Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

Thanks, Long Time Nook Community Posters

I just wanted you to know that you're appreciated.  When I bought my Nook in June I was unsure whether I had made the right decision.  The long time posters to this message board set me on the right path and I soon realized what a great device I had purchased.

Unfortunately there have been newcomers that have posted to this Board with angry rants.  Some had a point.  Many were speaking out of ignorance.  Others had an arrogant sense of entitlement. Some gave the long time posters the benefit of the doubt and listened, but many didn't and made ridiculous arguments.  Sometimes the long time posters reacted with impatience and may have used the word "troll" once or twice.  Big deal.

I've said it before, folks who are ultra sensitive to "tone" should not be reading message boards.

Again, thanks to the long time Nook community posters for all you do for us Nook owners.

Wordsmith
shilohMD

Re: Thanks, Long Time Nook Community Posters

Andyfrom VA:  Well said!  I echo your gratitude to the veterans on this Board who indeed go the extra mile, and are patient beyond belief.

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
PBReilley

I'd like to add my gratitude as well. I bought my NOOK last August, after researching the various e-readers and did in fact RTFM, but also logged on here to read all of the information so generously posted by many long-time members. My thanks to all!  

Wordsmith
Tweedledee

[ Edited ]

I'll add my 2 cents, joined in July of last year, thank you to the long term posters and folks who have made owing my nook and now NookColor a great experience. 

I have come away from these boards better able to appreciate the device and when having moments of frustration, find solutions.  Yes I believe I was told to use the search button, and ya know what.....it works....TADA  :smileyhappy:

So to all of the long term posters on this board, my hat is off to you, you are patient beyond belief.  

If you want to get snarky with a troll or two, please enjoy, you earned it (I would not ban your IP address).  For those who are sensitive, message boards are not for the faint of heart, step back, take a few, and do not take it personally.   

This is a tame board, the long time posters are voluteers, they take their own time to assist, so if one of them gets a little short, well, in my book if that is the worst thing that happens to you that day, you've had a great day.

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Sir_Vikin

[ Edited ]

To those members that have gone out of their way to help others with their nooks-

I just wanted to say that I too applaud you and what you have done and still continue to do. What you are doing is a service to B&N and the community as a whole and one that has overall been underappreciated.  I understand too, that it can be stressful and time consuming to attempt to assist so many people and the various personalities that come to these boards on an almost daily basis looking for help and to vent. 

Please do not stop doing what you do, but I do ask that you please remember that we are prone to having bad days as well and to realize that while not everybody may say "thank you", that you are all appreciated whether you realize it or not.. 

Thank you!

“We all boil at different degrees” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

@AndyfromVA

@shilohMD

@PBReilley

@Tweedledee

Thanks back at ya!  :smileyvery-happy:  You guys and others like you (although a couple of you are getting on to being veterans yourselves!) are among the friends that I for one hang around here for.

ESPECIALLY THE ONES WHO RTFM!!!!!!!  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

@ AndyfromVA,

Great post.  

Let's see what lesson we can learn here, kiddies.  :smileytongue:  You get what you give - or - you reap what you sow.  If you come on here looking for "blood," don't be surprised if some of your own is shed.

If there was no "tone" on these boards, wouldn't be as entertaining.  :smileywink:

I add my "thanks to the long time Nook community posters!"

MegSLP

The world (and this board) would be so boring if everyone thought and wrote the same all the time. 

I've been on message boards for almost 4 years now.  In my experience, it is always the "oldies" who get the label of "Meanie".  Some people just don't want to hear opinions.  That's all fine and dandy if they realize that I like to type my opinions!  :smileyvery-happy:

ABthree
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:
  1. If you don't like spinach then don't eat it?

They're all good, but THAT one should be written in letters of gold somewhere.  :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
msmoonlite

I totally agree with the OP. I'm still a newbie, but the things that I've read, especially the book discussions have been invaluable.

I think that people who are super sensitive on the boards need to get over it. These are anonymous boards after all and if you don't like what someone has to say stop reading their posts.

Correspondent
Rocknsoul

Yep, there is great info to be found here, with the vast majority of posts friendly and helpful. More than almost any other board I've seen.

Must be all the reading. Open minds are a good thing.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

Am I imagining a difference in this thread?

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Sardonicus wrote:

You are definitely not imagining things.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nallia wrote:

Sardonicus wrote:

You are definitely not imagining things.

LOL

Oh well . . . I guess there's no moderation in moderation.:smileyvery-happy:

From now on, only happy thoughts will be allowed.:smileyhappy:

Life continues.:smileyindifferent:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

The Middle East needs Moderators like these!

LOL:smileyvery-happy:

I just noticed that the 'Sensitive Posters' thread is gone.

Remarkable. :smileyindifferent:

- Randall Jarrell

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: The Middle East needs Moderators like these!

I'm trying to figure out why some of the posts were deleted and for the life of me it eludes me.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Well apparently the mods don't like me.  :smileywink:  They deleted my posts and removed associated laurels without any warning or communication whatsoever.  

I guess the politically correct nicey nice people will win this battle because I'm not going to take the time to post anything if it can be gone at any given moment without even the consideration of a message from the person removing those posts explaining why it was done.

So this may be goodbye for me.  I love the board but I don't play these games.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

That would be because at least one of us sensitive types complained to the moderator and they agreed.
ABthree
0 Kudos

Sardonicus wrote:

Yes, the Thought Police seem to have woken up for a while and made their presence felt -- by absence. 

Too bad that they drop right off again when somebody needs help with a technical issue.  :smileysad:

-- St. Basil the Great+