Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
DiAnneInDover
Posts: 459
Registered: ‎04-14-2010

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

I'd say I rank right up there as one of the biggest Stephen King readers/fans/collectors on these boards, but I don't care if his next book is $1.99, $9.99, or $19.99...I won't be buying it (neither the ebook nor the hardcover). 

 

As long as his publisher, The Incredibly Evil Simon & Schuster, refuses to sell ebooks to libraries because they feel that it will hurt their sales numbers, I will not buy a single book of any form from his publisher.  It'll be the first King book that won't be in my bookcase. 

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

I think I've read every Stephen King book published (except for some reason the Dark Tower series).  I'll just take a wait and see attitude about purchasing the book.  I have to say, though, that with the size of most Stephen King books they're a LOT easier to handle on the Nook than in DTB format.  His books usually weigh a ton!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
BelgianAlien
Posts: 89
Registered: ‎09-03-2010

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

 

 

Stick it to them, I say, and buy that DTB if they are going to price ebooks like that. Maybe they will eventually learn.


 

Good luck with that... there's plenty of people (like me) out there who prefer the "collection of 0's and 1's" as opposed to the dust collecting space eaters that are DTB... and who are willing to pay sometimes even more than the DTB to have the convenience of having 1 nook with 800 books on it rather than a house full of bookshelves...

 

Sorry to burst your bubble.

 

Check out the "eBook Pricing" threads... you will find many people who agree with you though. To each his/her own.

-----------
Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it. ~P.J. O'Rourke
Wordsmith
Sardonicus
Posts: 380
Registered: ‎05-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE


AlanNJ wrote:

 I have to say, though, that with the size of most Stephen King books they're a LOT easier to handle on the Nook than in DTB format.  His books usually weigh a ton!


Ordinarily, that'd be true,

but this one is listed @ only "384pp". 

 

For this price, I'll wait.

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell








Correspondent
timetravel
Posts: 97
Registered: ‎03-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE


DiAnneInDover wrote:

I'd say I rank right up there as one of the biggest Stephen King readers/fans/collectors on these boards, but I don't care if his next book is $1.99, $9.99, or $19.99...I won't be buying it (neither the ebook nor the hardcover). 

 

As long as his publisher, The Incredibly Evil Simon & Schuster, refuses to sell ebooks to libraries because they feel that it will hurt their sales numbers, I will not buy a single book of any form from his publisher.  It'll be the first King book that won't be in my bookcase. 


$9.99 & 19.99 I'm with you, but I confess, I would cave at $1.99!!!  I know, I'm weak, but just with e-books.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

 


Sardonicus wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

 I have to say, though, that with the size of most Stephen King books they're a LOT easier to handle on the Nook than in DTB format.  His books usually weigh a ton!


Ordinarily, that'd be true,

but this one is listed @ only "384pp". 

 

For this price, I'll wait.


I haven't heard anything about it.  I had no idea Stephen King wrote another novella!  :smileywink:

 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
Posts: 397
Registered: ‎04-06-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE


AlanNJ wrote:

 

I haven't heard anything about it.  I had no idea Stephen King wrote another novella!  :smileywink:

 


short story collection actually :smileywink:

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Frequent Contributor
AkilahR
Posts: 101
Registered: ‎12-12-2009
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

Funny, I'd actually pay 11 cents more to save the planet from more wasted paper. I don't believe that a paper book is more "real" than an ebook, they are just different mediums of encoding digitial data (think about it, words are digital) for digestion by the brain. Besides, I'm out of shelf space...

Contributor
annoyingboy
Posts: 20
Registered: ‎05-22-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

I used to feel that way about LPs when CDs started to take over. When I got used to CDs, I felt that way about digital music. I think people are just used to the media that they grew up with.

 

I just want to read the book. I don't care about owning a physical copy anymore. What does that get me? All it does is take up space.

Frequent Contributor
Hummey
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎05-14-2010

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

I hate to be a wet blanket, and I too purchased my Nook when all new books were supposed to be $9.99.  But, I really didn't buy my Nook to save money on books, but for the convenience of the device.  

