Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
acesc
0 Kudos

Re: The new kindle...Here it is

ABthree wrote:

acesc wrote:
  Not that I've used my Nook wifi internet at all at home. Can't figure out how to enter in my complicated password to check my mail! ... lol!

Now, THAT'S a secure password:  you own it, and even YOU can't crack it!  :smileyvery-happy:

Yeah!

How awesome am I? :smileyvery-happy:

and modest too... :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Quite honestly in my opinion if a product is rolled out correctly there should be very little need for communication.  I've only called B&N customer service one time for an extremely minor question.  Ease of process is extremely important but in real life I am a Project Manager so I'm always thinking "down the road".  I understand that most / many people don't think this way and just do what's convenient now.  

I've been locked into too many companies over the years that are now not in business any more or don't support a product I've purchased.  To me, it's far more important to purchase a product with more open standards.  

Along those lines I just sold my iPhone 3G and have purchased an Android phone.  I just like the philosophy more.

There whould always be communication.  A company should let its customers know what updates will be coming in the future, anytime problems arise, how various issues are being fixed, etc. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

I don't think most people care.  They buy the product and only want to hear from the company if there's a problem.  Out of sight out of mind.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I don't think most people care.  They buy the product and only want to hear from the company if there's a problem.  Out of sight out of mind.

For me, Retailer Utopia is somewhere in the middle.  I like knowing SOME about the things to come but get so tired of getting email after email about every little thing that I stop reading them at all.  Also, if you keep telling me what you are going to improve, you give me no chance to be happy with what I have :smileyhappy:  That said, however, I would LOVE to hear a little more from BN on when the next upgrade is on its way and if it will address the issues that come up every other post on these boards i.e. file organization, etc. 

Prompt and quality customer service when I reach out for information is vital to any customer loyalty from me.  I have ordered some items through Amazon such as mp3's and recently, a mobile phone, and have to say the customer service response was very good to my inquiries.  I've not had any reason to contact BN on my nook or eBook purchases which IMO would also fall into the category of a "very good experience" :smileyhappy:

Hope to see you later at...

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I would have to agree with you Deb.  My feelings almost exactly.

Frequent Contributor
_deb_
0 Kudos

Besides, to me the term "appropriate technology" means "makes my life easier".  Adding another layer of complexity to my eBooks -- as in, "what the hell machine do I have that one on!?!?" or worse "DAMMIT!!! I brought the wrong machine!" -- does not meet the definition. :smileyvery-happy:

Amen!  I could have identical libraries on each one but already have too many gadgets in my life that require updating, charging, syncing, etc. that duplicating one is not a choice for me.  When ready to purchase an ereader, I evaluated the choices available to me at that time, ensured they would meet MY requirements for the foreseeable future, and made the decision.  If I purchased multiple cell phones, printers, laptops, ereaders, etc just to have a sample of all the latest goodies available, I would be not only be bankrupt, but overwhelmed and confused to the point of just going back to my Brother word processor, landline phone, and all DTB library!  Technology, for me, is purchased to make life easier and simpler....for me that means "one toy at a time" :smileywink:

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

_deb_ wrote:

Technology, for me, is purchased to make life easier and simpler....for me that means "one toy at a time" :smileywink:

With a charging cable and an outlet for each of them... When we go on vacation now I can't forget any of my charging cables... Crazy stuff...

Frequent Contributor
Coaxial_Creature
0 Kudos

You can buy in MOBI format for the Kindle.  I don't know where people get the idea that Kindle is a 100% closed system, but it's not.   I've bought a few books that aren't from the Amazon store, and I haven't had any problem sideloading them. 

Bones: Once, just once I'd like to be able to land someplace and say: "Behold, I am the archangel Gabriel."
Spock: I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor.
Bones.: Naturally, you could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mr. Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork...
~Bread and Circuses
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Coaxial_Creature wrote:

You can buy in MOBI format for the Kindle.  I don't know where people get the idea that Kindle is a 100% closed system, but it's not.   I've bought a few books that aren't from the Amazon store, and I haven't had any problem sideloading them. 

It also does a great job with PDF files.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Coaxial_Creature wrote:

With all due respect, I think that the operative words in the foregoing are "few" and most importantly, the elephant that isn't in the room, "epub".  :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

_deb_ wrote:

Amen!  I could have identical libraries on each one but already have too many gadgets in my life that require updating, charging, syncing, etc. that duplicating one is not a choice for me.  When ready to purchase an ereader, I evaluated the choices available to me at that time, ensured they would meet MY requirements for the foreseeable future, and made the decision.  If I purchased multiple cell phones, printers, laptops, ereaders, etc just to have a sample of all the latest goodies available, I would be not only be bankrupt, but overwhelmed and confused to the point of just going back to my Brother word processor, landline phone, and all DTB library!  Technology, for me, is purchased to make life easier and simpler....for me that means "one toy at a time" :smileywink:

Totally with ya there Deb!

Linda

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Coaxial_Creature wrote:

With all due respect, I think that the operative words in the foregoing are "few" and most importantly, the elephant that isn't in the room, "epub".  :smileywink:

But, for someone who doesn't care if epub dominates or not, they may not need to shop elsewhere.  For many, Amazon has by far a better selection of books.  Often, I find that the books at varying companies are all the same in common.  (Of course there are always exceptions to that).  But, as of today, Amazon has over 667,000 books.  That isn't too bad for one retailer on their own. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

ABthree wrote:

Coaxial_Creature wrote:

But, for someone who doesn't care if epub dominates or not, they may not need to shop elsewhere.  For many, Amazon has by far a better selection of books.  Often, I find that the books at varying companies are all the same in common.  (Of course there are always exceptions to that).  But, as of today, Amazon has over 667,000 books.  That isn't too bad for one retailer on their own. 

A BIG closed garden is still a closed garden.  For those that want to live in one, it is undoubtedly a good choice.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
_deb_

Alley415 wrote:

I have to wonder why you feel so strongly about convincing Nook users on a Nook board that the Kindle is the better option???  Are some aspects of the new Kindle great?  I am sure they are.  However, the majority of Nook users purchased their choice of eReader because they preferred the options it offered.  You are not going to convince them - in their own backyard so to speak - that they made a mistake.

AlanNJ

Alley415 wrote:

The key word in the above statement is "shop".  I much prefer to "borrow" from the library if I can.  My wallet prefers it as well.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

The key word in the above statement is "shop".  I much prefer to "borrow" from the library if I can.  My wallet prefers it as well.

This is absolutely true.  I told one of my mom's best friends today that she should get a nook for just that reason.  She wanted to be able to get free ebooks and we all know those are limited depending on what you want.

IMO, if a person wants global access to ebooks they need a Kindle.  If they want to borrow from the library, they need a nook.  Other than that it is all relative to what a person wants.  Both are solid ereaders.  We will be getting a nook wifi a little close to my husband's return.  It should save us a small fortune in ebook costs just allowing him to read in store and borrow from the library.

Contributor
Strathmore
0 Kudos

My wallet loves my Nook as well. I received it in mid January and have downloaded and read 27 books from the public library. Most were current titles. If I had bought all those books, I would have spent over $250!

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Alley415 wrote:

And they will have to discard their library if they move on to another reader.  No thanks! 

Otherwise,  I have nothing against Amazon,  I order DVD's, print books,  clothing, etc. from them and they have terrific customer service.   If they were to add epub and the very nice touch of having the color book covers with the eink such as the Nook has then I would strongly consider it.  For me this is where the Nook has them beat,  aside from the library access.   Oh and of course there is that thing where you can try the book for an hour in a B&N store now.    

So far I haven't had a problem finding the books I want via B&N, Kobo and Sony.   Those that I haven't been able to find are not in ebook form at all.

Linda

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee

Coaxial_Creature wrote:

You know whenever people point this out they neglect to mention that it's only MOBI that does not contain DRM.    There's nothing wrong with helping people make an informed decision but do them the service of being upfront about it.    Most popular authors use formats that contain DRM,  if you have a Kindle you will only be able to get those at Amazon.

From Amazon's webpage -

Kindle (AZW), TXT, PDF, Audible (Audible Enhanced (AA, AAX)), MP3, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively; HTML, DOC, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP through conversion.

Linda

AlanNJ

I posted the below on another thread but now that I think about it I think it's appropriate here as well.  Anyway, not to start crossposting too much but here goes:

I purchased a Nook.  I did not purchase B&N.  B&N is one of many sources where I get my books.  They're the most convenient to purchase from with a Nook but the fact of the matter is that if B&N went out of business tomorrow I'd still be able to use my Nook.  If Amazon went out of business tomorrow my Kindle (if I had one) would be essentially worthless for getting more books.  The Nook is a device but it is much less manufacturer-specific than a Kindle is.