Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

The importance of e-book backups

Yawn, you've heard it from me before: don't rely on B&N (or anyone else) to keep your only backups of your e-books. B&N doesn't, and can't, guarantee that you'll always be able to redownload everything.

Why it's news: Over the past week, reports have been surfacing of Amazon accounts being taken over by hackers, quite possibly using passwords acquired from some of the well-publicized hacks at places like Sony. Amazon's response has been to completely disable the compromised accounts, blocking all Kindle e-books in the accounts. Amazon says that they can't move Kindle e-books to a different Amazon account. They reportedly are making financial restitution for the lost e-books, but that's not always satisfactory.

By all previous reports, B&N also is unable to move e-books to a different account. If your B&N account becomes unusable, whether through hacker attack or whatever, you almost certainly will lose access to your online NOOKbook library.

Back up your e-books. (Oh, and think about changing your passwords. Unfortunately, here at B&N that means unregistering and reregistering our NOOKs, thereby losing all shelves, current page, bookmarks, highlights, and notes.)

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC

Re: The importance of e-book backups

Sound advice, for anything digital media for that matter (downloaded music, video, ebooks - anything that you wish to ensure is always available to you).

The password thing does irk me though.  In order to use the store, we must allow them to keep our credit card information on their servers.  But, I am unable, without a lot of grief and effort on my part, to try to protect my personal information by simply regularly changing my password.  Given how often commercially maintained personal information databases are cracked into, this sort of thing should be more thoroughly thought out before offering a service like this.

Frequent Contributor
ph10
0 Kudos

Good advice!

Thanks Doug!

Contributor
mysteryk33

My email is one that was leaked and I changedmy password but I did not unregister it first. It took it a few days to realize the nook and the website password didn't match and my nook prompted me to change it.
New User
Skeptic_dreamer
0 Kudos

Wait a minite. Nooks are not directly hooked to accounts like kindles are?  You have to deregister the nook when you change account settings?  This does not make sense.  I assumed they worked like kindles do.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@MikeNC:

You do not have to deregister a nook when you change your password. It will prompt you for the new password ONCE the next time you download/purchase/open a book on your nook.

You do not have to deregister your nook when you change your CC#. It will prompt you for your new CC# ONCE the next time you download/purchase/open a book on your nook.

You DO have to deregister your nook if you change your email address and reregister it to the new email address.  This is because, while the account is the same, the login for that account has changed and the device will not be able to "shake hands" with the server.

It really should not be a hassle unless you change emails often, and you really shouldn't have to.

On topic:  I agree backups are useful :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Raptor9458
0 Kudos

And how does one backup a B&N eBook, without keeping everything unarchived, and on the Nook's memory?

I love my N2E!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Raptor9458 wrote:

And how does one backup a B&N eBook, without keeping everything unarchived, and on the Nook's memory?

Download Nook for PC, sync it with your BN account and then make sure you download all the books, they typcially don't all download once you sync it.  That will store all the books on your computer.  You can then copy that folder to a backup drive or DVD or something, to have  2nd backup.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

@MikeNC:

You do not have to deregister a nook when you change your password. It will prompt you for the new password ONCE the next time you download/purchase/open a book on your nook.

You do not have to deregister your nook when you change your CC#. It will prompt you for your new CC# ONCE the next time you download/purchase/open a book on your nook.

You DO have to deregister your nook if you change your email address and reregister it to the new email address.  This is because, while the account is the same, the login for that account has changed and the device will not be able to "shake hands" with the server.

It really should not be a hassle unless you change emails often, and you really shouldn't have to.

Interesting.  The N1E user guide specifically states that you must unregister your Nook to change your password.  Are you saying that this is not the case?

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

Awhile back I had to use the "forgot password" function to reset my password, this is how my nook behaved afterward. I would assume that changing your password on the account screen would behave the same way but suppose I could be wrong
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:
Awhile back I had to use the "forgot password" function to reset my password, this is how my nook behaved afterward. I would assume that changing your password on the account screen would behave the same way but suppose I could be wrong

Okay, I've confirmed it does indeed work that way on a NOOK 3G 1.7. So at least for that device, it's a documentation problem rather than a software problem.

Thanks for the information.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Schwa wrote:

Okay, I've confirmed it does indeed work that way on a NOOK 3G 1.7. So at least for that device, it's a documentation problem rather than a software problem.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks Doug, that's good to know.  I wonder if that is one of those minor update things changed in 1.7 or if it's always been that way.  The User Guide is still 1.5.  I have updated to 1.7 yet.  I rarely turn on WiFi, so it just keeps reminding me.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Schwa wrote:

@MikeNC:

Maybe that is how it is supposed to work, but it did not work at all like that when I changed my CC#.  I was being prompted separately for each and every book to enter my old credit card number to open the book.  I had to de-register, re-register, then manually download most of my entire library again (the first five or so books downloaded automatically, but the other 60-odd nook books I owned then, I had to download each one separately).  It was a total PITA, and completely ridiculous.  Now that I have nearly twice as many B&N books, I hope it was just a glitch and it works as you say.  My CC# will expire early next year, and my new card always comes with a wholly new account number.

I do have all my B&N content backed up on my MacBook Pro via the Nook application, so if it does happen again I can just sideload everything rather that have to manually download everything on the device.

P.S.  This was quite awhile ago too, not recently.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I think for cc# changes, you just need to archive the books and redownload them. They should then download with the updated info.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:
I think for cc# changes, you just need to archive the books and redownload them. They should then download with the updated info.

I haven't run into that.  I had to change my cc number in December and, as I recall, I haven't had to enter the card number, new or old, at all.  It seems to remember both card numbers because I know I have books that were downloaded with the old card and others with the new card, and I haven't run into any problems opening the books.

I just went to a book I know was downloaded under the old cc number and it opens without a problem, so does the new one I just purchased with the new credit card.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238

bklvr896 wrote:

deemure wrote:

I haven't run into that.  I had to change my cc number in December and, as I recall, I haven't had to enter the card number, new or old, at all.  It seems to remember both card numbers because I know I have books that were downloaded with the old card and others with the new card, and I haven't run into any problems opening the books.

I just went to a book I know was downloaded under the old cc number and it opens without a problem, so does the new one I just purchased with the new credit card.

This has been my experience as well, and I've changed my CC# twice since Feb.2010.

I have also not needed to reregister my N1E, NC, or N2E after changing my password--I change it every 3-4 months on all devices and websites.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Nallia wrote:

This has been my experience as well, and I've changed my CC# twice since Feb.2010.

I have also not needed to reregister my N1E, NC, or N2E after changing my password--I change it every 3-4 months on all devices and websites.

That explains why I can't access your account any more... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
dani-desi
0 Kudos

Not to sound stupid, but how do I snyc Nook for PC? I've seen the option on my Nook, but can't seem to find it on my Nook for PC, or on my B & N account. Thanks

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr

Mine usually syncs when launched.  To do it manually see below:

Contributor
dani-desi
0 Kudos

Thanks cbtengr, appreciate that you got back to me so soon. Have a good night.