Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
davidn
0 Kudos

Re: Suggested Improvements For V 1.5

This is a little off the topic of V1.5, but two other nook improvements I'd like to see:

1) I'll sometimes read a book I've started on my nook on my blackberry using the nook app when I don't have my nook with me.  Sure would be nice if it would synchronize where I leave off on the two devices (like the competition does!).

2) Make the E-ink screen touch-sensitive and eliminate the color touch screen.  This would have the added benefit of making the nook smaller and lighter and would extend battery life.  The only two other buttons it would need are the on-off button and a pin-hole hardware reset on the back side.  It could be the Kindle killer!

Frequent Contributor
dave50

I sympathize with those who wish to keep their Nooks simple, dedicated ereaders. Why should their use be slowed by excess code to handle extraneous functions they'll never use?

I even appreciate B&N's marketing plan, which views the Nook as a portable storefront ("Imagine being able to carry Barnes and Noble in the palm of your hand...") optimized to move product. Simply a content delivery vehicle.

Both would be appropriate for most ereaders. But not the Nook. Because the Nook is more than a reader.

It's design allows a higher standard of functionality than eink-only devices. The main display should be thought of as epaper - a passive display panel treated as a portable printer. But the LCD touchpanel enables a degree of interactivity beyond simple "soft buttons" and bookshelves, with the potential to become a new class of device: the eSlate, functionally a high-end PDA optimized for document viewing, but supporting content creation as well! Indeed, it could become the realization of the next-generation One Laptop Per Child tablet computer with very little enhancement, with economy of scale allowing a sub-$99 price point.

Not since Apple abandoned the MessagePad and Newton OS has such potential been lost on those in charge. (and yes, I mean to imply that the iPad - for all its success! - is far less than "The Newt" we fanboys were hoping for!)

Let's assume the Nook2 has only a few additional hardware features:
            1) 16-greyscale display to match the Kindle (possibly 2nd. model with 10.1" 1024x768 Pixel Qi display)
            2) 4GB standard as internal SDHC Class 6 card (upgradeable to 32GB for a device grand total onboard of 64GB)
            3) Bluetooth in addition to existing WiFi 802.11g (and optional 3G) for HID keyboard option (a physical folding keyboard would enhance eWriter capability)
            4) GPS chip for geolocation. Everything from Google Maps to personalized travel itineraries could take advantage of this.
            5) An accelerometer with automatic portrait/landscape rotation is expected by Android (and a shake interface would be nice for page turning), although manual selection can override.

