Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
bmanvm
0 Kudos

Re: Suggested Improvements For V 1.5

I agree. There needs to be a better way to search books in your library. I have my library under authors and it would be nice to hit a Letter "D" and the authors with last name D shows up instead of me paging through my library.

What I would love to see is an option to use gift card or credit card. Currently all downloads go to gift card then default credit. Since I don't want a lot of little purchases showing on my credit card I like to purchase gifts cards.  But if it is a more costly item I would prefer it to go to my credit card but currently I have no choice.

Also I would like to see how much I have on my gift card before purchasing. There is no way to keep track how the money is being spent on the gift card. And yes I can log into my B&N account (for a total remaining but no summary) but that would require me to race back to a computer. Sort of defeats the purpose of being wireless?

Plus I would love to be able to search or go to a page when browsing for books. If there is 110pgs on a subject that I am browsing I don't want to press a button 110 times. It makes it especially difficult when you want to come back and browse. If you ended on page 51, to return I would have to keep pressing the page button 51 times to get back to my search. I see the same books over and over again. I now just search for books on the internet website of my computer. Again, defeats the purpose of the nook being wireless. 

Contributor
bmanvm
0 Kudos

GonnaTri wrote:

I also wish there was a way to lock certain books so I can let my kids use the Nook without them coming across some language in books I would rather they don't read.

IF B&N did this I bet they could improve sales! I would love to purchase the nook for my kids. But I don't want them to have the same access to my books. I would have to create a separate account for them requiring another membership fee! 
It would be great to have different log in names for members of a family much like on your computer. Same device different access codes. Plus you could link the member with separate gift cards so they and you know how much they are spending.  

Contributor
bmanvm
0 Kudos

Re: Parental Controls

PepaLou wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

PepaLou wrote:

The above posters are correct.  Remove the SIM card so they don't have unlimited 3G access. 

I will be getting my 11 year old a nook for his 12th birthday (in July).  But I will be getting him the nook wifi, and the wifi in my house already has locks in place on it, so he can't access unwanted sites on his computer (and I check daily).  Heck, I'm such a nosy parent I even have a GPS tracker on his phone, LOL!

It makes me crazy when people lose their minds over kids accessing this or that, or kids going bad, when really it's the parents fault for not being more vigilant.  Kids will be kids, and they WILL try to get things they aren't allowed.  It is our job as parents to be nosey, pushy, and spy if we must to keep them in line. 

My 2 cents anyway.

You may still need to be careful with this though.  Do you have neighbors with unsecured wifi or those that might tell him thier password?  Same with this friends and their neighbors or anywhere else he might take it.  My network is secure but I have two neighbors' that aren't. 

That is the part where I check daily to see what he's up to.  And I scan for nearby "hotspots"  and they all have locks on them.  But I check anyway.  Too many wierdos out there for me not to be a little paranoid.

If you buy a nook for your kid do they have a separate B&N account? Because I have more of a problem with books that I have available in their library!  Parental control or Access control would be helpful so that families can separate content for different users!!!!!

Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

Here's another big one (that probably goes along with organization that everyone is asking for):

If you're on page 12 of your book list, and archieve a book, when the page reloads, it should take you back to page 12 (or at least ask if you want to go there) rather than to the first page of the list.

Contributor
CyberSammy
0 Kudos

Couple things....

Yes I aree with all who want better ways to organise... please please allow me to build my own folder structure..

Please allow me to add to  how I would like to sort/tag things.

Please allow me to make notes in documents/books in My own Library.. I can do this in the B&N library but not my own.. whats up with that...

Current Chess game please upgrade it so i can play another person who is on their nook....

