Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

T-A
Contributor
T-A

Suggestion for B&N re Nookbooks

I have noticed that one of the biggest complaints customers have about their nookbook purchases is that they realize after they download that the "book" is really a short story or a novella. I know that you can see a file size for nookbooks, but that doesn't really equate to page length easily in the mind. Is there any way B&N can start putting the number of pages a nookbook has on the description page? Or maybe the number of pages the hard copy version of the book has/would have? I understand that due to font sizes, etc., page numbers will not be completely uniform, but it would at least give readers a more relatable comparison and idea of what to expect.

Just a thought...

Distinguished Correspondent
Sir_Vikin
0 Kudos

Re: Suggestion for B&N re Nookbooks

[ Edited ]

T-A,

Hey! The page number is available under the Product Details for the e-book (on the website).  They put it on the left hand column directly under the words Product Details (under the Overview tab), look down the list and it is listed under "Format" and above "Sales Rank", instead of being in the right hand column where it is for regular books.  An example of one of the books I am looking at is as follows: Format: NOOKbook (eBook) , 432pp

I do think though that not having it in the same location as it is for regular books is a bit confusing as personally I don't really pay attention to what size the file size is.

Anyways, hope this helps!

“We all boil at different degrees” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Correspondent
KnitKicky
0 Kudos

@Sir-Vikin

Thanks for that information:smileyhappy:! I learned something!!!   :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

Sir_Vikin wrote:

T-A,

Hey! The page number is available under the Product Details for the e-book (on the website).  They put it on the left hand column directly under the words Product Details (under the Overview tab), look down the list and it is listed under "Format" and above "Sales Rank", instead of being in the right hand column where it is for regular books.  An example of one of the books I am looking at is as follows: Format: NOOKbook (eBook) , 432pp

I do think though that not having it in the same location as it is for regular books is a bit confusing as personally I don't really pay attention to what size the file size is.

Anyways, hope this helps!

It seems that if the ebook is free, it doesn't give the number of pages, it just has the Format: NOOKbook (eBook):smileysad:  I haven't checked all of them, but for several that I have no page numbers are given.

I wish they were given for all, too!

Contributor
sheilatn
0 Kudos

I have "another" suggestion for B&N.  My Nook died yesterday and is having to be replaced.  I went to the B&N store nearby and nothing they could do helped.  It is still under the first year warranty.   Since it has to be sent back anyway, I knew it probably wouldn't work, but I couldn't resist asking the CS rep on the phone, while I was still at the B&N store,  if I could pay the difference and have it replaced with a 3G one.  The answer was no, but I still feel it is an arbitrary decision which doesn't need to be.  Instead of the $50 difference between the wifi and 3G I would gladly have paid $75 or a little more.  I made a big mistake getting the wifi version, and it could have been rectified easily.

T-A
Contributor
T-A
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info, S-V, that does help!

But like Serendip noted, it doesn't seen that all nookbooks have that page number feature. I just quickly checked 4 books, 2 from the B&N top 100, and 2 from the best books of 2010 section, and 1 out of the 4 had the page numbers. It is good to know where to look now, but I wish all books had this!

Distinguished Correspondent
Sir_Vikin
0 Kudos

T-A wrote:

Thanks for the info, S-V, that does help!

But like Serendip noted, it doesn't seen that all nookbooks have that page number feature. I just quickly checked 4 books, 2 from the B&N top 100, and 2 from the best books of 2010 section, and 1 out of the 4 had the page numbers. It is good to know where to look now, but I wish all books had this!

Glad I could help, though it appears it was a limited help, lol..Yeah I noticed the same thing this morning, I wonder if it is a B&N related issue or a Publisher related issue.. 

“We all boil at different degrees” - Ralph Waldo Emerson