Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: The Middle East needs Moderators like these!

AlanNJ wrote:

Well apparently the mods don't like me.  :smileywink:  They deleted my posts and removed associated laurels without any warning or communication whatsoever.  

I guess the politically correct nicey nice people will win this battle because I'm not going to take the time to post anything if it can be gone at any given moment without even the consideration of a message from the person removing those posts explaining why it was done.

So this may be goodbye for me.  I love the board but I don't play these games.

They deleted my post also and it had nothing to do with anything. It was just a list of platitudes. The post I was responding to was also deleted. Go figure.

Every forum I have ever dealt with moderators have been whimsical in their use of authority.  They leave flagrant violations of their stated policy then remove other posts that appear innocuous.

I would repeat one of those platitudes that apply to this situation but then this post would probably be deleted. :smileyvery-happy:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

I don't mind the posts being deleted.  I DO mind that they were deleted without notification.   Unless they tell you what rule was violated how can you avoid doing it again?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I don't mind the posts being deleted.  I DO mind that they were deleted without notification.   Unless they tell you what rule was violated how can you avoid doing it again?

That's the point Alan there are no rules. There never are.

AlanNJ

I might be rebellious and cantankerous but I do follow the rules if I know what they are and what has been violated.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree

earthangelrn2003 wrote:
That would be because at least one of us sensitive types complained to the moderator and they agreed.

I usually welcome a new poster, but I think I'll forego the pleasure this time.

This looks a lot like a confession -- or a boast.  Either way, an inauspicious start.  :smileyindifferent:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003
0 Kudos

I am not a new poster nor am I boasting. He wanted to know why the thread was deleted.
AlanNJ

[ Edited ]

Ummm, you have a total of 3 posts unless you have multiple accounts.

ABthree

[ Edited ]

earthangelrn2003 wrote:
I am not a new poster nor am I boasting. He wanted to know why the thread was deleted.

Let me clarify:  I make it a point to welcome anyone I see with fewer than five posts, if they either ask a question or offer a constructive comment. 

I've always thought it the kindly and appropriate thing to do.  :smileyhappy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Wordsmith
MWorrell

AlanNJ wrote:

Well apparently the mods don't like me.  :smileywink:  They deleted my posts and removed associated laurels without any warning or communication whatsoever.  

I guess the politically correct nicey nice people will win this battle because I'm not going to take the time to post anything if it can be gone at any given moment without even the consideration of a message from the person removing those posts explaining why it was done.

Since you have no stomach for sensitive types, hopefully you can take this in the constructive manner in which it is intended:

This is a moderated thread, and it is owned by B&N. Since I repeatedly recommend and post active links to a Nook case sold on Amazon.com, and my posts are not tampered with, I consider them fairly liberal in what they permit.

Your post was a rant against some B&N customers, the very customers that they WANT to come here and get involved.

If I owned a commercial forum, one provided by me for the benefit and enjoyment of ALL of my customers, and one of those customers went on a hostile tirade, attacking other of my customers for no reason other than the sheer enjoyment of lashing out, I would probably delete that post, too.

You could call it either way, but your post was begging for deletion. No offense meant, hopefully none taken. I generally enjoy your posts, but I wasn't too impressed by that thread.

Frequent Contributor
earthangelrn2003

That antiwelcome was neither kind or appropriate. Have posted previously just updated all my online accounts to reflect same name. Gmail etc. Have seen too many rude comments from people responding to others posting to want to post much myself.
AlanNJ

[ Edited ]

MWorrell wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

Since you have no stomach for sensitive types, hopefully you can take this in the constructive manner in which it is intended:

This is a moderated thread, and it is owned by B&N. Since I repeatedly recommend and post active links to a Nook case sold on Amazon.com, and my posts are not tampered with, I consider them fairly liberal in what they permit.

Your post was a rant against some B&N customers, the very customers that they WANT to come here and get involved.

If I owned a commercial forum, one provided by me for the benefit and enjoyment of ALL of my customers, and one of those customers went on a hostile tirade, attacking other of my customers for no reason other than the sheer enjoyment of lashing out, I would probably delete that post, too.

You could call it either way, but your post was begging for deletion. No offense meant, hopefully none taken. I generally enjoy your posts, but I wasn't too impressed by that thread.

As I said I have no problem with the post being pulled.  My problem is with the fact that I wasn't informed, warned, or otherwise told the specific reasons why.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

I started this thread because I felt long time posters like AlanNJ were getting unfairly criticized and I still feel that way.  I don't think newcomers are treated poorly at all unless they have come to this Board with the goal of tearing down the Nook.  I hope the moderators realize that it's kind of important that this message board present a positive image of the Nook.  Those who build up the Nook, rather than tear it down, should be praised, and that's what I intended to do.