Contributor
OliverSudden
0 Kudos

It seems clear to me that what most of us want is a better way to retrieve stuff from the nook. I'd prefer setting up my own folders, but even searchable meta tags would work, at least as long as I remembered how I tagged them. I'm not worried about some thief finding my nook and running up charges (yet), but I admit I'm working off a stereotype that considers it unlikely that the thief would be an avid but deprived reader who would leap at the chance to download books for free. By the time he or she could do some real damage, I'd like to think I'd know enough to cancel the nook and so on, but I guess you never know. Damn I'd like to to look for my sideloaded or downloaded content in searchable contents, but I'd guess I'd settle for a port of Oregon Trail as a new game.
New User
Lencrest
0 Kudos

For version 1.5 I hope to see the ability to scroll from bookmark page to the next bookmark without going back to the start.  A "next bookmark" would be a great addition.

Also..The 15 day period to lend a book is too short for the person receiving the book and a book should be able to be lent more than once.  I agree not indefinitely but say 3 times would be beneficial.

Contributor
whoiskevin
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone on the organization improvements.

I have to strongly disagree on those asking for games or improvements to games. Sure way to kill this device is to try and make it into a game player of some sort.  Please do not continue to encourage this fragment.  It is a reader not a game platform.

So my list:

1. Better organization of my library

2. Ability to remove buttons on the touch screen since it is now cluttered with games I need to remove those useless icons.  Offering a way to customize this even if it means uploading a file to the nook with a list of icons to place on the touch screen would be fine.

3.  Perhaps to encourage others instead of the web browser you could integrate with facebook and twitter so that after or during the reading of a book the reader can post to twitter or facebook a quick review or just a "I finished" post. With a nice #nook tag and of course a link to the BN page for that book. Seems slightly more useful than the web browser which really only serves to get on wifi that requires some sort of signin.

4. Did I mention removing the games? :-)

5. Improve the audio player or maybe just remove it.

6. Faster/better ability to do word lookup and highlighting.  Allow highlights to be stored outside the book in some sort of notebook or something. After all if I highlight I probably want to find it later.

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Lencrest wrote:

For version 1.5 I hope to see the ability to scroll from bookmark page to the next bookmark without going back to the start.  A "next bookmark" would be a great addition.

Also..The 15 day period to lend a book is too short for the person receiving the book and a book should be able to be lent more than once.  I agree not indefinitely but say 3 times would be beneficial.

I think books should be able to be lent out infinitely. Even to a singular person, but with a catch like, you can lend the book to a singular person only once every month or something. Because it should be like a real book, or as close as possible, except ya know, with an ebook you don't have worry that it'll never get returned to you. 

Also as for the 15 day period it should be user customizable, when you go to lend the book you can choose from like 15 days - 1 month. At the end of that time the book is returned and you can't re-lend that particular book back to that person for 30 days.

There should also be a way to extend the lending period, if i lend a book to a friend for a month, but they became particularly busy that month and didn't get a chance to read the book i can pull up the book in my account and extend the book for another 15-30 days.

i can understand why B&N wants restrictions on Lending what with Piracy of books on the rise. But let's face it, all it takes is lending a book once, to the wrong person for it to be stolen,  By allowing multiple lending controlled  by the owner of the book, then people wouldn't have to steal the book if someone set up a lending library service. 

Hell, even B&N could setup the service themselves, along with selling an ebook allow users to rent them, similar to the textbook setup. Give a month subscription fee, or annually or whatever and lend out books for cheaper. They get to read the book the company/author gets paid. It wouldn't be much different than allowing users to read a book (an hour a day per book) in a B& N store for free, except for a price cheaper than buying the book (or cost of gas for people who don't have a B&N anywhere nearby) they could read the book.

As for other things I think they should allow people to remove games for people who don't want them, allow users to use an SDK to add applications.

If a user doesn't like it? They can remove the apps they don't want or hide them and then they can stop complaining about the "bloat". Yea they added games, but if you don't like them? Don't tell them to remove them, other people might play those games, I've tried the games maybe once or twice, haven't bothered with them since.