 

I get really grumpy when an eBook I want would cost me more than the paper copy.  I believe though, that as e-readers become more of a consumer owned product, more rule than exception, the prices of electronic books will be identical to printed material.  Just like the music industry, the publishers want to make as much money as possible, and won't be willing to lose much because folks have moved on to electronic books.

 

These should be cheaper because of the lack of material, production, and transportation costs, but this isn't proving to be true.  I have read 39 books since New Year's week and have another 20 in my Nook waiting to be consumed.  These eBooks take no shelf room and my wife no longer grumps at me for keeping a library (or several) stacked up because I hate getting rid of books.

 

This is just a better format for me and I will pay the same for this format as printed without too much complaint.  

 

My 2cents worth.  

 

Be well,

Tony

Tony

"As for me, I know that my Redeemer lives, and at the last he will take His stand on the earth" Job 19:25
Contributor
aronan3
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎09-11-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE


ABthree wrote:

 


gqb wrote:

Some people like to have it ready to go on midnight of the release date. 


 

Yep, that's why I pre-order.  And I ALWAYS do it, unless the price is crazy. :smileywink:


Heh.  As someone who has to get up and go to work most mornings, getting a new book I want to read at midnight never seems like a very good idea.  The fact that I can now get such a book while lying in bed rather than having to go wait in line for it has not made any difference to me on this point. I can see doing the pre-order if it is going to save money, but not for any other reason.

 

Then again, as someone who chose the Nook because it lets me get ebooks out of the library, I am probably not particularly empathetic to the concept of instant gratification in terms of books.  I just keep a bunch of books on my Nook so I always have something new (to me) to read.  The fact that some of those books have been released for a full day, or several weeks or several years, or even many decades, is not particularly pertinent to me. .

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
Posts: 4,123
Registered: ‎01-27-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

 


aronan3 wrote:

ABthree wrote:

 


gqb wrote:

Some people like to have it ready to go on midnight of the release date. 


 

Yep, that's why I pre-order.  And I ALWAYS do it, unless the price is crazy. :smileywink:


Heh.  As someone who has to get up and go to work most mornings, getting a new book I want to read at midnight never seems like a very good idea.  The fact that I can now get such a book while lying in bed rather than having to go wait in line for it has not made any difference to me on this point. I can see doing the pre-order if it is going to save money, but not for any other reason.

 


And THAT, as my father used to say, is why they make chocolate and vanilla. :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
PatDCO
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎12-25-2009
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

I have collected Stephan King books for a long time. The problem is not B&N it's Mr. King. He is a publishing control freak.

 

He does things like signing a bazillion copies of first editions and then control their release. This drives down the value of all un-controlled 1st editions to peanuts.

 

I have not seen this type of tiny price difference for any other author.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
Posts: 758
Registered: ‎01-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

[ Edited ]

PatDCO wrote:

I have collected Stephan King books for a long time. The problem is not B&N it's Mr. King. He is a publishing control freak.

 

He does things like signing a bazillion copies of first editions and then control their release. This drives down the value of all un-controlled 1st editions to peanuts.

 

I have not seen this type of tiny price difference for any other author.


First off, you are replying to a 3 + month old post. 

 

Having said that, the nook price is $12.99, the hardcover $15.47.  I know that does sounds like a 'tiny' price difference to you, but I'll gladly save the $2.48.  BTW that is actually a 19% difference (19%!)

Reader 2
sleo
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎05-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: THIS IS AN INSULT TO MY INTELLIGIENCE

Good point, John.

 

When we buy a book, are we buying paper and ink and pictures and covers?  I think not.  We're buying stories or information or history or politics or whatever words and ideas are on the paper and between the covers.

 

I happen to think an author deserves to get paid whether I read his/her book in eformat or on paper.  My Nook is convenient, easy to read, reliable.  I can get a book at the push of a button.  I don't have to go out in the snow or rain to get it.  I can make the print any size I want.  All I have to do is keep it dry, not sit on it or step on it, plug it in and charge it.  I love my Nook and I'm delighted so many books are available for it.

 

Have you tried getting ebooks from your library?  You can, you know.