The true enhancements are primarily software (most of which should be backwards-compatible to original Nook as well): Most of the suggestions below have been culled from this thread and amended with some "how to" approaches
            1) Upgrade Android to version 3 and open up development with SDK for 3rd. party app store alongside bookstore.(particularly for the PDA-related functions)
            2) Add configurable subdirectory support - probably the #1 request. This could be implemented via the Nook "arch" icon imprinted with the parent directory name along the top curve and in the opening with the next subdirectory - just tap one or the other to follow. Within a subdirectory the existing flattened list "CoverFlow" convention would be used for consistency (subject to sort and filter options below). Turning off all options would yield a single, homogenous list including both the B&N Library and My Documents (sorted as configured below), while selecting only the top-level "B&N Library / My Documents" division would emulate the current default (next option would be to "Display All Subdirectories")
            3) Organization within folders would be preserved and serve as the default list view unless sorted explicitly by metadata (i.e. all metadata fields would have a "Sort By" number 1, 2, 3, etc. so the user could configure as simply as "Title" or compound like "Genre"+"Author"+ "Series Name"+ "Original Publication Date"). This would of course be configured independently for each subdirectory.
            4) Filters on both file attributes (e.g., audio vz. text formats) and metadata (including Calibre tagging support) to view only 'Nonfiction' books with ("Homestead" in the title, or by author "Kern"), or 'like current' with toggle between resident library and a "see also" list of matching bookstore content available to purchase. This would fulfill both the "More by this Author" and "Next in Series" alert requests as well...
            5) Implementing the above ensures orthogonal functionality, handling all lists alike (so My Documents inherently offers thumbnail covers and searching as well as Archiving / Hiding) while audio files would fetch album cover art, etc.
            6) Ability to download Gutenberg / library / etc. ebooks directly to device via browser over WiFi as well as archive / hide / mark files for deletion from the Nook itself; perhaps drawing an "X" atop the cover image? First time dims it, second time confirms "zap"...
            7) Named bookmarks (defaulting to "Page nn") which may also carry annotations if desired. If attached to cover, they apply to the book as a whole and could carry metadata such as "Have Read / Reading / Read Next" - ideally via a user-defined template carried as XML "under the covers". Notes and Bookmarks may be exported as XML independently. The often-requested "Go To Page" feature could prompt "Page Number ___ of 9999" on LCD but allow the entry of a named bookmark as well (with horizontally scrolling entry), dropping an implied bookmark at point of departure so hitting the Prev Page button instead of entering a page number would return to previous anchor point...
            8) Screensaver defaults to current cover unless overridden; other options include the often-requested "Recently Read" list of last 5 titles accessed, or could toggle / configure to a similar list of "Recent Bookmarks", all with one-touch quick access via LCD softbuttons "1" - "5". Perhaps option to load current Astronomy Picture Of the Day or your favorite comic from United Media? (see PIM option "l" below). Actually, could use any app as 'screensaver' static display via "save display as PNG" snapshot feature
            9) Although the ePub standard declares that ereaders "should not" execute scripting found inside ebooks, allow toggling of full scripting support at least within the browser, with Javascript, HTML5 and CSS3 so TiddlyWiki technology becomes available to users. Better than a journal or simple notetaking app! (Sony's old PRS-505 supported Javascript)
            10) Text To Speech - essential if only as a "me, too!" when compared against the Kindle
            11) Improved "Best In Class" PDF support with pan and zoom as well as landscape (should be made available for all image formats as well) - license Foxit Software's PDF viewer (as used on their late eSlick reader) if necessary; the iPod's GoodReader would be even better (offering integrated sticky notes) if adapted so that pop-ups appear on LCD
            12) Download local copy of Wikipedia for WikiReader / WikiTaxi functionality - tight integration as with dictionary (although pop-up info should be displayed on LCD rather than eink panel so as to preserve context side-by-side). Would be very, very nice if something similar could be done with the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica (refer to http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Alphabetical_index)!
            13) Virtual printer driver allowing output from desktop directly to epaper either as a new document or appending to existing document so we can carry recipes and resumes in our magic journal... (available on Samsung's E60)
            14) Reconfigure the button assignments from a list of available functions. Many people would prefer 'Page Fwd' / 'Page Back' on the dominant hand edge only. The other two could become context-sensitive, such as next/prev directory in tree or next/prev Bookmark, etc.
            15) It would be nice if the browser offered a configuration option of "plain text" mode, supressing all graphics (but still executing applicable scripts if turned on) and rendering page as simply as possible to fit on epaper - but only as a "print to eink" option, with interactivity running entirely on LCD touchpad! Opera Mobile / Unite should be adequate but also see text-mode browser (e.g. http://lynx.isc.org/lynx2.8.7/index.html)
            16) PIM applications suite (at least approaching the power of the Apple MessagePad/Newton or Hi-CE Palm apps of a decade ago) as optional downloads (so those who wish to keep their Nooks "pure" may do so) empowering content creation as well as consumption, including:
                        a. POP3 email client in addition to Google's mobile gmail
                        b. Calendar / GTD Scheduler with automatic email parsing similar to Newton,
                        c. Tornado Notes type sticky notes (in or out of calendar) with tags & alarms as well as graphic doodling equivalent to Palm's Sketchy (yes, the LCD is a tad small for freehand drawing, but still useful); option to "mesh" collaboratively with other Nooks so every member of group gets updated in realtime (like the "journeybook" of fantasy...)
                        d. Franklin Ascend homage (see http://waxandwane.org/beeswax/beeswax.html),
                        e. Word processor equivalent to FreeWrite, offering additional fonts usable for reading as well
                        f. Outliner / Mind Mapping / "thought processor" similar to FreeMind or classic More 3.1
                        g. GPS integration to Google Maps with offline caching,
                        h. Configurable database equivalent to HandyShopper (ideally using eXist as the engine),
                        i. RSS Bandit style aggregator for RSS / Atom / Open Data feeds collected as "My Info" ala' Flipboard or NewsRack - or at least full RSS/Atom configurable "Daily"
                        j. RSS / Atom / Open Data feeds may also be captured as key / value pairs or eXist XML (e.g., delivery of store prices for the UPC codes in your shopping list). Syndication would thus offer another method of "meshing" your Nook with friends...
                        k. Digital voice recorder with optional host-based Google Voice transcription into epub document,
                        l. Comic book reader with feeds from United Media, Dilbert, etc. - could tie into screensaver function as well.
                        m. Playlist support for audio files - essential for organizing the audio bible available from firefightersforchrist.org
                        n. Handwriting recognition across all apps (after all, we're accustomed to signing our names on card swipers now!)
                        o. PGP encryption option for all content
                        p. Twitter client (on LCD only, but archiving to epub doc if desired for review as document)
                        q. Stellarium virtual planetarium would be a good fit and could generate screensavers as well
                        r. Dan Bricklin's WikiCalc might be useful as well, particularly in its OLPC incarnation
                        s. Interactive Fiction is a natural fit, starting with a local Frotz interpreter - see http://www.inform-fiction.org/I7/Welcome.html & http://www.ifarchive.org
                        t. Clipboard similar to EverNote or Tomboy.
                       u. A native PostScript interpreter would be very appropriate and could even tie into #13 above by allowing use of any PostScript printer driver (with appropriate paper sizing)...
                       v. Dataviz' Documents To Go suite enabling support of M$ Office files (display and edit)
                    w. Integration with popular online services like Remember The Milk and DropBox.

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

Thats a great summary of wants for the Nook. I agree that the nook could become one of the best e-readers. I think the touch screen aspect of the nook gives a it a huge edge over other e-readers.

Although I would very much like an SDK for the nook I don't see it as trying to turn it into an iPad. I primarily use my nook for reading. However I read a lot of different things. I'd like to be able to have a nook analog for just about anything I currently read in book form or would like to read in book form. For instance I'd love to be able to browse developer documentation like (MSDN) on the nook.

Reader 4
rolivares
0 Kudos

I think that Dave50 has hit the nail.  I am so interpreted by all of his suggestions that is like we were discussing this before.  

My opinion is that all boils down to one single concept: usability.  The Nook can satisfy their users, and take over its competitors as long as it can become more usable than them. And thus B&N can sell more books and also other content and services that are going to be what the editorial business is going to be about.

I think that paper books will never disappear... completely. They will always exist, and will always be appreciated, cherished, loved, respected, as they are now. But the mass of the demand will indeed travel to other realms.  Is evident that the bulk of the books will be sold and bought in their electronic form, as they are now and as they will become, as the result of technology evolution

The same way books once derived from papyrus or parchment devices to paper ones, now they are evolving to silicon and plastic devices.  Where their graphic contents was before precious hand colored miniatures, now are high quality photographic images, and tomorrow  will be interactive animated multimedia or whatever they come out with.  We can only be sure that they will be different and that we will have a big debate about whether they are good or not.

And, as has already happened many other times, those who can adapt to the new circumstances will prevail. And those who stick to the statu quo will inexorably be forced to give way, and vanish in the fogs of the things gone.

So, the word is usability. For what? For the new ways of using books (“using” meaning something more than merely reading), of course. So :1) a usable device can not be a mere book reader, and 2) then, what does "the new ways of using books" means? Though question. Because the answer lies in the future. 

Thus, this brings in another term: flexibility. To adapt to whatever the new way of using books may become. That in turns comes to talk about openness. And standardization. Et caetera. No small challenge, by any means.

I’d dare to suggest that the improvements to come should be the ones that so accurately synthesized  Dave50.  And by any means, do not try to invent or develop in house all of them. Instead, look what is already there, and integrate or adapt the existing solutions.  This approach has two advantages: 1) shorter development time and easier user adoption, and 2) readiness to incorporate any new unforeseen trend that may appear.