Honestly a single icon more to get to Wifi or settings, or whatever doesn't bug me, they could of done it a lot worse and placed the games in the main menu instead of a sub menu. it doesn't really bloat the Nook any more than it was. It's not like they added games and now the nook is slow unresponsive, can't read books, all the original functionality of the nook is still there.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

fjrichman wrote:

Lencrest wrote:

I think books should be able to be lent out infinitely. Even to a singular person, but with a catch like, you can lend the book to a singular person only once every month or something. Because it should be like a real book, or as close as possible, except ya know, with an ebook you don't have worry that it'll never get returned to you. 

Also as for the 15 day period it should be user customizable, when you go to lend the book you can choose from like 15 days - 1 month. At the end of that time the book is returned and you can't re-lend that particular book back to that person for 30 days.

There should also be a way to extend the lending period, if i lend a book to a friend for a month, but they became particularly busy that month and didn't get a chance to read the book i can pull up the book in my account and extend the book for another 15-30 days.

i can understand why B&N wants restrictions on Lending what with Piracy of books on the rise. But let's face it, all it takes is lending a book once, to the wrong person for it to be stolen,  By allowing multiple lending controlled  by the owner of the book, then people wouldn't have to steal the book if someone set up a lending library service. 

Hell, even B&N could setup the service themselves, along with selling an ebook allow users to rent them, similar to the textbook setup. Give a month subscription fee, or annually or whatever and lend out books for cheaper. They get to read the book the company/author gets paid. It wouldn't be much different than allowing users to read a book (an hour a day per book) in a B& N store for free, except for a price cheaper than buying the book (or cost of gas for people who don't have a B&N anywhere nearby) they could read the book.

It is the publisher controlling the lending period and the number of lends, not B&N, which is why not all books are lendable.   As for renting, again, the publisher's would have to agree to this, and at this point, it's not likely.  It's a great idea, but I wanted to point out that B&N has little control over it.

Inspired Contributor
fjrichman
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

It is the publisher controlling the lending period and the number of lends, not B&N, which is why not all books are lendable.   As for renting, again, the publisher's would have to agree to this, and at this point, it's not likely.  It's a great idea, but I wanted to point out that B&N has little control over it.

True, they don't have control over it, but maybe if they asked around they might be able to get publishers interested, I think the reason publishers limited lending is because they are afraid of the possibility of piracy,one book could lead to millions of unpaid copies. That's not an issue that you have with a real book though, because not too many people are willing to scan a paperback and print out copies.

But ya know? If I could rent a book for 4.50 (price of a paperback at Wal-mart) instead of 9.99 (price of the same paperback as an eBook) I'd probably read a lot more than I already do.

That or convince publishers to bring down the cost of eBooks. The cost to make a copy of an eBook is almost nil considering the price of ink/paper/binding for a paperback or hardback book.

Contributor
wrote
0 Kudos

Simple.  Show a nook on the website for downloads.  I have a nook.  Why do I care about a ipad or a blackberry or a Sony.  Who is your main audience.

It works well in the store.  But at home.  It seems that most of them went into the my documents folder.  I want to be able to show the graphic of the book in the my b&n folder and float around.

Somehow teach what the difference is between these folders, etc...

There are too many levels to go to a specific page.

Teach that to use the slider to change the page you simply put your finger down off the lit active screen and slide all the way across it.

I need and want to be able to sort my books from left to right and up to down.  Call it the...get ready

SHELF

wrote

(that will be five B&N dollars please)

Frequent Contributor
mlfoley012
0 Kudos

The highlighting feature needs to be much easier and there needs to be a seperate page for highlighted notes/bookmarks.  (Like on the Nook for ipod!)

Better organization/folders.

The lending thing really bugs.  There are some books that need more than two weeks to be read (say, Pillars of the Earth) and I should be able to loan the book more than  once. Yes, yes, I know - it's all about money - there still needs to be a change.

Reader
sherlockmac
0 Kudos

The three features I would most like to see in v1.5 are:

-Searching a character from within the book. 

-Display pages to end of chapter.

