Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
nookfan249
0 Kudos

The Daily

Am I missing something or does anyone else think The Daily is pretty useless?

Correspondent
dElaphant
0 Kudos

Re: The Daily

Sometimes it's amusing.

My impression is that they are trying to be a "lite" version of The New Yorker. Which is fine, but they need more content. I rarely find it worth the bother of checking to see if there is something worth reading there. 

Correspondent
statomattic
0 Kudos

It's definitely not always useless. A couple of weeks back when I went into The Daily, a message popped up in it that B&N was giving away a legitimate, quality book ("Flawless" by Andrew Scott Selby) on the Nook for one day! I downloaded it immediately. Ever since then, I've made a habit of checking it once a day since you never know when something cool will pop up. In recent weeks they've also been including a "More in Store" update on Mondays, which is nice to have to get a preview of the content you'd find in store. Finally, if you subscribe to a newspaper or magazine, it will appear in The Daily when a new issue arrives.

Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I look forward to The Daily. I only wish there was a little more.

What I'd love to see are two comics one political and the other humorous.

But then I remind myself that B&N is a book store. :smileytongue: hehe

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I generally enjoy reading Grin&Tonic in the Daily.

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

I've begun looking a little more often at the daily since they've added a little more info. to it.  Several weeks ago, when the updated software was coming out, they had an article about it in the daily just before it happened.  Now, if we could just delete Dave Barry....

Contributor
BeckyAK
0 Kudos

I kinda like it. I thought the article this week about the iMe analogy was pretty amusing and I like the more in store info. I don't check it everyday, but it's nice to have.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Most of the content is taken from the B&N Review and Daybook web pages

http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/

http://bnreview.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Daybook/bg-p/daybook

It looks like they are going for a "lite" version of them on the nook -- They just need to do a whole lot better at picking what to put on it.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Yes, I noticed that these were pretty much the same as those two pages.

It would be nice if you could subscribe to specific features.

There was also a huge long thread about them pushing announcements and tech tips out to the daily.  First B&N would have to go to counseling to get over their fear of announcements, and then they would have to find someone to write the tech tips.

Second only to Apple, B&N has to be the most uncommunicative company I've ever dealt with.

Reader
DonnaIsme
0 Kudos

I read "Daybook" every day. And check the specials. I like the Daily.

Wordsmith
steffiebaby140
0 Kudos

I like checking the Grin&Tonic, it can sometimes be very funny.  And its perfect to read in the 5 minutes before my bus leaves for work in the morning so I usually check it every day.  And like another poster said, you never know when something will pop up and offer you a really good ebook for free or something else really cool. 

In a perfect world the chicken would be able to cross the road without his intentions being questioned.
Reader
matthalley
0 Kudos

I don't understand where "Your New Nook" and "Nook Tips" are coming from.  Are they feedsfrom something called Daybook?  Can I make them go away?  Thanks!

Correspondent
EastCoastBird
0 Kudos

I bet you wouldn't be calling it useless when you see v1.4 or v2.0 sitting in there...  :smileyhappy:

Although they are few and far between...  I get your point -- more robust content would be nice.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

Referring to The Daily as "useless" is amazingly polite.

I have ingested salted crackers that weren't as dry.

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Correspondent
lisat96

It's definitely not useless today.  I just downloaded the free copy of Robin Hobb's Dragon Keeper that I saw on the Daily.  Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
rlarsen462

Has there ever been an official response as to why we can't delete all the help guides and Dave Barry and such?

Seems pointlessly draconian to give the end user next to no control over certain content on the device.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus
0 Kudos

>>It's definitely not useless today.  I just downloaded the free copy of Robin Hobb's Dragon Keeper that I saw on the Daily.<<

Okay.  I was not aware that I might be missing "free" stuff.  I'll try and remember to check more often.  I usually only check on Free Fridays.

(I still maintain that The Daily content is pretty dry reading . . . for my tastes, anyway.)

Thank you, LisaT

for the heads-up.

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Correspondent
LadyTessie
0 Kudos

I definitely do not check the Daily daily so I usually enjoy it. Couldn't hurt to expand a bit but it's not a go to place for me.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Speaking of Dave Barry....

Why does the date on that article frequently change, but the content remains the same??

Its almost like B&N is using that as a measuring device to check "The Daily" usage by counting downloads, or as a test to see if the network is working.  

I can see delivering the new manual with each new release, and not allowing it to be deleted for a couple months (after all, its very small).  There are far too many people that refuse to read it even when the nook pushes it in their face.  

kp1
Frequent Contributor
kp1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dave Barry finally, FINALLY, went away on my nook.  I think around the time the newest software version came out.  I take it some of you still have it?