen all the time? Since this also happens with non B&N sourced documents I assume that this is a setting or resource of the document itself. In that case why do you not associate the cover with all books?
4. Make the User Manual a separate icon off the main touch screen menu. Give it an icon with a question mark. This way you can remove it from the 'My Documents' directory where it is an irritant. You would also make it more visible which may reduce your RTFM tech call load; especially if you put it in the five spot.
5. Allow a user to select one of multiple covers that have been used for a title over the years. This would be similar to the way you can view other covers when shopping on Amazon; although I think those are actually screen shots uploaded by customers.
6. Allow unlimited sharing between nooks that are based on accounts at the same address. This 'Lend-a-Book' option is really a farce in that anyone can manually side load a book to another nook as long as you are willing to share your credit card number which is useless without the security code. This would allow a family to not be inconvenienced while still protecting against what probably amounts to piracy in the eyes of the publishers. This would mean eBooks could be treated in the same fashion as pBooks within the same house.
7. Repurpose one of the page turn buttons so that it will go to the next chapter. Better yet add a hold down period to activate it on either of the current buttons.
8. Add a 'page of next chapter' field to the books progress bar. You could add display options for this to modify it so it shows either the pages left in the current chapter or the page number of the next chapter. For example: '============------------ x of y (z)' where z is the page of the next chapter. This would be really useful in that everyone occasionally wants to determine if they have the time to read a chapter before they have to return to real life for some event.
9. Add the chapter title to the header display like the desktop reader. I wouldn't mind losing a line of text to this. Maybe you could add item 8 to this line instead. Another option would be to replace the progress bar with the chapter title. I always thought the progress bar was a waste of space where screen real estate is at a premium.
10. When doing searches for authors (I find myself having to do this to get to that part of my library as the number of pages in it increases) it would be nice if the book titles were still grouped under one occurrence of the authors name.
11. Add a 'make eBook available' button to your website which people could click on to inform you that they want it in that format. It would also be nice if you would react to those requests. I have posted several times to the missing eBook thread and rarely see anything happen; even for eBooks that are available elsewhere (i.e. Amazon).
If you bothered to read this post all the way through thanks for listening and I hope I actually had some ideas that were original and worth your while to implement...
08-09-2010 09:13 PM
Sorry if someone already mentioned this one, but in addition to better ability for file organization (especially mp3 on the micro SD!), I would like a way to password protect the Nook after powerup or returning from sleep mode (with the ability to shut off the feature, much like on a PC.)
B&N: Don't despair with all of the wish list items and complaints about v1.4, it just means we are using your great eReader and want to improve it!
08-09-2010 10:07 PM
I would love to be able to organize my books by genre. Also, it would be great to have the ability to search the books loaded to My Documents. And I don't know about the rest of you, but I find myself reading a few books at a time. It would be cool if under "Reading Now," it remembered the last say, two or three books you looked at.
08-10-2010 12:28 AM
I would like folders. Or at the very least some kind of "currently reading" bookshelf type of thing. I often read several books at once and having to go through all the books I have each time I switch is a real pain. "Currently reading" only works if you are reading one book at a time.
It also would be nice to have other folders so I can put all my technical books in one, divide up fiction by genre, have a folder for those already read, so forth.
This is probably what I REALLY WANT most of all. It would make it far more usable.