-Organize books into folders

Wordsmith
wordsandmelodies
0 Kudos

I think this post would be better if you put it in the current thread, instead of starting a new one.  If you're not sure how, just go to the thread and click "Reply".

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

Actual zoom capability for pdf files. I greatly appreciate that the Nook has native support of PDF files. That's the primary reason I choose it of the Kindle initially.

I have tons of computer reference books in pdf form. A few years ago I basically ran out of space for the 500 page reference books. So I started only buying digital versions of them. Once I got my Nook I no longer had to carry a usb drive of books with me which ended me carrying big books around. This is great but I have a problem with it. In order to see some pdfs properly you have to view it with the text set to small since it reformats the text. This is fine if what you're reading is just text. But if it has tables, sidebars, images, code samples its not so great. I may not want to reformat the document but just zoom in.

The ideal way I see this working is to be able to zoom to incremental and custom amounts and lock the document to that zoom scale. For instance a lot of the pdfs I have contain pretty large margins. It would be great to zoom in and horizontally align a page to remove the left and right margins. Then 'lock' that pdf to that zoom setting. 

New User
Dragonlady1793

[ Edited ]

I have just finished reading all 39 pages of comments and now add my voice to those who have come before - just in case B&N is counting votes. Have owned Nook for 4 months. I am definitely hooked on the Nook - instant buying is addictive (eBooks are the methamphetamine of literary world.) First time on this blog.

1. If B&N can only do one thing in V 1.5, please program better user-driven ways to organize books and documents - either folders/suborders or megatags. Please don't "consider for future"; consider it immediately. (Prefer folder option myself.)

2. Things I would like to see added (in order of preference)

a. Choice in upgrade - either "upload all" or to "individually select upload items" i.e. Customize upload

b. Delete from Nook

c. Shopping cart instead of individual buys

d. Sort by original publication date of book (not eBook) - would solve "series" problem

e. Upload my ratings of books to website

f. Automatically turning to "off" from "sleep mode" after 72 hours (or so)

g. "Also by the author" browsing option

h. Current book cover as screen saver.

3. Things I don't particularly need but would not mind because important to others

a. Optional Pin/password (Note to lawyers who posted. Isn't carrying client files on an unsecured Nook a bit risky? I would not want my lawyer to do so.)

b. Optional parental controls

c. "Go to Page #" feature

d. Available abroad - Let's support the troops! Plus I would have loved Nook when tramping around Great Britain and Europe 25 years ago!

Overall advice - concentrate on improving the reader/account functions before branching out.

New User
PAL0721
0 Kudos

That's one of my biggest suggestions as well.  Sometimes I have a limited time to read but I want to finish the current chapter.  There's no way of knowing how many pages that will be...and quite often it's much longer than anticipated.  Please find a solution!

Reader
azxure
0 Kudos

I am yet another person wanting a better system of organization.  I came over to the Nook from the Sony Reader and they had a very usable system by allowing you to make collections which also uses metatags to organize your books.  It is ridiculous to have such a large HD on the device with no functional way to organize the contents.

It is bad enough that I have considered trading my son for his Sony PRS-300 even though it has a smaller screen.  I just read too much to have to page through so many page turns to find what I want to read.

Contributor
khbkhb
0 Kudos

I concur with the comments about organization and searching (tags, etc.) and especially about the sync (although I suppose Amazon might have a patent in progress on "Whispersync" which does precisely what I think we're asking for (rant about sw patents elided).

What I'd like to add to the list is Dropbox support. That is, a spectacular way to load nonBN content into the nook would be to have the Nook allow one to configure a dropbox folder to automatically load into the nook.

Since the underlying Nook OS is Linux based, and there are very good Linux clients (and 2GB accounts are free) it would seem like an easy thing to implement.

As much as I love Calibre, sometimes I'd just like data to appear .. rather than having to import it and then load it into the Nook.

Perfect examples would be text notes (or lists ;>) from my ipod to my Nook.

The previously requested noteapps should leverage one of the DropBox based ones ... so not only could we edit, but trivially sync.