Reader
GDRattin

Tell the publisher you want this in NOOKbook format

If you look up a book on B&N online and it's not available on the nook there's a link you can click that says "Tell the publisher you want this in NOOKbook format" you click on it then it says Barnes and Noble has notified the publisher...

I'm really interested to know how this works. Is there a data base somewhere that keeps count of how many people click that link or what?

Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

Re: Tell the publisher you want this in NOOKbook format

[ Edited ]

While I don't know their techincal setup, clicking that link does database your interest in an e-book version and it is sent to publshers.. thoguh I think in aggregates weekly or monthly (probably something like that)

I'd personally rather hammer down the door with their marketing email and have them all sent their (hundreds or thousands) to shut them down and have them make it availalbe on ebook..  But instead they get a weekly/monthly report that xxx people want this (which they mostly ignore, though not all)

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that they have to explicitely opt-in to get them.  Or check online, but if you are just seeing spreadsheet reports.. 1000 is the same as 1.  They only care about the bottom line but even if a few hundred bought the ebook, you made your damn money back.

And that one conversion pretty much lasts a lifetime.

I amazed that all publishers are not rushing to ebook their DTB's.  One time effort... perpetual income.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
New User
abc22
0 Kudos

Ok I want to know why there aren't any Black magazines for the nook. It's funny how you purchase a nook from Barnes and nobles and the sells rep says what are you mostly wanting from the nook.  I say for my magazines of choice and the assure you that you can get any magazines. Come to find out that was a lie.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528
0 Kudos

You may have a better response posting your comment here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-newsstand/bd-p/NOOKnewstand

There is a thread there especially for requests like yours.

Good luck.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
KingAl

Theriot_Publishing wrote:

I amazed that all publishers are not rushing to ebook their DTB's.  One time effort... perpetual income.

I would assume that they don't have enough staff to do it. Heck, they don't even seem to have enough staff to proofread the ebooks they already put out...

Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell

They could job that kind of work out (even to India) and it would cost next to nothing. If original written content can be produced on the cheap, surely transcribing, proofreading and formatting can be, too.

I've noticed that many books that were unavailable when I got my Nook almost a year ago are now on the B&N site.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

abc22 wrote:

Ok I want to know why there aren't any Black magazines for the nook. It's funny how you purchase a nook from Barnes and nobles and the sells rep says what are you mostly wanting from the nook.  I say for my magazines of choice and the assure you that you can get any magazines. Come to find out that was a lie.

So let the publisher know that you want a magazine in digital format.  B&N doesn't publish the magazines, they make available what is out there when they have agreements or contracts with the magazine publishers.  

Contributor
hermionerules1844
0 Kudos

I have also always wondered how this works.  I get so frustrated when a book is not available in NOOKbook format.  I wonder if this actually does anything.  So far, it has not made any of the book I want, but can't get in NOOKbook format available in NOOKbook format.  I have an entire list of books I'm waiting for to become available in NOOKbook format since I now do most of my novel reading on my B&N nook apps.  I also plan to get a nook Color and I am hesitating because a lot of the books I want to read are not available in NOOKbook format.  I know that some of my friends who use the Kindle also complain about this.

Correspondent
tabascobaby

It has for me. (Although they may have been in the process) I have notified them about 3-4 books asking for it to be in nook format. Unfortunately by the time they were released on nook I had already gotten the hard copy :smileysad:

Bibliophile
bklvr896

hermionerules1844 wrote:

I have also always wondered how this works.  I get so frustrated when a book is not available in NOOKbook format.  I wonder if this actually does anything.  So far, it has not made any of the book I want, but can't get in NOOKbook format available in NOOKbook format.  I have an entire list of books I'm waiting for to become available in NOOKbook format since I now do most of my novel reading on my B&N nook apps.  I also plan to get a nook Color and I am hesitating because a lot of the books I want to read are not available in NOOKbook format.  I know that some of my friends who use the Kindle also complain about this.

It depends on the book and the publisher and whether or not they feel there is a market for the eBook version.  This is especially true for older books, the publisher has to believe there are enough people who will buy the eBook version to make it worth while to convert the book into eBook format.  If you don't think the the tell the publisher option works, send an email or a letter to the publisher and/or the author.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nerdgirljenn
0 Kudos

The other issue is that, sad to say, some of the authors have passed away and getting rights to the books are difficult...for instance, my favourite author, David Eddings has passed away (as did his wife and co-author)...in some instances, I don't think the estates are settled...

Another book I'm waiting for is books by Mary Stewart Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy .  It does not appear that she has passed, but that she is a older (born in 1916) and getting backlists may be difficult...oh, and sometimes the authors are willing but their publishers are not as in the instance of one of my other favourite authors, Carol Nelson Douglas.  Her current books are published in e-book format, but herSix of Swords (Sword and Circlet Series #1)   are not (yes, I've contacted the author, and she has responded to me, I was shocked, and awed that she took the time to answer, as I love her work)...

I really hope that they can release more books in e-book format...I remain ever hopeful...

"The earth laughs in flowers."~Emerson
"Where there is love, there is life." ~Ghandi
Reader
BrucieBB
0 Kudos

I can't find this link. Where is the link on the B&N Website?

Thanks.

BrucieBB

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

BrucieBB wrote:

I can't find this link. Where is the link on the B&N Website?

Thanks.

BrucieBB

It's on the product page for any printed book that isn't also available as a NookBook.  Search for Harry Potter and look at any of those pages, you'll see the link.

Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
0 Kudos

Another book I'm waiting for is books by Mary Stewart Mary Stewart's Merlin Trilogy.  It does not appear that she has passed, but that she is a older (born in 1916) and getting backlists may be difficult...

Legacy  

The good news, the books are available, the bad news, they are apparently poorly formatted.

Frequent Contributor
TogetherForGood
0 Kudos

Is the "Tell the publisher you'd like this as a NOOK Book" feature gone now?

www.boundtogetherforgood.blogspot.com