And finally, please, let us non US-residents to buy e-books from the web store. I received my Nook as a gift from my son, (he doesn't live in the US) and since then I only can read free content from the web.  However, there are a lot of free e-books out there, and I also want to read other work documents. But for that, I need a more usable device. Meanwhile, I use my nook as a plain e-book reader.  And cannot read the books I would like. Which I consider is a waste of Nook’s many potentialities.

New User
RJS3
0 Kudos

1) PDF zoom and scrolling capability.

2) Landscape mode for PDF.

3) Ability to view more complex PDFs with charts and graphs.

4) Better word lookup functionality (i.e. ability to move cursor down the page multiple lines by holding down arrow and/or ability to scroll to bottom of page by hitting up arrow while at top of page.  It needs to be easier/faster to look up words, otherwise the lookup function is not useful and I end up resorting to the dictionary app on my phone.)

New User
ErinT817
0 Kudos

If this was already suggested then I apologize..(I don't have the time to read through 41 pages of suggestions) :smileyhappy:

I absolutely HATE the process for highlighting text. Needing to scroll through the document is slow and painstaking.PLEASE find a better solution to this.

New User
ErinT817
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

RJS3 wrote:

1) PDF zoom and scrolling capability.

2) Landscape mode for PDF.

3) Ability to view more complex PDFs with charts and graphs.

4) Better word lookup functionality (i.e. ability to move cursor down the page multiple lines by holding down arrow and/or ability to scroll to bottom of page by hitting up arrow while at top of page.  It needs to be easier/faster to look up words, otherwise the lookup function is not useful and I end up resorting to the dictionary app on my phone.)

My solution for the dictionary look up function (#4) is to manually type in the word in question. Works like a charm!:smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
KD67
0 Kudos

Personally I would love to be able to sideload my other books onto my Blackberry, but unfortunately the Blackberry version of the Nook software isn't as highly developed as other versions.  I love that I can sideload on my Nook, but I really need to be able to do this on my Blackberry also.

New User
JC838
0 Kudos

Finding Notes

I make lots of notes while I'm reading, but I often forget what page I put a note on.  Is there anyway to do a note search or any way to bring up a list of all the notes in a book?  The only thing I've been able to find so far is a way to bring up the notes if I'm already on the page that has the note.

New User
rk67668
0 Kudos

How about a zoom option, to help read the font issues with PDF's, the James Patterson PDF's are the worst, I seem so far.

Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien

You know what I want MOST of all for the new version? I would just like for it to be released! Not that I really NEED any upgrades on my nook, I am just curious to see what the next version will bring.

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
New User
amckenzie4

I like the nook a lot, but I wouldn't be a consumer if I didn't have opinions on how things could be made better.  Having only played with the Nook for a few hours so far, here are my thoughts:

1) Organization!  It would be nice to be able to create categories, and tag books with them.  It would also be nice to be able to add a Series name and number to a book's metadata.  For instance, I read one series that's up to around 25 books, and I can never remember what order they go in when I want to re-read them.  That's not a problem with my bookshelves at home (everything is in order already), but it's a problem on the Nook.

2) Let me put all my books in one place.  I don't like the distinction between "B&N Library" and "My Documents."  Books belong in the library, documents belong in the document section, and where I bought the book is irrelevant.

3) Deleting on the nook.  Why should I have to go to B&N's website to delete a book?  What if I'm not near my computer?  What if I don't HAVE a computer?

4) Orientation.  For most things it doesn't matter, but some of the PDF files I want to view really would work better in landscape.

I'm sure other things will occur, but those are the big ones!

Reader
trash123
0 Kudos

love the horizontal reading idea!!! please consider this with the next update

Reader 2
firefliez
0 Kudos

I agree with all these suggestions. I would love more organizational features for both my BN books downloaded and my documents. Right now it you have many books it can take a while to locate the one you wnat.