AlanNJ, I hope you don't leave this forum as I think you're a tremendous asset.

AlanNJ

Thank you Andy.  I appreciate your support!  :smileyhappy:

SLevine

Hi All-

Here is a link to our Community Guidelines that should help to clarify the types of conversation we encourage and discourage within these forums:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

As always, feel free to message a Moderator if you have questions or concerns about conduct within this community.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

SLevine wrote:

Hi All-

Here is a link to our Community Guidelines that should help to clarify the types of conversation we encourage and discourage within these forums:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Help-Book-Clubs-My-B-N/Book-Clubs-User-Guidelines/td-p/5

As always, feel free to message a Moderator if you have questions or concerns about conduct within this community.

And by your own guidelines, the other threads should have been removed as well.

PBReilley

AndyfromVA wrote:

I started this thread because I felt long time posters like AlanNJ were getting unfairly criticized and I still feel that way.  I don't think newcomers are treated poorly at all unless they have come to this Board with the goal of tearing down the Nook.  I hope the moderators realize that it's kind of important that this message board present a positive image of the Nook.  Those who build up the Nook, rather than tear it down, should be praised, and that's what I intended to do.

AlanNJ, I hope you don't leave this forum as I think you're a tremendous asset.

What Andy said.  

As far as some individuals' tender feelings being hurt, real or imagined, if moderators must insert a "play nice" post here and there or privately caution a poster, dandy, although IMHO Alan's original post was great. 

But to just delete posts with no explanation? THAT is offensive, moderators. 

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

[ Edited ]
ABthree

@Nallia

I second everything in the preceding post.

I could live with selective enforcement, which we're seeing.

I could live with lowest common denominator thinking, which we're experiencing.

I could live with the loudest complainers being cosseted, which is happening.

I could live with the Admins putting their collective thumb on the scale of one side of an argument and pressing down hard, which is the state of affairs today.

I could live with all these things, if the Adminstrators were still intervening to help people who are having real problems, technical and service, with B&N.

That used to be common practice, and redeemed everything else.  I haven't seen it happen once since the first of the year.  If I posted a list of links from the Classic Support board alone of people near despair and being ignored, it would add pages to this thread.

The last point is what changes the entire scenario from a travesty not without its humorous points to an outrage, with nothing humorous about it at all.

-- St. Basil the Great+
AlanNJ

[ Edited ]

I have moved my response so as not to taint the original intent of this thread.  My post can be found in Nallia's post to the admins.

Thank you.

Beth_DeEtt

In every forum I've ever participated in, it's been my observation that the long-time posters do much of the immediate customer support and FAQ handling on a company's behalf, usually out of love for the product itself and a wish to share their enthusiasm.  Sooner or later, however, a first-time poster comes along who fits one of these characterizations:

1)  The poster is a troll (a person looking to cause a disruption for the attention or a shill paid by a competing company to sabotage a competitor's reputation);

2)  The poster is having legitimate product issues but is unwilling to do anything (including reading the manual) to educate him/herself about the product;

3)  The poster has unreasonable expectations of how a company should address the poster's issues (entitlement) and feels personally attacked when informed about the available methods of addressing those issues;

4)  The poster has mistaken impressions of what exactly the forum is (i.e., a message board of fellow customers as opposed to a live chat line staffed by company employees) and heaps company-directed invective upon volunteers who are only trying to help with the problem.

It takes the patience of Job to deal with one of these, let alone a perpetual stream of them, day after day after day.  As far as the helpfulness and level of discourse is concerned, the B&N Nook Boards have been far, far above the standard one sees on the Internet.

Unfortunately, though, the types of posters I've listed above are especially prone to have a strong personal reaction to any real or perceived lack of "respect" (the definition of which, for them, includes being told that they are wrong or that they are not going to get their way).  They usually strike back in a way that's hard not to reply to in kind, and they also are the ones that, in my opinion, are the first to run to the "report abuse" button.

And this is the part I can't explain:  In every board I've seen, the moderators tend to take the side of the new poster, because the company (justafiably) "wants to facilitate an open and respectful exchange of ideas" (not B&N's words, but a paraphrase of mod speak from my own experiences).  The cause of the report seems never to be investigated in context, and only the long-time poster gets his/her comments deleted.  This hardly seems a fair way to me of handling a person who has invested a sustained presence in a forum and who, by helping other customers whose only recouse would have been to call the company, has saved the company a considerable cost in customer service overhead.

@AndyfromVA:  Thank you for starting this thread.  I know that my own NOOK experience would be the poorer without all the help, information, and tips I've gotten from the more experienced members of this forum.  And I tip my hat to them!  :smileyhappy: