Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: The new kindle...Here it is

FrogAlum wrote:

ABthree wrote:

If and when Kindle can read epub files I'd consider it.  Until then, duplicate libraries?  No way!:smileysurprised:

I have a lot of books without DRM that I could put on either...  :smileyhappy:

Ah, but you're special! :smileywink:

Besides, to me the term "appropriate technology" means "makes my life easier".  Adding another layer of complexity to my eBooks -- as in, "what the hell machine do I have that one on!?!?" or worse "DAMMIT!!! I brought the wrong machine!" -- does not meet the definition. :smileyvery-happy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

Amazon is doing a very good job of marketing its Kindle. 

If you say you have an e-reader everyone assumes you have a Kindle.  nook?  What's that?

This is very important in the consumer world where people like to get on board the train they hear about most and the bulk don't do a whole lot of research. Yes Kindle was there first and that has a huge impact on market share and profit, initially anyway.  But they have maintained momentum.

B&N needs to get it's next update out soon and needs to get it's nook name out there. I see Kindle advertising everywhere, not nook. Amazon is moving ahead at a pace that it will be difficult for others to catch up with without some effort.

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

AllenR
0 Kudos

Personally I think battery life with an e-reader is an over-rated feature.  A marketing specification that is like horsepower in vehicles; everyone wants more, but don't necessarily need it.

Yes, cell phones are a pain when you run out of juice towards the end of the day, before you have the downtime and or the location to plug them in for a recharge.  Laptops are even worse.

With an e-reader, the fact that its power already lasts for several days means there are ample opportunities to recharge it.  Even if it only lasted 3 days, you normally have the chance to plug it in overnight at some point during that period.

A month for the new Kindle sounds impressive and will attract more buyers.  Does it really appeal to me?  No. It's a false enticement.  A week would be just fine for me.  There are more important features to think about.

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

AllenR
0 Kudos

sabst79 wrote:

That's because Amazon dropped the $2.00 charge.  if you're a US customer you can now browse the web and buy books while traveling w/out the charge.  in most countries I believe.

You can use the web over 3G on the Kindle?

Frequent Contributor
imno007
0 Kudos

Not that I'll be buying one, but I did notice the new Kindles will have one very simple but nice to have feature that should be available for the Nook already: pdf word lookups. :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee

AllenR wrote:

Personally I think battery life with an e-reader is an over-rated feature.  A marketing specification that is like horsepower in vehicles; everyone wants more, but don't necessarily need it.

Yes, cell phones are a pain when you run out of juice towards the end of the day, before you have the downtime and or the location to plug them in for a recharge.  Laptops are even worse.

With an e-reader, the fact that its power already lasts for several days means there are ample opportunities to recharge it.  Even if it only lasted 3 days, you normally have the chance to plug it in overnight at some point during that period.

A month for the new Kindle sounds impressive and will attract more buyers.  Does it really appeal to me?  No. It's a false enticement.  A week would be just fine for me.  There are more important features to think about.

I've never quite gotten all the fuss about the battery.  What is the big deal with plugging it in and charging it every few days?   I do this anyway, even if my battery is still half full.    I plug my cell in every night and my laptop will only go a few hours.    As long as an ereader will go several days then I'm fine with it.

I agree that there are other more important features to think about, at least for me personally.  The battery thing is about last on the list.  First at this point for me would be to better be able to organize your books.

Linda

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

AllenR wrote:

sabst79 wrote:

That's because Amazon dropped the $2.00 charge.  if you're a US customer you can now browse the web and buy books while traveling w/out the charge.  in most countries I believe.

Yes, the web browser works with 3G. There's no extra cost for that. It's a bit unpleasant but it works.

AllenR
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

AllenR wrote:

sabst79 wrote:

Yes, the web browser works with 3G. There's no extra cost for that. It's a bit unpleasant but it works.

Interesting.  

I remember saying this would be a good feature from B&N in my first post after buying my nook and was lambasted by some "well-established contributors" on here for wanting, unreasonably, free internet access.   :smileywink:

ABthree
0 Kudos

AllenR wrote:

Interesting.  

I remember saying this would be a good feature from B&N in my first post after buying my nook and was lambasted by some "well-established contributors" on here for wanting, unreasonably, free internet access.   :smileywink:

Oh, those stodgy "well-established contributors"!  LOL
Ooops!  Now you're one of those well-established contributors, too. :smileytongue:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
acesc
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

Hey, that's pretty cool!

Heck if Nook had that option from the beginning I probably would've spent the extra $50 for 3G. It would be great for the emergency mail checking while traveling. Not that I've used my Nook wifi internet at all at home. Can't figure out how to enter in my complicated password to check my mail! ... lol!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

AllenR wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

AllenR wrote:

sabst79 wrote:

Interesting.  

No, we said we didn't want to pay more for the nook when we almost without exception are already paying for internet access for our homes and/or phones.  Free global so I can check my email while traveling, yeah I would be willing to pay a little more for that but I honestly don't see the Nook getting to the global level, just MHO...

ABthree
0 Kudos

acesc wrote:
  Not that I've used my Nook wifi internet at all at home. Can't figure out how to enter in my complicated password to check my mail! ... lol!

Now, THAT'S a secure password:  you own it, and even YOU can't crack it!  :smileyvery-happy:

-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

"Temporarily Sold Out. Order now to reserve your place in line...Due to strong customer demand, Kindle is temporarily sold out. Order now to reserve your place in line. Orders are prioritized on a first come, first served basis. Orders placed today are expected to ship on or before September 4th."

I'm jaded enough to realize this announcement could be for effect.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
NoOne
0 Kudos

The new kindle looks fantastic. The one remaining problem with the Kindle is that it won't read any drm but Amazon's --it won't even read mobipocket drm, just undrm'd mobi. Library books are almost always drm'd. Not reading epub isn't an issue if you have epub that isn't drm because Calibre can change the format of any ebook that doesn't have drm.

One of the interesting things about the K3 is that includes hardware, a microphone that is not yet enabled but is provided for future use. This shows that that Amazon is planning some sort of software upgrade in the future that will make use of a microphone--verbal notes perhaps?

Has anyone heard anything about when the 2nd gen Nook will be out?  Next year perhaps?

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I fully admit to wanting one now. I don't even really know why, except that I would like to test it out. I love my nook and the plethora of purchasing options but I really want a kindle now!

Frequent Contributor
sabst79
0 Kudos

AllenR wrote:

sabst79 wrote:

Yes.  Its not the greatest interface but it did what I needed it to do when I was traveling.

Frequent Contributor
MLBerry

I still like my nook. 

1. I don't like being forced to buy only from Amazon.  I just don't like closed formats.  I like the ability to buy DRM free books directly from authors.  I don't like the way many authors are treated by the publishing houses so that they can't sell their own books eventhough the publisher won't reprint (but's that another problem) so

2. I charge my nook every night.  I just plug it in when I go to sleep so by and large the battery life is adaquate . 

3. I like the ability to have a spare battery if I want one.  I don't want a sealed battery.

4. I like a dedicated e-reader.  The ipad is both too much and to little.  It's more than you need for an e-reader and is not as useful as a laptop.  I view e-readers as a paperback book readers and they work fine for that purpose.

The only thing is really want is a way to organize files and sort both e-book files and audio files for ease of listening to music and audio books.

I don't really use all the other bells and whistles like games and internet (can't connect anyway).

I really want B&N to succeed in this and I really like e-books.  It overcomes my storage problems.  I would like to see B&N to be a real challenge to Amazon and I think they can do it.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Amazon obviously wants to take over the e-book world like they did with book distribution when they first started out.  The problem is that most people will allow them to do that even though it limits their e-book choices tremendously.  People are just not aware of different e-book formats.  To most people (and I'm generalizing here) an e-book is an e-book is an e-book.  For the most part, cost is the same for an e-book at Amazon as it is on B&N, Borders or anyplace else.  

My big thing is e-book library access.  Amazon can't give that to me.   As far as web browsing is concerned I've never used it on my Nook and it would be doubtful if I would ever use it on a Kindle either.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Amazon obviously wants to take over the e-book world like they did with book distribution when they first started out.  The problem is that most people will allow them to do that even though it limits their e-book choices tremendously.  People are just not aware of different e-book formats.  To most people (and I'm generalizing here) an e-book is an e-book is an e-book.  For the most part, cost is the same for an e-book at Amazon as it is on B&N, Borders or anyplace else.  

My big thing is e-book library access.  Amazon can't give that to me.   As far as web browsing is concerned I've never used it on my Nook and it would be doubtful if I would ever use it on a Kindle either.

I think it is more of people know what simply don't care.  When I bought my first Windows software, I knew it locked me into Wndows, same with Mac.  When I bought my first song on iTunes it locked me in, but I was fine with that.  Same with HD and Blu-ray.  Sometimes, the ease of the process and the quality of the product are more important to a customer than worrying about what is to come later down the road.  In my experience, Amazon is wonderful to work with for the Kindle.  CS is fantastic, ebooks are great, Kindle software is constantly updating.  Amazon shows it listens to its customers by giving us what we want and.....communicating with us!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Quite honestly in my opinion if a product is rolled out correctly there should be very little need for communication.  I've only called B&N customer service one time for an extremely minor question.  Ease of process is extremely important but in real life I am a Project Manager so I'm always thinking "down the road".  I understand that most / many people don't think this way and just do what's convenient now.  

I've been locked into too many companies over the years that are now not in business any more or don't support a product I've purchased.  To me, it's far more important to purchase a product with more open standards.  

Along those lines I just sold my iPhone 3G and have purchased an Android phone.  I just like the philosophy more.

►Without order there is chaos◄