Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: The new kindle...Here it is

mykoffee wrote:

Alley415 wrote:

But, for someone who doesn't care if epub dominates or not, they may not need to shop elsewhere.  For many, Amazon has by far a better selection of books.  Often, I find that the books at varying companies are all the same in common.  (Of course there are always exceptions to that).  But, as of today, Amazon has over 667,000 books.  That isn't too bad for one retailer on their own. 

And they will have to discard their library if they move on to another reader.  No thanks! 

Otherwise,  I have nothing against Amazon,  I order DVD's, print books,  clothing, etc. from them and they have terrific customer service.   If they were to add epub and the very nice touch of having the color book covers with the eink such as the Nook has then I would strongly consider it.  For me this is where the Nook has them beat,  aside from the library access.   Oh and of course there is that thing where you can try the book for an hour in a B&N store now.    

So far I haven't had a problem finding the books I want via B&N, Kobo and Sony.   Those that I haven't been able to find are not in ebook form at all.

Linda

This is also where I say it is a personal preference.  There are people who spend hundreds of dollars a year on software that may be completely obsolete a year or two from now and have to be purchased all over again in a new "readable" format.  Yet, I don't hear as many people worrying about it as I do ebooks.  The same can be said of DVDs.  I have far more invested in them than I do my ebooks.  The assumption is that epub will be the new global format.  But, that still remains to be seen.  It only works when the DRM is "friendly" with other devices.  B&N is no different than Apple in this situation at this time.  No one knows what Adobe will do in the future so there is no way to guarantee those books will be readable then on other devices.  Just as know one knows that epub will truly be the global format. Can you imagine if Apple and Amazon joined forces to offer one format?  It would definitely give epub a run for its money. 

Scribe
JdiennoPSU
0 Kudos

On engadget they show that the K3 has a microphone... I would post a link but...

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

This is also where I say it is a personal preference.  There are people who spend hundreds of dollars a year on software that may be completely obsolete a year or two from now and have to be purchased all over again in a new "readable" format.  Yet, I don't hear as many people worrying about it as I do ebooks.  The same can be said of DVDs.  I have far more invested in them than I do my ebooks.  The assumption is that epub will be the new global format.  But, that still remains to be seen.  It only works when the DRM is "friendly" with other devices.  B&N is no different than Apple in this situation at this time.  No one knows what Adobe will do in the future so there is no way to guarantee those books will be readable then on other devices.  Just as know one knows that epub will truly be the global format. Can you imagine if Apple and Amazon joined forces to offer one format?  It would definitely give epub a run for its money. 

You're right, it's a personal thing and each consumer has to make their own decision.  I have no desire to be locked into Amazon's format.   I like having a variety of choices,   the ability to read epub offers that.   I like knowing that I wouldn't have to discard my entire library if I wanted to move on to a different device and right now I have that with the Nook.  Amazon cannot offer that,  they can only tie you into theirs.   There may be no way of knowing for sure what the future will bring but I know what offers the most flexibility right now and in the immediate future.    

Now if you want to talk about giving the ereader market a run for it's money,  if Amazon were to offer it's own format plus epub as readable on the Kindle I think any other ereader would be hard pressed to match it.

Of course it would be nice someday not to have to deal with DRM at all and read whatever the heck we want on whatever ereader we choose.   I don't see it happening anytime soon.  So for now with it's flexibility,   the Nook stands out as the best choice for me.

Linda

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

mykoffee: " I like having a variety of choices, the ability to read epub offers that. I like knowing that I wouldn't have to discard my entire library if I wanted to move on to a different device and right now I have that with the Nook."

I was reading some information on the International Digital Publishing Forum website today. The IDPF are in the midst of creating the new standards for ePub. The "Working Group" sees the "...need for rich media and interactivity support. EPUB 2.0.1 has an extension mechanism, with provision for fallbacks, but does not intrinsically standardize support for rich media (such as video) and interactivity (programmatic content, such as would be needed to implement a quiz or crossword puzzle). These capabilities are necessary for interactive digital textbooks and digital magazines, and more generally to enable eBooks to evolve into a new medium, rather than simply be digital equivalents of paper books." (emphasis mine) Won't the next version of Nook need to have to capabilities closer to that of the iPad to properly render ePub 2.1? It certainly sounds like the "Working Group" is pushing ePub to have HTML5 and other e-ink unfriendly elements.

Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

I agree, different readers for different folks.  I wouldn't trade my Kindle for the world. I know many folks that think the Sony is great.  To me, the more the merrier.  We have what we want, to be able to carry our whole library with us, and helping our eyes with e-ink. 

Frequent Contributor
imno007
0 Kudos

...If they were to add epub and the very nice touch of having the color book covers with the eink such as the Nook has then I would strongly consider it. ...

Linda

Yeah, but one of the strong selling points of the new Kindles is the almost month long battery life - that would go out the window with a color lcd screen. :smileywink:
Personnaly, 'the next best thing' I'll be buying, if it's ever actually released, is the Notion Ink Adam with the Pixel Qi display. For anyone curious, you can see some details here:
http://www.notionink.in/