I would also like to have access to apps. No support required from BN, just to be able to use the features availabel to the android OS. Not have to carry my phone, nook and laptop all at once.

Reader 4
n9xeq
0 Kudos

I've looked at a number of the posts and I see one wish that is common in many: The ability to delete books yourself without B&N. This could be done without any upgrade to the NOOK. If B&N would use the book title instead of a number it would be a simple process. I would like to see a better way to handle PDFs. At present I view PDFs on my iPad. I do 90 % of my reading on my NOOK. The other 10 % is PDFs divided between the iPad and my iPhone. 

Navigation on the NOOK is far more difficult. This needs to be rethought and addressed.

I do not want the NOOK to be an iPad, but I do want it to be easier to use. Easy of use is what I want. I carry my NOOK, iPad and iPhone everywhere. The NOOK is for reading I don't need for browsing the web. 

Contributor
issy21
0 Kudos

Nothing new to add, but I'll get in my votes:

1. Organization/folders/integration of BN-documents.  The current system is far too unwieldy.

2. Sync across devices to Nook. 

3.  Extend battery life to the extent possible with software improvements.  I'm charging my nook constantly.  I'd be afraid to go away for a weekend, even, without the power cord.

4. Go to page number.  This would be less important if #2 is implemented.  I spend far too much time flipping around trying to find out where I left off from reading on my Touch.  This also ties into #3.  Actually #1, #2 and #4 would all help with #3.

I also wouldn't mind getting rid of icons for functions I never use. 

Contributor
Lady-Goldfyre

There are some fantastic ideas on this thread, many I didn't think of and wish I had! :smileytongue:

1.  The biggest thing I want to see are better size descriptions of what it is I am purchasing online.  I hate buying what I think is a full length paperback sized eBook only to find I really bought a short story of just a few pages.  If I was in a bookstore, I could hold the book in my hand and see how many pages there are and how big the book is.  Sometimes B&N will say "novella" or "short story" but the bulk of the time nothing is said.

2.  What I also want to see is a quick way to alert B&N that the eBook I bought is full of typos, misprints, extra chapters etc.   In that vein, it would be nice if corrections could be made and the eBook updates with the changes.

3.  I also want to be able to remove software I don't use, like the games, and use that space for more book storage. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

@Lady-Goldfyre,

All good suggestions - I just wanted to bring a couple of points you might not be aware of to your attention:

1 - Including some measure of the size of an eBook in it's description can be accomplished without an update to the NOOK software, and I hope B&N makes this change to their store.

2 - When the publisher delivers an updated eBook to B&N, you can get the new file by archiving the book, checking for new B&N content on your NOOK, unarchiving the book, and checking for new B&N content again.

3 - The NOOK's internal storage is divided into two partitions, one for the system and the other for your books, music, screensavers, etc. These partitions were created when the NOOK was made and can not be resized. Any software that B&N releases such as games, music players, etc goes into the system partition and does not affect the amount of space available to you to store your content.

Contributor
Lady-Goldfyre
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

@Lady-Goldfyre,

All good suggestions - I just wanted to bring a couple of points you might not be aware of to your attention:

2 - When the publisher delivers an updated eBook to B&N, you can get the new file by archiving the book, checking for new B&N content on your NOOK, unarchiving the book, and checking for new B&N content again.  

---If this is already possible (huzzah!) how do I know there is an updated version? Maybe update notifications should be more visible? 

3 - The NOOK's internal storage is divided into two partitions, one for the system and the other for your books, music, screensavers, etc. These partitions were created when the NOOK was made and can not be resized. Any software that B&N releases such as games, music players, etc goes into the system partition and does not affect the amount of space available to you to store your content.

-- Well darn, just like my irl bookshelves, I am always trying to find more space for books. =)

Inspired Correspondent
RodneyJT
0 Kudos

This was mentioned in another thread and I remembered it was something I wanted to add.

The ability to download documents from the browser and have them immediately available for reading.

I generally have my Nook with me a lot but not a cable to just hook to a computer always. I've been in situations where I wanted to download something for reference and quickly see it on the Nook but have to wait til I get home to sideload it. Cableless sideloading would be great.